Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumper Storage Compartment Question

Ok Jon,

You're scarying me now. Tires sizes...spares...greasy guys beating up the wheels...

Let me just ask you one question.

Did you bring a spare with you to POG II?

MM

Jeff Bayley Guest

Jon-

Thanks for the info on changing the spare. There is a bracket in one of the rear access bays that looks like it probably used to hold a factory jack. Missing now. I think this was missing on my other bus also. If one WAS going to attempt gathering the right tools to keep on hand for the job, is this one of the jacks you would recommend (factory type). If I'm going to have to start buying stuff would you recommend something different ? I think there is room for all the tools / jacks in the front where the spare tire is. If I'm not going to convert that to storage, and if I'm going to keep the spare in there, then I might as well have all the other necessary tools to change it. Hmmmm. Not sure what to do.

How many of your have experienced a flat and how many of your have changed it yourself ? I have Good Sams and AAA (with RV option) but do these guys show up with a wheel and tire for you ? Do they sell it to you ? Loan it to you?

Harry, I guess the automatic latch for the bumper tray makes yet a 2nd reason to try to meet up with you in addition to the battery stuff eh? You must be a wizard with just about everything. On the latch, does it just lock and unlock or is it motorized all the way up and down? I think I saw a motorized one on a few coaches. I wouldn't need to access it frequently. By the way, there is no cruise air in there. I have roof A/C's.

I would like to hear what others use this storage space for. If I ditched the spare, I would use it to put the following items which are stored elsewhere now: Spare water hoses and washing stuff. Box full of extra belts. Portable flood light, inventory of business stuff that I don't need to access often, unicycle (still waiting for an offer from the circus). Other ???

The floor plan and storage on these buses was most underestimated by me in the beginning. First bus, didn't give it a thought. 2nd bus- I said "Oh that's better than my other bus" and now it seems even more important to me. I've been living in mine full time for 2.5 years and am just now buying a house in Florida but I really don't even want to move into that house. I like the bus. If I upgrade again I will buy another used one and I'll pick out the replacement based on how I like the storage inside and below. If anyone else has a Royal I can show you how I modified the storage inside. This bus was absolutely horrible on drawer space and the closet design. You have to make every inch of space count and even with my revisions it leaves so much to be desired. A submarine designer would be a good designer for the storage on these buses I'm sure.

I would like to hear what others have done in the way of additions or modifications (especially on Royal) to improve on storage.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 10-30-2006 at 05:54 AM.

Mike,

I no longer carry a spare because I no longer use the bus for trade shows or seminars. When I traveled to a schedule I carried a full spare with the wheel polished on both sides. It went with the old bus when I sold it. Now that I'm unemployed I don't have to worry.

Jeff et al,

All our coaches originally came with a bottle jack and a lug nut / front bumper wrench. They were mounted in a little compartment directly behind the RH steer tire wheel well, accessible from the first bay. On the passenger side first bay the forward bulkhead behind the wheel has a pair of panels secured with a few screws. Remove the panels and unless someone has removed them your jack and wrench should be there.

Orren Zook Guest

I think that 'ditty' applied to USS and SAE bolt thread & nut combinations. You are correct in that Budd style wheels use LH and RH threads in their studs, inner and outer nuts. The correct use is determined by the side of the vehicle. 'Unimount' metric stud and nut combinations are threaded the same way on both sides of the vehicle - these are found on newer trucks, I'd guess the bus manufacturers have also made this change.

BTW if you are really contemplating your own flat repair don't forget a good set of spoons to dismount and remount the tire - and maybe a can of ether to blow the bead back up on the rim.....
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 10-30-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Despite the pure joy and excitement that comes from igniting an ether filled tire, any time I have mounted them I use a set of ratcheting straps (such as to secure a load on a small trailer) around the middle of the tire tread and that usually is sufficient to seal the bead. Not as impressive, but it works.

I have never mounted a tire on a wheel on the road, but have changed a tire already mounted on the road. I save the joy of breaking a tire and wheel down until I am home.

For those who check their tire pressures on the road, your reward for being a responsible bus driver is to have the inner drive axle Schrader valve fail to seat. It has happened to me twice and it involves removal of the outer drive axle wheel to access the valve stem core and replace it. All other valve stem cores can be changed without removing the wheel. Bring tools to do that and soe spare cores.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg
    For those who check their tire pressures on the road, your reward for being a responsible bus driver is to have the inner drive axle Schrader valve fail to seat. It has happened to me twice and it involves removal of the outer drive axle wheel to access the valve stem core and replace it. All other valve stem cores can be changed without removing the wheel. Bring tools to do that and soe spare cores.
    Holly Cow! Valve stems ? Beading the tire? What the $#%& ? I can't fiddle with all that. he,he Are you guys talking about putting air in the spare ? I have a spare tire already mounted on the rim and with air inside. Sounds like some one is talking about keeping a spare tire only with no rim and changing that out ???? I would'nt even attempt jacking it up I don't think much less thinking I'm capable of working a new tire into place. You guys do that ? Whoa. Impressive if that's the case. The main argument in this thread for leaving the spare there so far is that someone said the right size wheel and tire is not very common. I don't care about limping to the next tire shop on a spare this isn't absolutly the correct size. That is ok. But you at least need to know you can get the right rim. The rims are more standard (aren't they?).

Jeff

Jeff, If you have a tire fail on the road so it has to be replaced your spare will be a godsend. Our tire sizes are just not in stock at most places. A long time ago it was suggested to just go to the local bus company and buy one of their tires, but most bus companies lease their tires, so they couldn't sell you one if they wanted to.

Your wheels are not going to be replaced so you do not have to worry about that.

BTW, this is a serious issue because our tires are literally what keeps us on the road. If you use a bus to meet a schedule you need a plan in the event of a tire failure, but the best approach is to monitor tire pressures and make sure they each carry the pressure required based on the weight each tire is carrying. An underinflated tire is a candidate for a blowout. Also, conventional wisdom suggests that even if the tread is still deep on the tires, once they are about 5 or 6 years old they need to be replaced.

Jeff:

I agree with Jon, check your tire pressures EVERY MORNING before heading out on the super slab. Also, when you stop for a coffee break take a walk around the coach and feel the tires to see if they are hot. If one feels hot check the pressure, it may be losing air. Use your air hose to air it up if it is low and drive to the closest truck stop. Also, remember the tow car; check those tires also.

My coach has 11 R 24.5 tires, which can be found at any truck stop that sells tires. It is a very common size, most truckers use this tire. My steering tires are a different story, they are 315/80 R 22.5 (load range L, I think). They are not as common.

I don't carry a spare because I am not on a schedule and I always have my tow vehicle with me. If I get a flat in the middle of nowhere, I disconnect and drive to the nearest truck stop(assuming no cell service available).

In 14 years of motorhoming, I have put 250,000 miles on my MHs, and I have had 2 flats. Hopefully this will put your worries in perspective. Plan ahead, like Jon says - be prepared and you won't be sorry.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

win42 Guest

I would guess 99.9% of us have an emergency road service policy that covers flat tires or break downs on the road. The service you receive depends on the exact information you give the service people. After notifying your emergency person at the Insurance Co. Tell them, after they select a road service that , you must talk directly with that service before they dispatch a truck. It is now your your responsability to relay the tire and wheel size, the weight of your unit, the type of jacking equipment required, the position of the vehicle related to terrain, off or on hard surface and most important the exact location and description of your vehicle.

If your coach is dead and requires a tow you need to discuss the capabilities of their tow unit and relate to them that you are prepared to pull your axels prior to towing. At this point you better had prepared yourself per Jons instructions with tools, axel pulling bolts and blank off plates to stop the oil while towing. Decide where and to whom you want it towed to.

You can leave it all to the service people to decide, but you better be prepared to accept any thing they do.

You know, its like being in shop class all over again when I Log in to this POG. Great Job you guys. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide