Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumper Storage Compartment Question

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Bumper Storage Compartment Question

I'm thinking of disposing of the spare tire currently in the front bumber bay and using it for storage. Someone said that it is a waste of time to carry the spare around becuase you can't change it yourself anyway and that whoever comes to change it (who DOES come by the way? Tow truck ?) would bring a wheel and tire with them. I'm not so sure about that. Would appreicate some opinions on this and also to know if there are some large wing handled bolts that might be used in place of the very large standard hex nuts in place now in order to more easily access the bumper bay storage. Or whatever other modifications you have made to access more easily.

Jeff

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Default Bumper Storage Compartment

Winchester uses his to carry around raw meat, in fear that he may run out.

This is one of those deals that can be quite different from converter to converter. Our Vogue has a stainless steel interior with dampening springs, so that when you open it the heavy bumper doesn't break your feet. Some coaches, I believe a few CC, have an inside switch so that it will open without undoing the two big bolts.

The idea with the spare tire compartment is that if it is a seated coach, the driver can change a tire on site. I can't get away from the image of 50 passengers standing around whilst a driver wheels around a 250-pound tire or two!

Each conversion will likely be different. Oh, the bumper bolts should be the same size as the PCC-supplied wrench handle with your jack, if that's your system, so no other tool need be supplied. Here's a caution: If your bolts are chrome, careful when using the PCC handle as it will scratch said bolts. Good luck finding replacements. Probably only Lew's Tru-Value has them in stock.

Other converters have stuff in the spare tire compartment, using the space for a/c and possibly other wires and funny tubes and things.

Our stainless compartment is pretty water-tight, but not enough to carry donuts to bribe LEO's however.

Open 'er up and see what you've got to work with. It's a big space and it makes sense to be able to use the space for dead storage or 'C' inventory, but watch how much weight you put there. Remember you are some distance from the steer tires and really heavy weight is going to be a big lever.

If you don't have some sort of support mechanism when opening the bumper, one would be highly recommended because that sucker drops pretty fast when the bolts are loosened.

Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

Default Spare tire..

Foontoon:

You're right! I know that I wouldn't want to change a tire. In 14 years I have had 2 flats; I just called a truck stop and they sent out a road service truck with a new tire. In about 1 hour I was on my way. Both flats were blow outs.

Google "Trucker's Friend" and you can get a book listing all of the truck stops in the U.S.

The down side to this approach is that you may be stranded in an area that is out of cell phone range. Also, you may be too far from a truck stop; unlikely if you travel the interstates. Regardless, I like this as opposed to changing the flat myself.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

It is possable to change your tire with the jack and tools supplied.

If we did not have 2 cruise airs in that spot we would carry the spare.

These campers are loaded with redundent stuff and most of us carry no spares, not without good reasons, but nevertheless still the situation.

We all could probably immagine the bill for a new tire and emergency service on the road. We pull a P-U with a cap and I have seriously concidered carrying a spare in that.

I was thinking about rebuilding an air dryer for everyone at the next rally, you gotta pull a tire to more easily assess it, mabye Ill pull it with the Prevo supplied tools just for kicks.

We arent afraid to get our hands dirty, are we?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 10-29-2006 at 08:24 AM.

win42 Guest

Jeff B: Are you sure the space does not contain a Cruise Air?
    Most of our insurance policies contain free road service. Our Progressive Policy does anyway. I
    f you want to do it right, spring return the bumper closed and air cylinder it open. Remove the bolts and get SS cap plugs to put in the bolt holes. This area could be used in the future to mount machine guns for fighting Alquida when they get here.
    H

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Tell more about parts

Quote Originally Posted by win42
    I
    f you want to do it right, spring return the bumper closed and air cylinder it open. Remove the bolts and get SS cap plugs to put in the bolt holes.
    Can you clarify this portion ? Seems like your description includes replacemnt of the SS botls spring return and air cylinder but I din't know what these parts are or where to find them.

Thank you,

Jeff

win42 Guest

Jeff B : All new parts to be added to make a safe semi automatic access to your front bumper compartment. No bolts to deal with, push an air switch and it will open, push it again it will close. If you want to do it, let me know and I'll come up with a design and a parts list. How many POGERS are interested in addind this feature?
    Harry

Jeff Bayley Guest

Harry- Does the automatic open and close feature require very much work ? Is it glitchy or rock solid ? I guess I need to know a bit more. If this doesn't require a lot of customization then I'll go for it. It seems like a big wing nut would get me by in the meantime but finding a wing nut (bolt) that large is probabley like trying to track down the reverse threads for the hub covers.

Jeff

There's nothing like Changing a tire on the Freeway with Trucks and cars passing @ 70- 80 MPH. Boost the tire and get a on the road policy. All you need is a cell phone. Try WWW.Coach-Net.com
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Here are a few doses of reality, not meant to sway anyone in one direction or another, but to pass along some information.

Sorry, Joe. You cannot change a tire that has been properly torqued with the tools supplied by Prevost. 500 foot pounds is just too much, but if you have a torque multiplier you can loosen and tighten the nuts with ease.

JPJ....Your ditty about tightening may apply to some other brand coaches, but ours have LH threads on the driver's side and RH on the passenger side. Anybody that does try to change there tires needs to remember that otherwise they will have a tough time of it loosening those driver side nuts.

You will not readily find our size tires if you have a failure on the road. both 12R 22.5 and the 315R 22.5 are not commonly found. If you have a blowout, as opposed to a puncture you may be forced to used a size not specified for the coach. In that instance, make sure the odd size tire ends up on the tag axle.

If you do travel to a schedule I suggest carrying a spare (sorry XLII guys, with your variety of sizes you may have a problem), not so you can change it yourself, but so you have the right size tire.

I also suggest if you intend to change your own to use two jacks and carry some blocking. You are likely to have trouble raising an axle enough to clear the ground with a flat tire.

Changing your tires is not that big a deal if you have the tools, and I prefer to do it than to watch the guy with the truck and greasy tools beat the hell out of my wheels. I can have it changed or a flat plugged before the truck gets to me anyway.