Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prevost Service records

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Prevost has some fuuny rules. Now, as I have been informed by a POG member, if you ask for a bid from Prevost for some work on your coach and you then decide to take the work else where, Prevost will bill you for the bid. 10% of the bid. So, be careful.
    A few months ago, while researching some work needed on Evangeline that amounted to a partial suspension overhaul, I solicited detailed quotes from several vendors including some recommended POG sponsors and Prevost Nashville. I was shocked to see that the Prevost quote was almost $13,000 over the next highest bidder! I expected them to be a little higher maybe - but more than double? Give me a break! Well - surprise! They didn't get the work (and I didn't choose the lowest bidder either). I've not been billed anything for the quote - so far! But if they do get the notion to bill me for that ridiculous quote, they'd be more apt to get blood from a rock than any money from me! On the other hand, I did buy all the parts for the job from them - but I did that separately on the phone with my parts contact there without referring to the request for quote, which was handled by the service manager.

Michael, have you or a previous owner done any suspension work on your coach prior to these estimates, your signature shows you have 110000 or so miles on it just wondered how often this has to be addressed. Are you talking air bags, valves,shocks, steering etc?

In my business, if a customer keeps requesting bids and I never see the work, I simply don't bid to them any longer. In Prevosts case, they're kind of stuck , they have to bid Prevost insurance work , repairs, etc. I don't see anything wrong wih it as long as you know up front. They just don't want to be used as a second or third bid. It cost money to price jobs.
    I would also say if there is a less expensive bid from competoitors, I would share the info with Prevost. They will eventually get the message they are not competitive.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I am at Prevost Fw tonight and I am not happy. They started at 8:00 this am doing a chassis insp. Then an outside contractor showed up at 9:00 (as scheduled)to do an alignment and performed the work in about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to Prevost telling me it takes 4 to 5 to do. Then the mechanic changed my oil, filters etc. Then the coach sat ther till 6:30 when I went and told the guys in the shop it didn't look like any one was going to perform moore work, so back the coach out and I will go park it. The svc. Mgr. Told me at 3:00 they were going to get started shortly and work till 12:00. Wrong!
    These folks get absolutely no performance out of there shop. Out of all the trips to a Prevost shop I have made, I would bet you the coach has spent More time sitting than time being worked on. I will say I am happy with the work that has been done so far but it is absolutely a back end whipping to get it done. Some one please recommend a good place to go to have normal maintanence and routine svc done. I have seldom had any work done that could no have been done by many of the old converters mechanichs.

Buddy, I also would like a recommendation in the DFW area for Bus work. I have an appointment on the 1st for a level 3, but based on what I have read here, they may not get my business, we are on the road and don't have time for a poorly run shop to use our time and money in such a manor.

On a related subject, we tried to get work done last week and they had no parking due to freeloaders filling their parking lot and no room for customers.

Seems they must have too much work to treat the customer this way in such an economy.

I , too , am a bit perplexed with Prevost service work. I was in Nashville two weeks ago. I had a question about the bill I received and called about it three days ago......................... still no answer? I was only questioning 1 hour out of 11. I was right there with them the entire time they were working on it so I know how long they took.

Up to this past trip I was generally happy with what they did but this time was a bit "trying" to say the least. I found it difficult to get an answer and it seemed no one was really in charge??
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

I guess I would have to agree with Jon, If this going to be the norm as per service and questions to Prevost, then it's a golden opportunity for a company willing to give good and timely service, although we are still under the thumb so to speak when it comes to parts!

We have as POG members and sponsors a lot of highly qualified and skilled shops. They participate on our forum. They have vast experience, not only with the house, but with the chassis.

I am confident it POG members are seeking an alternative to Prevost for chassis service that we can convince these folks to set themselves up to service the Prevost Chassis.

I have stuck my nose in a lot of places on my coach dealing with maintenance issues and repairs. When I started doing it I had no specific knowledge of what was involved but learned that with a good set of tools and a suitable place to perform the work the Prevost chassis is actually not overly difficult to work on. All of the sponsors in my mind are more than qualified to step in and do the work. There will be limitiations. But Prevost also has limitations. Engine and transmission work is not done by Prevost, but by Detroit or Allison. So that will not change. There may be problems dealing with body work, whether the coach is riveted or not, but there are shops that already possess that expertise.

There may be some jobs that are just nasty and a shop might not want to get involved. I cannot picture too many shops that might have the facility or means to deal with fuel tanks for example, or pulling a differential, or replacing windows on an XLII. (Side windows or awning windows).

But our routine jobs like brakes (chambers, slack adjusters, pads, shoes, etc), suspension (air bags, norgren valves, etc.) oil changes, lubes, routine inspections, radiator replacement, coolant service, slide seal replacement, hub seal replacement, bearings, U-joints, electrical trouble shooting and repairs, alternators, AC service, are all common and well within the skill set of anyone capable of doing repairs on the conversion.

I would hope all of the sponsors who wish to step in and become a one stop shop to service the conversion and chassis would post it here and tell us what their range of capabilities will be and what we as POG members need to do to avail ourselves of their service.

As POG members we need to support these folks because from what we see and read Prevost does not have a business model that makes it easy for individual owners to get the service they need at a reasonable price. I think they view older coaches as a pain.

I also think that we as POG member need to realize that any sponsor who steps in to fill the void has to make money. They are not in business because they have nothing better to do. Our sponsors are in it for the money and profit is not a four letter word. As customers we need to be willing to pay a fair price and we need to allow the sponsor to make money. For example, If it takes 8 to 10 hours to replace a set of air bags it is not unreasonable to expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1000 or more for the labor to install them. Also, if the sponsor sees that the brake linings or pads are getting down and also should be replaced, don't assume he is trying to stiff you for more money. Pay attention and take his advice. It is always more efficient for you and the sponsor to deal with these tasks when the sponsor is already in there and can do additional work rather than postponing what has to be done.

I think as this situation unfolds POG members need to come together as a group so our collective muscle can be used for the good of ourselves and our sponsors. We need them as much as they need us and we already know them because they support us at our rallies and with valuable information they post on our forum.

Just a brain dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael View Post
    Michael, have you or a previous owner done any suspension work on your coach prior to these estimates, your signature shows you have 110000 or so miles on it just wondered how often this has to be addressed. Are you talking air bags, valves,shocks, steering etc?
    Gary - to the best of my knowledge, this is the first suspension work done on my coach. The spec'd work includes all air bags, all shocks, 3 ride height adjustment kits, all brake chambers, swaybar and shock bushings, drag link boot, and air dryer cartridge replacement. I'm waiting on one more small shipment of parts that are in transit (5 more brake hoses) and then the work will commence in a couple of weeks.

Well said Jon, I for one like to do SOME of my own work, however while on the road that is almost impossible either in terms of facilities or time. I have never used Prevost but as I am sitting in the Dallas area I thought I would give them a try, just want them to be organized enough to not waste our time. The work requested is not trick and a good shop certainly perform it without much problem, just need those sponsors to step forward.