Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big time air leak

Pete, here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Jim, got it! Thanks a million!
    Pete

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Just finished the replacement of both front air bags. Thanks for your input Jon, and for the picture sent by Jim. I used my new jack stands (thanks again Jon) and they worked perfectly. I modified the air bags using the method Jon provided, and the pic Jim sent. The job was not as difficult as it may seem to be, and now that I have been through the change I would do it again without hesitation. One of the bags was dated 1994, and the other 1996. The 94 bag was the one that failed. It would be helpful if there was a date stamp on the bags so you cold get an idea of the age of the bag without removing it, as the mfg. date is on a label on the top of the bag.
    After discussing with Jon, I replaced both bags with the (Goodyear P/N 1R11-244) Prevost P/N 630259. Prevost overnighted the bags in 1 day, (FYI, the old bags were Prevost P/N 63-0126). Again, thanks Jon for stopping what you were doing to help with your advice on this project. We have a great group of folks on this forum.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Glad to help and I love it when a POG member finds working on the coach is not as hard as it may first appear.

I know I harp on air bags and how a failed air bag will shut you down. Pete's example is a good one. When we talked he understood how lucky he was that his air bag failure occurred at his home. If an air bag fails when you are on the road, the air system cannot make air fast enough and the bus is literally undriveable. I am changing my air bags out every 10 years regardless of condition because the coast of premature replacement is a whole lot less than the cost of having your bus winched up onto a trailer. If the front air bags are failed it is probable you will end up with damage to the coach because the front end cannot be raised to get the bus up onto the trailer.

I would rather eat bees than see my coach on a trailer or on the hook on a tow truck.

Mike,
    Have you sold the 97' Liberty ? I saw it on your site and we live in Plant City FL. Checked out Parliament and did not see it.
    Thanks
    Robert Johnson
    904-225-8695
    92' Liberty
    Last edited by antioch01; 12-29-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added phone number

For anyone that is looking for a torque multiplier, I found some on e-bay for $175 including 4 impact sockets. Not as elegant as the one pictured in MangoMikes post but should work well for our application.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

AprilWhine Guest

Thanks for the link.

Jim