Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extended RV Warranties

Default Extended RV Warranties

It was brought to my attention by a member that some RV Extended Warranty companies are not delivering on their promises. I spoke with several dealers and converters who do not believe in them.

What is the experience of membership with RV Extended Warranties?

Jim

No Personal Experience, but then again I have an old bus, way out of any warranty.

I believe in some Extended Warranty plans, but not all of them. Bus warranty probably not ? But you never know.

Gary S.

I, like Gary, have not had any personal experiences with extended warranties. However, my brother-in-law purchased one 3 years ago and he said that he liked it. He felt that he saved money. I have some reservations about that.

From what I have read on the internet forums; RVNet, POG, etc. they are not worth the paper they are written on. It is buying an insurance policy to cover potential repairs. You can bet your sweet bippie the insurance company is coming out on top and you are going to get the short end of the stick. Book it!

The insurance companies have acctuairies (probably spelled wrong) that calculate the likelyhood of a "covered" repair occuring in a given time period. The cumulative premiums charged by the insurance company will cover the average total of all expenses plus a nice profit for the insurance company. The consumer is going to lose; the insurance company is NOT going to do you any favors - trust me!

Can you tell that I don't like insurance companies!
    Last edited by merle&louise; 11-03-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

The best insurance is to maintain the coach to the highest degree possible. When you buy insurance you and the insurance company are betting against one another, and the odds favor the insurance company. They not only have your money, but they write the rules and make the decisions.

I have had extended warranties on the plastic side and they aren't worth the paper they're written on!

Jim, Is that Movie Star Margaret ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim, I have an extended warranty plan. Good Sam extended service plan from Affinity Brokerage, Inc. I have not needed to use it, so could not say one way or the other what problems if any would be involved. Just thought that I would try it for 3 yrs, some repair cost can run in the thousands of dollars even with regular service.

We do not sell warranties ourselves. We recommend the Good Sam CSP program to our customers that want/need a warranty. The warranties are not inexpensive, and typically a consumer will not have covered repairs that exceed the cost of the policy. If a customer is financing their purchase, and are on a tight/fixed budget they can provide peace of mind as the monthly cost is nominal. For most people, I believe it is worth the risk to not have the warranty, stay on top of the maintenance, and do repairs as needed. Just be aware that sometimes expensive failures can, and do occur, so be prepared. We would definitely recommend doing some research prior to purchasing a service contract. I would also recommend checking with your preferred repair facility to make sure they work with that provider. You will find that some shops will require the coach owner to pay for the repair themselves, and then collect from the contract company.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

I had an extended warranty from one of the independent companies on an American Dream that was supposed to cover almost everything on it. I blew a tire and wiped out an air bag. They wouldn't pay for the air bag because it was damaged by the tire. They said they would have paid if it had just died on its own. I think if they don't have a rule to "get out of paying a claim", they will make up one when the time comes.
    Last edited by dale farley; 11-04-2010 at 10:45 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Which company, please.