Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Girard Awnings driver side

I'm not a big fan of powered awnings having had two unpowered ones come unrolled or torn from the coach, neither of which is fun. When a sudden wind comes up the retraction time on a powered awning just exposes the awning and coach to the risk of damage. But if I were to have an awning cantilevered off the side/top of the coach I would insist on having the structural support external. If an installation relies on internal backing plates or through bolts and there is no easy way to access that structure to retighten it or repair it I can envision some serious expenses potentially being incurred.

If Gary wants a retrofit, it seems a structure that goes across the entire roof would easily replace internal members located essentially at the top corner. That crosswise structure can be installed onto the coach roof support ribs and in lieu of sheet metal screws devices such as rivnuts can provide secure threaded fastening. It just requires someone to create the appropriate support framework. The decorative cover would keep the structural part out of sight. It bothers me when a converter does not consider future modifications and repairs and Ben is right about a Liberty ceiling. It would be cheaper to buy a new coach than to try to remove and replace one. I found that out while trying to jam a new refrigerator into an opening that was too small and the ceiling was secured to the top fascia. The fascia had to be cut in place, attached to the ceiling because there was no way of removing it short of removing the ceiling, something I was told I did not want to do.

I think I have changed my mind about this! 46000 thats a new toad.

Gary. Does'nt your slide have a zip dee attached to cover the slides? If not, I would recommend those as they roll out when the slides roll out and then you can manually open them down to shade the windows. That's what I have and they are no trouble.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary, yes that's how all this started over coffee one morning we were talking about the coach and how nice it was and well built, she asked "why does Liberty just put one 2 section power lateral arm awning on the coach?" As much as we pay for these things you would think they would be on both sides. I said well I don't know! but will see if an upgrade is possible, our old coach had them on both sides. so that's how we got here. Now I think I will replace just the canvas on drivers side, I'll get a quote from a couple sponsers Heck now I am afraid to ask Prevost for one!