Thread: water pump options to replace headhunter or solutions to headhunter pump problems

Hybrid View

Default water pump options to replace headhunter or solutions to headhunter pump problems

we have a 2001 royale and have been fighting headhunter issues for what seems an eternity!!!!
    replaced leaking pump with their new model and have now added the accumulator tank. we are presently reconnected, however, the toilet flushes fine during the daytime, but when we head to bed and do a "test flush" it flushes and flushes and flushes, etc, etc....long enough to put on your shoes, walk outside around the coach to open the bay and hit the switch to turn the pump off. what a pain...we never know when the endless flush will strike again!! the headhunter guy says it is caused by air in the line, if so why does it only happen occasionally?
    we are almost to the point of fighting to get our money back and pursue other options.
    we've heard others have abandoned headhunter because of price and problems. we would appreciate any alternatives to our present predicament!!!

Welcome to the asylum we call POG.

As has been mentioned many times before we have answers to any question, but those answers may not be right.

As I read your post I had several questions that may help you get an accurate answer. First, you said it flushes and flushes and flushes, etc, etc. Does that mean the toilet (I assume it is a Headhunter toilet) keeps running as opposed to individual flushes?

The reason for asking is a continuous non stop flow of water as a result of a flush not stopping is a problem associated with the HeadHunter flush valve.

I also have a question about how your coach is set up, not because it will solve the problem, but because your solution seems unusual. Can you not turn your pump on or off from inside the coach? I am not familiar with Royale but it seems to me there should be a switch to control the pump inside.

As to "air in the line" that sounds bogus. If your toilet runs continuously it is a safe bet if there was air in the line it was pushed out by the steady flow of water. If as I suspect the problem is with the flush valve it is likely some dirt or foreign material has gotten into the valve and it is interfering with the operation of the valve, which functions just like the flush valves in a public restroom and are very reliable.

Amigomillers - that has to be you Danny. We must have roped you into POG when we were at Kerrville. Welcome to the asylum.

I think Jon is on the right track with the flush value. I don't get an eternal flush, but do ocassionally encounter a continously running water pump. It generally happens when I have had the pump off for some time and I believe that air builds up in the lines. To remedy it I just run the water in both bathroom sinks, the shower, the toilet and kitchen sink and that seems to get the air out of the line.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Just to roil the water Mr. Loc, once the water system is pressurized by the pump and air has been purged, explain to me how air can get in the lines.

Talk slow because I'm having trouble with this concept.

Jon,

This happens when the pump has been off for a period of time. Once I purge the air it doesn't happen again until the pump has been off for a relatively long period of time. It also doesn't happen every time. I am supposing that it is air in the lines and that the pump is having a tough time getting to a steady pressure to shut off. I actually don't really know that air is the culprit, but when I open the fawcets their seems to be some discharge of air. As long as I can get the pump to stop running and I don't have water leaks I really am not concerned about it.

Go pick on JDUB.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Unless and until the water system pressure in the lines drops to atmospheric pressure I cannot understand how it is possible for water to enter the lines.

Admittedly I am basing my understanding on my well pump in the house, my Groco pump in the bus and my Shurflo back up pump in the bus. Once my water system is pressurized and whatever air has been burped I cannot understand how air can possibly enter the system unless it has been in the system. But having said that, on our buses specifically, if the water tank is full, water system pressure is zero and a faucet is opened, head pressure from the tank primes the pump and pushes whatever air may be in the pump out and into the system. At that point normal water usage removes the bubble of air.

I have no experience with Headhunter pumps beyond a lot of folks bitching about them and a seemingly large number replacing them.

Hi Amigo. Jon is right, you should have a circuitbreaker switch inside your coach for the water pump.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide