Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SALON MAKEOVER (That's fancy talk for Living Room)

Default SALON MAKEOVER (That's fancy talk for Living Room)

I am now a few days into gutting and redoing our coach living room. I will post pictures as the project unfolds, but here is the effort to date.

We are looking for several changes that we think will help us enjoy the coach more than we already do. Di has never like the Berber carpeting in our living room and entryway. We both would like to replace it with a laminate flooring knowing as our dogs age we will no longer kennel them, but bring them with us. A laminate floor will make the grief associated with dirty paws go away because it can just be wiped down. Right now we have to take off our shoes so we don't track in and we both would like to walk in without removing shoes.

Well to do the floor we have to pull out everything sitting on it from the front all the way back to the kitchen tile. Since we never really liked the chenile type upholstery fabric on our sofas having them out is a good excuse to get them reupholstered in leather, again thinking of a surface that would be more dog friendly, and easy to wipe down. We do like the sofas in that they have storage under them in two drawers each and we like the extra seating the sofas provide. What we don't like is the passenger side sofa has no place within reach to set a drink. So to make the three place sofas more user friendly we are adding a center armrest on each with a Corian top to rest drinks and snacks. Now the sofas will be two place sofas with center armrests and plenty of room for four people to sit. We don't have guests overnight in the coach so that is not a concern.

Since we are getting new material on the sofas, we decided ot purchase a pair of dining chairs more to our liking and will have the seats upholstered to match the sofas.

The sofas came out through the door because they are constructed to be easily disassembled. It makes the handling easier for me and Di because the largest heaviest piece is the base of the sofas. So now the sofas are out and the mechanical stuff beneath them is exposed. I found one of the Webasto heat exchanger motors was not able to be serviced because the sofa frame sat over it, so I will relocate that unit before re-installing the sofas. I am changing to extended life coolant so now is the time to replace hoses on the Webasto units.

This project is not necessarily overwhelming as long as I have patience, but getting everything loose or removed such as the sofas, cabinet, driver and passenger seats is a challenge in finding how they are secured, most of the time with hidden fasteners. Now that I know where the fasteners are the reassembly will be easy. The real challenge is going to be able to find or create the trim and transition pieces for the floating floor because it has so many details that will never be found in a typical home flooring project.

Pictures and updates to follow.

Jon,
    With all your cash buy a new coach! Come on help the economy!
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Jon,

I am thinking of the same project for my coach. Pictures of what you encounter will be great. My coach is 1995 model, so I am in the year model zone for interior upgrades.

Hector

That is exciting stuff, Jon. Good luck. If you need an extra hand or two (or four) for any part of it, we can be there in an hour. Can't wait to see the pics as you work through the project. Deb

Quote Originally Posted by rickdesilva View Post
    Jon,
    With all your cash buy a new coach! Come on help the economy!
    Do I really have to explain again why I like rivets??????

Quote Originally Posted by hobobimmer View Post
    That is exciting stuff, Jon. Good luck. If you need an extra hand or two (or four) for any part of it, we can be there in an hour. Can't wait to see the pics as you work through the project. Deb
    Deb, I liked how you volunteered Eric. I lifted the sofa bases and the two front seats out of position myself. I can tell you that I am considering asking for some help because the sofas are cumbersome and the front seats are just plain heavy. I may give a call when the time comes.

Pictures tomorrow.

Jon,

I have a cocker spaniel who digs on the leather sofa before he settles down. He hasen't ripped throught it but does leave scratch marks. I don't know if your are looking for that distressed look. Just a thought.

The chenile type fabic that we had would be a magnet for dog hair so that had to go. Both dogs, for whatever reason will never jump up on furniture. If that changes if and when they come on trips with us we will have to deal with it.

Getting rid of the carpet is the best thing you will do. The Krackmobile and Liberty have/had no carpet and it's great.

Let me know if you need help, I'll call the King for you!

No need to bother the king. Eric confirmed that he is very willing to help. So, you have 4 willing and able hands at your service. Let us know when and we will figure out how to help. Deb and Eric