Thread: XL OIL RESEVOIR

Default XL OIL RESEVOIR

I posted this some time ago with NO responses. Can anyone shed light on it.

When I was having the coach serviced last week we tried to drain the oil
    tank only to find that something was obstructing the flow upstream from
    the valve.

Next we pulled the drain plug and removed the valve only to find that
    there was some sort of plate covering both inside the tank preventing oil
    from draining at anything more than a dribble.

How is this tank constructed? Is there a baffle that may have come loose?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Woody,

You've got me baffled! Just kidding.

I really don't know. I had an oil reservior on my 93 Newell but if I remember correctly it had a squeeze trigger on it. You could dial in how many quarts you wanted to add and then squeeze the trigger and air pressure from the engine running would deliver the oil. I never tried to empty the reservior - as oil was used I would add more.

Does it work adding oil? If it does, could you remove the hose that transfers the oil to the engine - put that hose in a bucket and then pump the contents of the reservior into a bucket and throw it away. Sort of emptying in reverse!
    Last edited by merle&louise; 09-24-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Woody,

Our coaches are of the same age. So far I have not encountered the problem you describe. If it was me, and I really could not get any oil to flow out of the reserve tank, I would remove the tank and hoses from the bus so they are easier to work on. If something has come loose inside the tank and is covering the drain, well I'd probably look into getting a new tank or in your case going to the Owls Head Transportation Museum and having the tank cut in half to remove the offending baffle, reweld the baffle where it used to be positioned, and have the two halves of the tank rewelded together. After the rewelding and before reinstallation take it somewhere and have the exterior powder coated in your choice of colors.

I say this since I did something similar to my surge tank. No baffle problem it just was getting to look butt ugly. I got Prevost gray engine bay powder coated on the tank.

Will

Thanks, I came to that conclusion and now will try to find the time.

I wouldn't go to that trouble. On the next oil change drain the tank into the engine so it is empty. Leave the valve open so it eventually stops draining. When it is empty remove the bottom fitting or shut off valve and poke something up there it see if whatever is there blocking it moves out of the way.

Then fashion some clip to stick up through the hole extending into the tank so whatever is sliding around on the bottom of the reservoir can't slide over the entire hole. At worst it may block half the hole but never all of it. Ideally it will be something small that can be pulled up out of there with a magnet.

Problem is that what does dribble out is milky - I guess I'll just pull the plug and let it drain until it stops, then do what you suggested and flush it with some gas.