Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a good day

Default Not a good day

Drained the oil in preparation for the trip down south to POG 9. Was going to pull oil samples but no need now. I had a 1/2 cup of coolant in the bottom of the pan.

Liner issues, injector(s) or I'm hoping compressor. It has been 6,500 miles since the last change. Sept. 08. 126,000 miles. I am taking the coach down to Calgary next week. When I get back, I pull the plug and see how much coolant drains. This is not good news and worst case would be a in-frame rebuild. Looks like we will be canceling our trip to POG 9.

I can tell you from personal experience that depending on how extensive your in-frame is it can be very expensive. Locating the source of that coolant would be my first priority.

Unhappy

Terrible news Darrell, I was looking forward to meeting you.

You could fly down and stay at a motel in town, it's not far. Kerrville was my first rally and I stayed in a motel. It worked out fine.

Hope your trouble is minor.

JIM

Experiences...... Can anyone think of a way of checking / telling where the coolant is coming from without pulling the pan or valve covers or pressuring the system?? In-frame rebuild $18,000 to $22,000?? Am I thinking the worst case right now........ just trying to unwind.

Darrell, sorry about the issues with your bus. I see from Buckhorn's web site that they have cabins on site, you may be able to get one of those. Just a thought.

Has anyone have experiences with the loss of the head gasket of the compressor and dumping coolant in the oil. The coolant in the oil was very rich (red), the oil wasn't milky or brown, nicely separated out in the bottom of the pan. This tells me that this issue is very recent?

The compressor is slow, needs attention. The air build up is still within DOT requirements but barely making it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell and Linda View Post
    Has anyone have experiences with the loss of the head gasket of the compressor and dumping coolant in the oil. The coolant in the oil was very rich (red), the oil wasn't milky or brown, nicely separated out in the bottom of the pan. This tells me that this issue is very recent?

The compressor is slow, needs attention. The air build up is still within DOT requirements but barely making it.
    Darrell, I have no clue as to your malady, but I do know that if you think saving the engine without a rebuild is a possibility, you should get that oil antifreeze mixture out of the engine as soon as possible. Don't let it sit as is, internal corrosion/etching of surfaces will take place quickly.

JIM

Jim, I was changing oil and filters when the intial drain indicated approx. 1/2 cup of antifreeze in the drain hose. I changed the oil. I'll have time in two weeks after and drop the pan and pressurise the cooling system and see where the coolant is coming from. If I can't see anything then it should be the head gasket in the compressor.... hoping....

I agree with Jim, coolant in the oil will ruin the engine bearings quickly, which can then take out the crank, requiring many $ for a reman engine. I wouldn't drive it until I figured out and fixed where the coolant is coming from. I'm assuming that you have an 8v92, and a Tu-flo 700 compressor. Here's the manual for the compressor, http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay...ocumentID=2388. It looks like a cracked head could possibly do it - do you get any coolant in your air tanks? I've read that 95% of the time, it's the water pump, or a cylinder liner o-ring problem. Did you overheat recently? There is supposedly a weep hole on the water pump (I can't see it on mine), are you getting a drip of coolant there? There are some really good Detroit people on this forum that may be able to give you help troubleshooting. http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/di...=9&STARTPAGE=1

Good luck!! Steve

Sorry to hear about the water intrusion. A good DDA mechanic has seen this before. Drop pan, pressure cooling system. Hopefully only oil cooler but could be a liner packing or cracked head, they dont like to get hot. Good Luck and see you at Kerrville
    ED
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES