Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 365 Tires

That neophyte stand-by driver isn't a neophyte anymore after saving your sorry butt while you lounged on the floor counting sheep from the drug induced coma you were in from Mobile to Houston, knocking out 500 miles without a hitch. I think she should have a new Ipad 2.

I was told that the 365 tires won't fit on an XL only the XLII ,is that correct?
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

GT,

While that it technically true, there was a guy on here who took a Sawzall and carved a hole in the side of his stainless Prevost for the purpose of installing a vent for an LP fridge, so I am sure there is a level of disrespect that could get a pair of 365's under an XL. Could you be that new guy?

Pretty intense, Jerry. See my previous posts in this thread. I, of course, used a chainsaw.

Grantracy: they'll fit yours fine and are a major improvement.

Denny, what was the cost to convert to the 365's?
    Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Hi Ed,
    A good guess as to the cost to convert is between $3,000 and $3,500. I can't give you and exact cost because I had my nearly new front 315 put on the tags. I had a small crack in one of the front wheels so that meant one of the fronts had to be broken down and put on a tag wheel. Also, front sway bar bushings had to be replaced and tag shocks. With the extra work involved, it changes the labor cost. The costs for tire conversion parts are as follows:

Tires 2 @ 645
    Wheels 2 @ 699
    Studs 20 @ 8.59
    Nuts 20 @ 4.69
    Equal 2 @ 25.54

I also received a credit for the two old tag tires and the one good 315 wheel. As I previously mentioned, it is well worth the cost.

The best way to get a cost estimate is to call Prevost JAX and ask. I had my fronts upgraded to 365's and the estimate was $3850 per axle (May 7, 2011). I moved the 2010 315's to the tag and replaced the drives with new 315's. Some additional advantages that have not been mentioned are: 1. Overall safety margin - 105 PSI is further away from max tire pressure than is 125 PSI. Roads get hot in the summer and tire pressure can raise a bunch. 2. I prefer to fill my own tires while on the road. I have no problem filling to 105 PSI from either my aux or primary compressor. I could not fill to 125 PSI. The enhanced stability created by the 365's makes the coach steer better and therefore makes the coach safer. For me, safety margin is far more important than just squeaking by with the factory limits.
    As far as getting a spare 365 in the event of a puncture; I can't worry about everything, I'll cross that bridge if it I come to it.

Grantracy, Remember Bruce Harris witha 1999 XL 45 single Rogue Slide Marathon Coach 0533, which was Bruce's POG handle, "0533"?
    Do a search for posts from 0533 and use the 365's as a term as well. 0533, when we saw it 2 years ago in Titusville TGO mini POG where the shuttle didn't go, has 365's on the front, and new longer studs were being created if I remember correctly for the tag to have 365's too. I think Prevost JAX did the work.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Quote Originally Posted by joelselman View Post
    It's a piece of cake. Ride is substantially improved due to, in part, lower air pressures. Haven't tried to find one on the road in an emergency, though and can't yet speak to any wear comparison.

Wheels, tires, studs, nuts and covers must be changed. Studs knock out easily with BIG sledge hammer. Alcoa now makes a nice i-piece hub and nut cover. I have only done the ft on my '99 XLV (IFS); no shaving of the foam was done at time of installation but some is being worn away. Removal and installation of wheels is a little tricky with hard fiberglass fenders. Cost was $3000-3500 for the pair.

CAUTION: New wheels are hub piloted as opposed to the original stud piloted on the XL's. My bus (1999) had hubs suitable for hub piloted wheels already installed. Verify your hubs will accept hub piloted wheels. Not sure where the break point is...maybe disc vs drum brakes?
    Waking up an old post here, but I noticed while viewing the Alcoa wheel catalog that they make a stud piloted 22.5" x 12.5" wheel part number 823051 (polished outside). With the availability of this wheel is there a reason that anybody putting 365's on an older XL with stud piloted hubs and studs would switch over to longer studs and hub piloted wheels? I do not have any current plans to go with 365's but would like to know if it would be an option to simply purchase a couple of 823051's when I am ready to replace the steer tires?