Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 365 Tires

I don't THINK weight was an issue with the blown tag tire, but I'm going to recheck. The 455/55 are rated @11000# each, 2 315's are 18000#. When I originally weighed my coach with 315's on the drive, the axle weight was about 20,500 and the tag was (from memory) about 14,000. The 315's on the tag SHOULD be more than adequate but since my first ever Michelin blowout, I'm going to re-weigh just to insure the rear axle geometry, and therefore weights, haven't changed. Drive axle weight should have decreased by 300 due to the wheel/tire change. Weights were taken without passengers, normal coach interior loading, and full fuel and water.

Incidentally, my big trailer (21000# gross) has a ft steer axle and exerts virtually 0 tongue weight.
    Last edited by joelselman; 11-15-2010 at 11:47 AM.

I am considering changing my front tires to 365. I have a front Alcoa wheel that has a small crack from the stud hole to the hub hole of the wheel. It is not all the way through the wheel but I do not like the idea of having a crack on a wheel. Since I have to buy a new wheel I am considering going to the 365 size tire on the fronts. My front weight rating is 17,200 lbs and I weigh 16,820 lbs. Although I am well within the weight rating I carry 125 psi in the front tires resulting in a rougher ride than I would like to have. I can go to 365's and reduce the pressure to about 110 lbs. This is sure to enhance the ride.

I am only changing the front tires and wheel not the tag axle. In reviewing the previous post on this subject there have been several positive ones and a few negative ones. Since my bus is a 2002 XLII chassis I don't think there will be a clearance issue as there is with the XL. One negative is the rarity of the 365's. I plain on purchasing a used 365 and keep it in the bay for emergency use. Since my tag tires are showing some wear I will put the new front 315's on the tag and just have to worry about the drives at some point in time in the future.

I am throwing this out to the POG brain trust for comments. I am also getting out my full body armor for the negative comments so fire away.

The spare is the real problem,Prevost planned for the spare to be the tag and then mount something like a 315 in that position,but if you carry a spare you have that covered.I have driven coaches with the 365 and the 315 tires I really like the 365's much better,the coach tracks better and just feels better to me,you can't go wrong making this decision.

Denny likely got that crack in his wheel because someone likely did not torque the nuts on his aluminum wheels, but instead took a 1" impact wrench and drove the nuts home with the full force of the wrench.

If you have any work done and it involves removing the wheels you should insist the person installing the wheels use the correct torque values which are to be between 450 and 500 foot pounds for dry unlubricated threads. You will likely get dirty looks and "we've always done it this way" comments but the Alcoa torque specs are available on line for anyone to see.

I always hand the mechanic my trusty 475 ft-lb torque stick. http://www.torquestick.com/cart/sear...=search&page=1
    (Type 475 in the search window). Get one with a 3/4" drive.
    Last edited by travelite; 12-24-2010 at 09:44 AM.

My Coach already had 365's on the front. I maintain 105 psi on the front. My Coach is not over weight on the front but within 500 lbs on one side. I just replaced the front tires this year . I had 6 years on the previous set but they still looked fine. Also, I just replaced my front factory shocks with the Koni shocks. All in all, a very smooth ride but I still have to deal with California freeways some of which are in serious decay.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Thanks to all for the positive information. I will place my order for new wheels and tires for the front of the bus. I have a 475 torque stick in the bus barn that now has a new home in the bus for a "just in case you don't have one" situation. Again, thanks.

I concur with everybody's thumbs up...I think you'll be very happy with the 365's on the ft. I ASSUME you have hub centric wheels currently (as opposed to my oe stud centric) which should mean no stud/nut replacements.

Well not everybody. Denny is sold on the 365's and there is no doubt it will be nicer to have additional carrying capacity.

I think if I was pushing my tire weight limits 365's would at least get consideration. My reservation is the spare tire situation. As long as Denny is willing to give up space to carry a spare he has addressed that. I don't have the space for a spare so that would not be an option. It is hard to beat having 8 tires all alike because of the ability to mount good tires where they are needed most.

As to the ride.....as a tire ages it seems to get harder and noisier. If he was changing his tires and just mounted new 315's it is likely he would have a softer, quieter ride. Every time I mount new tires I enjoy the improvement, whether it is on my car or bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Well not everybody. Denny is sold on the 365's and there is no doubt it will be nicer to have additional carrying capacity.

I think if I was pushing my tire weight limits 365's would at least get consideration. My reservation is the spare tire situation. As long as Denny is willing to give up space to carry a spare he has addressed that. I don't have the space for a spare so that would not be an option. It is hard to beat having 8 tires all alike because of the ability to mount good tires where they are needed most.

As to the ride.....as a tire ages it seems to get harder and noisier. If he was changing his tires and just mounted new 315's it is likely he would have a softer, quieter ride. Every time I mount new tires I enjoy the improvement, whether it is on my car or bus.
    Jon, when Ken Z and I traveled to Alaska I brought a 315 tire in the back of my Honda Pilot. It was a perfect fit. I put a piece of plywood on top of the tire and carried it in the back of the Pilot. The plywood allowed extra storage on top of the tire.

My point is you could carry a spare 315 in your tow car if there is no place for it in the bus!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot