Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 365 Tires

It's a piece of cake. Ride is substantially improved due to, in part, lower air pressures. Haven't tried to find one on the road in an emergency, though and can't yet speak to any wear comparison.

Wheels, tires, studs, nuts and covers must be changed. Studs knock out easily with BIG sledge hammer. Alcoa now makes a nice i-piece hub and nut cover. I have only done the ft on my '99 XLV (IFS); no shaving of the foam was done at time of installation but some is being worn away. Removal and installation of wheels is a little tricky with hard fiberglass fenders. Cost was $3000-3500 for the pair.

CAUTION: New wheels are hub piloted as opposed to the original stud piloted on the XL's. My bus (1999) had hubs suitable for hub piloted wheels already installed. Verify your hubs will accept hub piloted wheels. Not sure where the break point is...maybe disc vs drum brakes?
    Last edited by joelselman; 11-27-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Charles,

Fellow Pogger Bruce Harris better known as "0533" owned a 1999 Marathon XLV single slide he had Prevost JaX adapt the 365 tires on the steer and tag. We have not had good luck at Prevost Dallas for anything. I would call JAX. Hey check this out on the completed items on Ebay. 1995 Marathon 45'er with 445's on the drive, not being duals, and 365's on the tag.

Be sure to scroll down past all the little stuff at the top.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item45f65d3b1a
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

That just doesn't make sense. I understand why someone may want super singles on the drive, but 365's on the tag and 315's on the steer seems bass-ackwards, especially since Marathons tend to be nose heavy.

BUT..........there is that heavy trailer????????ANd they aren't using load leveling equalizer bars to take some trailer hitch wieght off the back. I bet they didn't beef up the hitch for trailer either!! Ya, it is silly, tho.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

OK, lets assume the trailer is heavy. Does the tag need such a big tire if the tongue weight is 1000 pounds? How about 2000 pounds? Hard to believe the trailer would add so much weight that it wouild take it off the steers and put it on the tag. Unless the trailer was so heavy such as it might be if it was hauling Roger's wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    OK, lets assume the trailer is heavy. Does the tag need such a big tire if the tongue weight is 1000 pounds? How about 2000 pounds? Hard to believe the trailer would add so much weight that it wouild take it off the steers and put it on the tag. Unless the trailer was so heavy such as it might be if it was hauling Roger's wallet.
    There is no way that it could take it off the steer. Way to far and with the drive and tag I don't see it even being possible. I think it would bust off the hitch first...

My stacker has about 1200 LBS. on the tongue and the weigh tickets show more than 1000 LBS. less on the steering axle.I have only weighed it once with the trailer but I think that it was accurate,the bus drives like the steering axle is less.

I have 455/55's super singles on the drive. I weighed each axle before installation and thought I was ok but blew a 315 tag (4 years old, 90,000 miles, 90% worn...who knows why?) within 10,000 miles of the drive tire change. I intend to reweigh rear axles shortly to see if addl weight has somehow been shifted to tag but the 455/55 diameter is very close to the 315. That's part of the reason I've decided to go to 365/70's on steer and eventually tag.

Jack,

Unless your hitch and steer axle are equidistant from the tag/drive axles a 1000 pound weight on the hitch will not reduce the weight the same amount on the steer. When you do apply 1200 pounds to the hitch you do shift the CG towards the rear, but I seriously doubt if it is 1000 pounds worth.

Joel,

I freely admit to wanting to keep all my tires the same size so if one fails I can rob a replacement from the tag, or put a readily available odd size on the tag and not have to worry about getting a special tire due to the oversized rim. But what I can't understand is if weight is such an issue such large tires are required, how do you know you haven't exceeded the weight limits of air bags, brakes, bearings and other associated components. If I recall you are towing a trailer that is exceptionally heavy, likely stressing the entire coach. Maybe its the pilot in me that considers weight and balance a serious issue.

Jon,I did not weigh on the same day with and without the trailer,but I have weighed the coach 4 times,each time the steering axle weight is within a range and with the trailer it is more than 1000 Lbs less.I am weighing at Cat Scales.I understand what you are saying but I think that the scales are accurate.