Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 365 Tires

Default 365 Tires

I did an advance search for tires, wheels, and 365 tires and got nothing. I have a 98 40' XL and would like to know what you have to do to install 365's on the steer and tag axels. Thanks

I am of the opinion that although they look cool you will spend a lot of money and you could end up with a harsh ride.

I cannot tell you about using them on your XL. I did change to the 365 on my XLII. My ride improved significantly since the tires allowed me to lower the pressure and remain within the correct limit for weight. With the 315 I needed 125 pounds for my weight. With the 365 it went to just over 100 pounds (I run 105).

According to Prevost National Service Representative and Jacksonville Tech support, there is not enough clearance in the wheel well area on an XL chassis to allow the 365 tire upgrade that is offered for XL2 and H3-45 VIP models. On the H3 VIP, shims have to be added to the steering stops, whereas the XL2 requires scraping foam out of the wheelwell but don't require steering stop adjustment. Hub stubs, lug nuts, and of course the wheels also need to be changed, as well as the consideration of hub caps and how they are mounted on the wheel, since some of the 315's were stub-piloted and some are hub-piloted. The upgraded 365's are all hub piloted.

Hope this sheds some light. We have done this procedure on one XL2 to date.

Ben Cummings
    Coach Worx LLC
    Last edited by BenC; 09-10-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: finish my sentence lol

Ours was upgraded to the 365's by the previous owner. There is a slight shaving of the foam, hardly noticeable, in the front of the front wheel wells.

I like the lowered air pressure and the ride is great.

Thanks all. When I left Prevost Fort Worth this AM, they told me there was not enough room in the fender wells just as Ben has said. Thanks again

What is a ballpark cost for the 365 upgrade

Ryan at Prevost FW told me off the top of his head, about 3,000.00 to 3,500.00 per wheel. I think this is a little excessive considering a wheel at about 300.00, a tire for 625.00 and some cost for the shims that have been mentioned above and some labor. It might require a front end alignment if shimming the front end has some effect on alignment. This might also have included some hub or stud replacement since my wheels are the old style (hub-piloted or stud-piloted) I think that is the correct terminology.

drmikefryer1 Guest

I am a POG member but have the other kind of coach - a 45' 1999 VanHool T945 Entertainer that is very similar to the H3. It is very tall (13'6") and is very heavy like the H3. It has a DD Series 60 (500hp) with an Allison trans. We full time so we are always fully loaded, which is extra weight. I am ready to buy 8 new tires and read the comments about the 365's but I don't know anything about them and what benefit they might be? I currently have 315/80R/22.5's Where can I find info about the benefit of the 365's or is it just testimony from people who have tried them? http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/a...VANHOOL%20BUS/

Thanks,
    Dr. Mike Fryer & Joan

1999 VanHool T945 Entertainer 45'
    Last edited by drmikefryer1; 09-15-2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Add Photo

I have 315 tires and have never felt compelled to re-engineer my coach.

The only real reason I can see to change tire size from what the coach design engineers specified is if your axle weights are at or above the tire weight limits. And if they are you have bigger problems than worrying about changing tire size.

Let's start with what you likely cannot do. It may be impossible to change to 365 tires on the drive axle because a pair of them on that axle (per side) is either going to create serious clearance issues, or may actually extend sideways exceeding the 102" width limit.

But the steer and tag may be able to accomodate a 365. You have to determine if you have clearance issues. It is probable you will have problems there. The clearance has to be checked with full left and right turns and full up or full down axle positions. It may not be an issue, but I suspect it will be. A 365 will carry more weight than the 9000 typically listed as a limit to the 315, and probably at lower pressure. That may improve the ride, especially over bumps such as expansion joints in the highway.

But having two sizes, neither of which is especially available at typical tire outlets creates other problems. If you are all 315 tire sizes you can always pull a tire from your tag to replace one elsewhere and put an available tire such as a 295 on the tag to keep you going until the correct size can be acquired. If you lose a 365 you have to find a tire that can fit on that wheel and that may pose a problem. If you lose a 315 from the drive you cannot pull a 365 from your tag to replace it.

Weigh you coach and each axle. That may answer your question. You need to do that anyway so you know your tire pressure requirements.

I'm a naysayer.

BTW, welcome to the asylum Dr. Mike. By having a VanHool you may be able to give us insight to a shell other than a Prevost. We don't discriminate because Tuga has a Newell and Truk has a CC Magna and we also have some Bluebirds, all of which we get ideas from.