Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 365 Tires

Hybrid View

Thanks all. When I left Prevost Fort Worth this AM, they told me there was not enough room in the fender wells just as Ben has said. Thanks again

What is a ballpark cost for the 365 upgrade

Ryan at Prevost FW told me off the top of his head, about 3,000.00 to 3,500.00 per wheel. I think this is a little excessive considering a wheel at about 300.00, a tire for 625.00 and some cost for the shims that have been mentioned above and some labor. It might require a front end alignment if shimming the front end has some effect on alignment. This might also have included some hub or stud replacement since my wheels are the old style (hub-piloted or stud-piloted) I think that is the correct terminology.

drmikefryer1 Guest

I am a POG member but have the other kind of coach - a 45' 1999 VanHool T945 Entertainer that is very similar to the H3. It is very tall (13'6") and is very heavy like the H3. It has a DD Series 60 (500hp) with an Allison trans. We full time so we are always fully loaded, which is extra weight. I am ready to buy 8 new tires and read the comments about the 365's but I don't know anything about them and what benefit they might be? I currently have 315/80R/22.5's Where can I find info about the benefit of the 365's or is it just testimony from people who have tried them? http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/a...VANHOOL%20BUS/

Thanks,
    Dr. Mike Fryer & Joan

1999 VanHool T945 Entertainer 45'
    Last edited by drmikefryer1; 09-15-2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Add Photo

I have 315 tires and have never felt compelled to re-engineer my coach.

The only real reason I can see to change tire size from what the coach design engineers specified is if your axle weights are at or above the tire weight limits. And if they are you have bigger problems than worrying about changing tire size.

Let's start with what you likely cannot do. It may be impossible to change to 365 tires on the drive axle because a pair of them on that axle (per side) is either going to create serious clearance issues, or may actually extend sideways exceeding the 102" width limit.

But the steer and tag may be able to accomodate a 365. You have to determine if you have clearance issues. It is probable you will have problems there. The clearance has to be checked with full left and right turns and full up or full down axle positions. It may not be an issue, but I suspect it will be. A 365 will carry more weight than the 9000 typically listed as a limit to the 315, and probably at lower pressure. That may improve the ride, especially over bumps such as expansion joints in the highway.

But having two sizes, neither of which is especially available at typical tire outlets creates other problems. If you are all 315 tire sizes you can always pull a tire from your tag to replace one elsewhere and put an available tire such as a 295 on the tag to keep you going until the correct size can be acquired. If you lose a 365 you have to find a tire that can fit on that wheel and that may pose a problem. If you lose a 315 from the drive you cannot pull a 365 from your tag to replace it.

Weigh you coach and each axle. That may answer your question. You need to do that anyway so you know your tire pressure requirements.

I'm a naysayer.

BTW, welcome to the asylum Dr. Mike. By having a VanHool you may be able to give us insight to a shell other than a Prevost. We don't discriminate because Tuga has a Newell and Truk has a CC Magna and we also have some Bluebirds, all of which we get ideas from.

It's a piece of cake. Ride is substantially improved due to, in part, lower air pressures. Haven't tried to find one on the road in an emergency, though and can't yet speak to any wear comparison.

Wheels, tires, studs, nuts and covers must be changed. Studs knock out easily with BIG sledge hammer. Alcoa now makes a nice i-piece hub and nut cover. I have only done the ft on my '99 XLV (IFS); no shaving of the foam was done at time of installation but some is being worn away. Removal and installation of wheels is a little tricky with hard fiberglass fenders. Cost was $3000-3500 for the pair.

CAUTION: New wheels are hub piloted as opposed to the original stud piloted on the XL's. My bus (1999) had hubs suitable for hub piloted wheels already installed. Verify your hubs will accept hub piloted wheels. Not sure where the break point is...maybe disc vs drum brakes?
    Last edited by joelselman; 11-27-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joelselman View Post
    It's a piece of cake. Ride is substantially improved due to, in part, lower air pressures. Haven't tried to find one on the road in an emergency, though and can't yet speak to any wear comparison.

Wheels, tires, studs, nuts and covers must be changed. Studs knock out easily with BIG sledge hammer. Alcoa now makes a nice i-piece hub and nut cover. I have only done the ft on my '99 XLV (IFS); no shaving of the foam was done at time of installation but some is being worn away. Removal and installation of wheels is a little tricky with hard fiberglass fenders. Cost was $3000-3500 for the pair.

CAUTION: New wheels are hub piloted as opposed to the original stud piloted on the XL's. My bus (1999) had hubs suitable for hub piloted wheels already installed. Verify your hubs will accept hub piloted wheels. Not sure where the break point is...maybe disc vs drum brakes?
    Waking up an old post here, but I noticed while viewing the Alcoa wheel catalog that they make a stud piloted 22.5" x 12.5" wheel part number 823051 (polished outside). With the availability of this wheel is there a reason that anybody putting 365's on an older XL with stud piloted hubs and studs would switch over to longer studs and hub piloted wheels? I do not have any current plans to go with 365's but would like to know if it would be an option to simply purchase a couple of 823051's when I am ready to replace the steer tires?

Charles,

Fellow Pogger Bruce Harris better known as "0533" owned a 1999 Marathon XLV single slide he had Prevost JaX adapt the 365 tires on the steer and tag. We have not had good luck at Prevost Dallas for anything. I would call JAX. Hey check this out on the completed items on Ebay. 1995 Marathon 45'er with 445's on the drive, not being duals, and 365's on the tag.

Be sure to scroll down past all the little stuff at the top.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item45f65d3b1a
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

That just doesn't make sense. I understand why someone may want super singles on the drive, but 365's on the tag and 315's on the steer seems bass-ackwards, especially since Marathons tend to be nose heavy.

I am considering changing my front tires to 365. I have a front Alcoa wheel that has a small crack from the stud hole to the hub hole of the wheel. It is not all the way through the wheel but I do not like the idea of having a crack on a wheel. Since I have to buy a new wheel I am considering going to the 365 size tire on the fronts. My front weight rating is 17,200 lbs and I weigh 16,820 lbs. Although I am well within the weight rating I carry 125 psi in the front tires resulting in a rougher ride than I would like to have. I can go to 365's and reduce the pressure to about 110 lbs. This is sure to enhance the ride.

I am only changing the front tires and wheel not the tag axle. In reviewing the previous post on this subject there have been several positive ones and a few negative ones. Since my bus is a 2002 XLII chassis I don't think there will be a clearance issue as there is with the XL. One negative is the rarity of the 365's. I plain on purchasing a used 365 and keep it in the bay for emergency use. Since my tag tires are showing some wear I will put the new front 315's on the tag and just have to worry about the drives at some point in time in the future.

I am throwing this out to the POG brain trust for comments. I am also getting out my full body armor for the negative comments so fire away.