Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slide out extended on I-95

ken&ellen Guest

Default Slide out extended on I-95

Yesterday in North Carolina southbound. WOW
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know how others react to seeing that, but it strikes me that there are problems at every level with that incident.

First, how is it possible the safety interlocks failed. It should never have extended with the parking brake released or the MH in gear.

Second, I wonder how the driver sees passing traffic. If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you. (Bottom picture)

Third, is that driver brain dead??????? When the slide first started moving out why did he not head for the shoulder?

Or is it possible this guy started driving with the slide extended and is dumber than we would first think?

Did you notice the TN tag.

Good try plastic man.......look again at the new style SC plates. Notice the tree and crescent moon.

It looks only partially extended,maybe he could not get it in and decided to drive home anyway.

On our trip to Canada last year we stopped in Albuquergue at a campground where someone who had purchased a used plastic coach could not retract the slide and did not have the proper hand crank. The electric motor was fried (very hot, anyway), and there was subsequently no response or relay clicking anywhere. There happened to be a Camping World just across the interstate, and somehow he had no problem firing up his coach and driving over there. Makes me wonder.

A friend of mine had a Fleetwood and there was nothing to stop him from driving with the slides out.

My HWH slide has all the safety features: locking pins, emergency brake sensor, transmission override, etc. All to prevent you from operating the coach with the slide extended, but there's also an override switch. If I really need to move the coach with the slide extended, I can. I like it this way. I'm not going to travel extended distances with the slide open, but I will travel across the parking lot, or off the train tracks, or to higher ground if necessary.

Just curious David,

Under what circumstances do you envision having slides out while sitting on train tracks?

In our travels we have seen folks in campgrounds move their coaches with cords still plugged in, awnings out, etc. Perhaps the addition of slides makes the job of getting on the road too onerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Just curious David,

Under what circumstances do you envision having slides out while sitting on train tracks?
    Only if there's a failure with locking pins while underway and the slide creeps out. It hasn't happened yet, which I attribute to a good design by HWH, and good preventive maintenance by me. You guys really should try out the accommodations at Northern Suffolk!
    Last edited by travelite; 09-27-2010 at 01:50 PM.