Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leaky water holding tank

sticks Guest

Cool

Oh ya, " long live Liberty water tanks"

The tanks are stainless steel, but remember, by the definition of welding, the crystalline structure is altered at a weld, and that is where the rust develops on the stainless tanks (i.e. the corners or where baffles were attached to the outside wall of the tank via weld).

My 97 Liberty XL40 has a leaking water tank. Pulled both yesterday and am having them completely rewelded. Doing this job exactly one time. Had started redoing all plumbing in PEX but could not get at the rest without tanks out. Problem solved. Whole bay plumbing now PEX. Good bye to the Flare Fit stuff! Ugh!

If you have a leaking aluminum waste water tank I doubt rewelding is a good long term fix. The waste in aluminum tanks tend to erode the aluminun.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    If you have a leaking aluminum waste water tank I doubt rewelding is a good long term fix. The waste in aluminum tanks tend to erode the aluminun.
    It's 304 stainless steel. A couple welds are leaking. Found one leak already in the steam out process. Going to see what the welding shop wants to do tomorrow.

oh wow. . Im surprised both my hot water and waste tanks (both steel) (1994 liberty) - havent had any leaking issues. Knock on wood. .

I'm pretty sure Liberty used SS for all water tanks. Waste tanks were SS but at some point changed to aluminum and I believe still are today.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    I'm pretty sure Liberty used SS for all water tanks. Waste tanks were SS but at some point changed to aluminum and I believe still are today.
    Indeed waste tank is aluminum (late 96 build). I'll let everyone know how well we manage to duplicate it here in Augusta, that looks like the plan. Following the earlier post on pressure-testing the fresh tank (which is 304SS) and likely rewelding both sides. New plumbing is coming along nicely, just about completely eliminated the flare-fit stuff with the exception of the feeds to the kitchen sink. Also discovered that whoever put the Mach V Headhunter in just dropped it in place, not bolted to anything, so reworking that setup as well. Obviously renewing all drain couplings, dump valves et.c. as they are very common parts. If the tanks come back by mid-next week we ought to have it all buttoned up this time next week.
    Last edited by chiplamb; 06-05-2020 at 05:57 PM. Reason: work in progress