Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaky water holding tank

sticks Guest

Unhappy leaky water holding tank

Went into the bus barn today and heard the alarm on from the water bay. Gauge read almost empty and noticed a small drip seemingly coming from the grey water bypass pipe port side. Closer inspection showed that it was coming from around the bottom of the stainless steel holding tank( water) and traveling to the outside of the grey water drain near by . Oh oh! Houston we have a problem! Could this be something simpler? Where do I start getting this fixed short of prevailing on the factory ( Liberty) in Chicago to bail me out? How easy is it to remove the spray on foam insulation under the frame to directly inspect the bottom of the water tank. Getting ready to drive to Lexington for a big horse show( naturally) in another 10 days.

I think that Liberty would be my first call.

Can we break this down a little at a time. Here goes......This water stuff is just a mine field as many of the members who have owned boats. That fluid can do some amazing travel from point A to B.
    Could you just be out of water ? the coach leans and sets off the alarm ? Can you check the location of all the gravity drain hoses ? Came loose, hit by road object and relocated ? Just a couple of long shots from the "whats it's worth dept in KC "
    AL

Al,You are right,there is a fresh water dump that is near the bottom of the side of the tank as well as the fresh water supply to the pump,I think that both of these have rubber hoses with clamps on them.It would be very easy to have a loose clamp that would cause a leak.

sticks Guest

Thanks for your tips. The SLOW drip seems to be coming from underneath the water holding tank over to the copper pipe right at the bottom of the coach and down the OUTSIDE of this pipe.This pipe is labeled " gray water bypass" and thus should not leak water out of the water holding tank. All of this is located on the port side adjacent to the waste tank. And yes I know I started out the month storage in my barn with a 3/4 full water tank. Since it "leaked" down to the 10% mark on the gauge, ( thus setting off the alarm), the leak must be at or close to the bottom of the tank. I'll go around to the starboard side in the morning and check the connection to the pump. If there is a leaky hose there I would be ecstatic as this would be a whole lot easier to fix then a " hole" or corrosion in the tank ,which would be hard to imagine in a 5 year old coach. I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks again for your advice.

Sticks,

I doubt the water tank itself is leaking, they are well built in the Liberty. Mine was in a different location and much older than yours, but I'm posting the picture so you can see the hose hook ups. I'm sure yours will have a similar hose placement. You should be able to get at the hoses and clamps and I would guess that's where your leak is. The bottom fittings hook to the fresh water drain and water pump inlet. The top fitting was the overflow. The holes up the side are for the tank level sensors.

IMG_3350_1_..JPG

Let me start by saying we had a leak in the SS water tank on our first Liberty. It looked great with all the ground and polished weld joints, but over time minute holes begain to show up. I ended up removing the tank and rewelding it. I put about 3 PSI in the tank (greater than the head pressure from the water in it) and tested my welds with soapy water. I blew so many bubbles all around the tank (not where I welded) that it looked like Lawrence Welk was there.

I ended up rewelding the entire tank. Problem solved. It seems daunting but the tank came out in about 20 munutes with the removal of a few hose connections. I pulled it onto a floor jack and balanced it while sliding it out the rest of the way.

Having now scared you about bad welds, it is possible and probable the leak is in a hose fitting so I would suggest you empty the tank, pull it and dry everything out, fill the tank with the fitting(s) plugged to verify the tank has not had a porous weld and re-install it with new connections and clamps. If you assume it is a connection and just fix that, and in fact a weld is leaking, over time the moisture will crate problems of major proportions. You can test with air if you want, but be prepared for the tank to bulge and make scary noises, and whatever you do be very carefull not to exceed 3 or 4 PSI. I has a test plug with a gauge that I used.

Removing the tank I think is an important part of this to insure you have dried stuff out and have the leak problem corrected. You could leak as little as a shot glass of water per day, mostof which will evaporate or be absorbed by the wood bulkheads and floor, and that constant moisture will cause rotting, mold and mildew all of which are very destructive.

No way a Liberty tank leaks - its Stainless!

Liberty does guarantee the items that they manufacturer for life to the original owner,but they are usually very willing to warranty these type of items to the second purchaser especially if you bought it from them.If you really do have a leak in the tank I would call the salesman and get him to help with warranty.

sticks Guest

Thanks to POG advice, I found the problem. A plastic T connector on the side of the hot water tank starboard side ( water bay) had a crack and was dripping steadily . Ran over to port side and down gray water drain pipe. Also dripping on starboard side after I realized what was wrong. $9.50 part should fix it. Thanks all!!!