Thread: Total Generator Failure

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    Gordon,

My unit has a squirrell cage blower in the first bay next to the generator. It blows air thru the generator compartment and it exhausts the air out of the bottom of the generator compartment. There is a strong volume of air coming out of the bottom of the generator compartment so I don't think that the fan is the problem. It has worked for the last 4 years tailgating, so I believe that my problem lies elsewhere. This is the 1st year that it has run this hot.

Thanks for the help.
    Mine has the same, only difference is, when the temp gets up to 208, the fan clicks into warp drive and really pulls the air through. Just wondering if you have the same setup and your 2nd speed isn't kicking in??
    Last edited by GDeen; 09-23-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Gordon,

Mine does NOT have the same setup. As far as I know there is only one speed on the blower and it is constant. Also, I have VDO analog gauges, so I don't know EXACTLY what temps are. I purchased a non contact infared thermometer today so I can obtain real numbers.

I spoke with Newell today and they told me to check for air leaks around the front of the generator compartment door, loose belts, and also to verify the accuracy of the VDO gauge by using a non contact infared thermometer. John Clark w/Newell also said getting the radiator checked was a good first step. As soon as I get the radiator back from the shop, I am going to do those 3 things that they suggested.

While I was typing this the radiator shop called: they found 2 leaks in the radiator. The mechanic told me that a tube was leaking and another leak was found in the top tank where a 3/8" hole was made for a mechanical temp gauge. He fixed both leaks by soldering them. Next he will remove the top tank and "rod" all of the tubes to make sure none are clogged up. He assured me after this all is done the radiator will be like new. I am certain that this was my problem all along, but we'll see!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot