Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Total Generator Failure

Are the Kohler problems related to the newer models or have they always been problematic? It is hard to believe the big convertors (Marathon and Liberty) would have used them for decades if they were routinely problematic.

I have an annoying problem with mine described in another thread. I may call Kevin's guy and see if he is willing to do a consult over the phone on my current issue. The So-Tex guy down in San Antonio did fine last go round, but he won't let customers back in the shop which I can't stand. I may be over thinking it and should just run it down there, but I wouldn't mind talking to another expert on the genset (Kohler / Yanmar) and current symptoms to see if something else comes to mind for him.

We rely on the generator so much when traveling, I would prefer it to be fairly bulletproof with routine maintenance. Only common problem I have heard on my vintage is the bearing failure on the generator shaft. May get that replaced next time they are in there just for peace of mind.
    Last edited by GDeen; 11-23-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: I need to re-take 3rd grade english and spelling

I had another problem with this generator,the return oil line from the turbocharger was only clamped on the last 1/8 of an inch of the hose,over time the edge of the clamp cut the rubber hose and of course oil began to leak.The leak was easy to find once I got the gen out of the cabinet for the third time(I am now good at removing the gen)NAPA had an exact rubber hose with the 90 degree bend in the right place and 2 new clamps and all is well.I can't blame Kohler for this one so I will blame Yanmar for installing the clamp at the edge of the hose.I deal with machinery every day in my manufacturing plant so I am used to some failures but the QC of my Kohler generator leaves a lot to be desired,at this point I don't want another Kohler generator!!!

Martin Diesel, Jim
    419-782-9911
    They will work and repair any brand, I think they use Yanmar almost 100% when they build there gen sets. Great guy!

Thanks Kevin.

I have the same one Kevin has,I haven't had any problem.

After almost a year I have decided to throw in the towel and hopefully I will never again purchase another Kohler product.Karen Baird that works for Nixon Power in Tennessee refuses to explain how I was charged $271.60 for a round trip for service that was less than 30 miles and they also charged $89.77 for shop supplies which would be fair but my research has found that this charge is not SOP.I have written Kohler and they refuse to help me so I can only do one thing and that is to not support Kohler with my future purchases.The only thing that I can say nice about Nixon Power is that the technicians were knowledgeable and they did repair the generator.If any of you need service on your Kohler generator from Nixon Power make sure that they email a quote before you contract with them!I have a Powertech generator that is 16 years old and a Onan that is 7 years old and both of them have never had a problem,there is a great chance that I will purchase a Powertech or Onan in my next coach.

We went all high end Kohler when we built our house. I know pluming is not generators, but the same name is on the product.
    From the start we had problems with fuacets, both leaking and problems with the finish and plating. To Kohler's credit they did keep sending me repair parts and replacements, but after a while I just quit fighting a losing battle and went to Lowes and bought replacements at 1/4 the cost. After a while they started exhibiting similar problems, but with cheap products I can accept them. I just go out and buy new ones.

Kind of like the pickup truck and Mercedes. Both are over 10 years old and I will tolerate a rattle in the pickup truck, but go crazy when I hear one in the Mercedes. Actually the pickup is as solid as an anvil.