Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I crossed a 10 ton bridge

Default I crossed a 10 ton bridge

Driving through Iowa recently, I missed a GPS turn and as usual, the Garmin "recalculated" and gave me a new route. Not to worry, I was barely off the interstate. The GPS is all knowing, sort of. Well, 10 minutes later I was in the middle of a corn field. Sure, it was paved, but the road was barely 20 feet wide with steep shoulders. No backing up, no turning around. The occasional farm house had a culvert into a narrow driveway. So, I kept driving.

15 minutes later, there was a small sign, "10 Ton Bridge Ahead". Ooops. What now? Again, it was a very narrow road, no backing up (I had a toad) and no place to turn around. I proceeded slowly with caution to see if there were any alternatives ahead.

When we finally arrived at the bridge, I saw that it was very short, perhaps 20 feet total, and really only a drainage ditch, perhaps spanning 3 feet. It was clear to me that although the coach weighs more than 20 tons, the front axle only about 7 tons and the rear, well... so we went for it.

Absolutely nothing happened. We crossed and went about our way. I didn't like it and hope to never do it again. But, this is a confessional so....

-fred

Thumbs up

Way to go Fred, it's all down hill from here on!

JIM

Yep! GPS are famous for putting you where you don't want to be overpasses are scary when it says 13-4" and you are 13-5 I have learned that overpasses are measured from the lowest point .

Fred,

We have all done that at one time or another. Anybody who says they haven't has a poor memory. I have also driven under an overpass in Chicago that was so close to scraping the satellite dome it wasn't even funny. I had dumped all of my air and we barely squeaked by.

I was driving in New Orleans recently and I noticed a sign "weight limit 10 tons". A cop flagged me down at the next intersection and said how much does that thing weigh? I said, 9 tons. He flagged me thru! Whew!

You sure have a beautiful Liberty - I have admired it for years.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by merle&louise; 08-24-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Gary,

Why would you think that overpasses were measured from other than the lowest point of clearance? Beats me.

Devin W Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael View Post
    Yep! GPS are famous for putting you where you don't want to be overpasses are scary when it says 13-4" and you are 13-5 I have learned that overpasses are measured from the lowest point .
    Are there any good GPS devices or programs that let you put in specific parameters for clearance and weight? I know most let you choose interstate, toll roads, etc, but it seems like that would be a nice thing to be able to use in navigating unfamiliar territory. I'm pretty cautious about getting off the interstate in metropolitan areas for that very reason.

edit: looks like I found some info right here --> http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...rmin-GPS/page2
    Last edited by Devin W; 08-26-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Just as a precaution, I always carry a truckers atlas. They show all low overpasses, bridges, etc. It highlights approved routes for large vehicles too. Not a bad investment

The Garmin Streetpilot C550 (an older model longer being manufactured) I have has a selection for type of vehicle; 'bus'. I would hope newer versions might, as well.

If you encounter a bridge that is rated near or below your coaches weight rating it is best to do it slowly. Or not at all.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Quote Originally Posted by hhoppe View Post
    If you encounter a bridge that is rated near or below your coaches weight rating it is best to do it slowly. Or not at all.
    Harry you got to be kidding How ya been Harry? I love the e-mails they make my day