Thread: I crossed a 10 ton bridge

Hybrid View

Yep! GPS are famous for putting you where you don't want to be overpasses are scary when it says 13-4" and you are 13-5 I have learned that overpasses are measured from the lowest point .

Fred,

We have all done that at one time or another. Anybody who says they haven't has a poor memory. I have also driven under an overpass in Chicago that was so close to scraping the satellite dome it wasn't even funny. I had dumped all of my air and we barely squeaked by.

I was driving in New Orleans recently and I noticed a sign "weight limit 10 tons". A cop flagged me down at the next intersection and said how much does that thing weigh? I said, 9 tons. He flagged me thru! Whew!

You sure have a beautiful Liberty - I have admired it for years.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by merle&louise; 08-24-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Gary,

Why would you think that overpasses were measured from other than the lowest point of clearance? Beats me.

Devin W Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael View Post
    Yep! GPS are famous for putting you where you don't want to be overpasses are scary when it says 13-4" and you are 13-5 I have learned that overpasses are measured from the lowest point .
    Are there any good GPS devices or programs that let you put in specific parameters for clearance and weight? I know most let you choose interstate, toll roads, etc, but it seems like that would be a nice thing to be able to use in navigating unfamiliar territory. I'm pretty cautious about getting off the interstate in metropolitan areas for that very reason.

edit: looks like I found some info right here --> http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...rmin-GPS/page2
    Last edited by Devin W; 08-26-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Just as a precaution, I always carry a truckers atlas. They show all low overpasses, bridges, etc. It highlights approved routes for large vehicles too. Not a bad investment