Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California campground suggestions please

Default California campground suggestions please

Hi all,

We're wintering in California this year. So far we have reservations in Malibu, Los Angeles area, and Long Beach.

Last time we stayed in Crescent City, Myers Flatt, Fort Bragg, Napa, Morro Bay, Salinas, and Anaheim. We're looking for new sites.

If you have a favourite California campground, please share. We're especially interested in possible destinations for the holiday weeks (Christmas and New Year's), maybe a state park or two (Pismo State Beach? Montaņa de Oro? Cambria? Oceano? Carpinteria?).

Thanks much!

Pamela & Lloyd

Lloyd and Pamela,

We just returned from California and found that good parks are hard to find. It looks like you have found most of them already. I could find very little north along the coast once you go north of San Luis Obispo. We did stay in one park in Buellton, Flying Flags RV Resort, that is about 4 miles from Solvang (just north of Santa Barbara) and was very convenient to all of the sites around the Santa Ynez valley. I did not stay there, but we saw a county park at Lake Chumash (sp) that was a very pretty setting, but I cannot attest to the quality of services. We stayed at Morro Bay and found the services to be adequate, but the spaces were tight. We also stayed in Anaheim at Orangeland and found the location extremely convenient, but again very tight. I heard that there was a very nice park in Paso Robles, but I did not stay there. Paso would be a good place to base out of for a while, especially in the cooler months of the year, in my opinion. There are some great wineries within minutes of Paso and San Luis Obispo.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

My favorite spot in the winter in California is Signature Resorts Motorcoach Country Club 888-277-0789 www.motorcoachcountryclub.com in Palm Desert. I look forward to spend a month there every year. I like the lots that are on the golf course or if you like the water they have them too. The on thing you will love is the weather. There is so much to do there you will run out of money before time:-) One more great place to stay is at Newport Beach also #1 you park right on the beach the view is out of this world!!! This is run by the city of Hunington Beach and is open only for motorhomes in the winter. Don't confuse this with a place called Newport Dunes!!! Don't get me wrong thats a great place alson but nothing like parking right on the beach!!
    Last edited by Sid Tuls; 08-21-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Hi Llloyd. There is several places between Ventura and Gaviota along the coast.

www.oceanmesa.com
    http://www.venturabeachrvpark.com/amenities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N54QhpfJglc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEohL...eature=related

El Capitan State Beach- maybe length limit
    Refugio State Beach-maybe lengh limit
    Last edited by garyde; 08-22-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Lloyd & Pamela,

Gary hit the nail on the head with the Ventura Beach RV Resort. We have stayed there twice and would go back again. The spaces aren't huge but are very nicely landscaped. There is direct access to the beach for walking and biking. Ventura itself is a nice town. There is some freeway noise but we got used to it.

Have you visited San Diego? It's a beautiful town with lots to do. Don't have experience with RV parks but hear the Mission Bay RV Resort is nice.

Hi all,

Thank you for every suggestion!

Brian and Beverly, we've been to San Diego, but just briefly and we also don't have experience with RV parks there.

Thanks again.

Our best,

Pamela & Lloyd

Pismo Coastal Villlage isn't bad either. Right on the beach, and walking distance into town. Jenny and I stayed a week there this spring.

Chula Vista RV near San Diego is nice.
    I also like the ORA Rancho Calif east of Temecula
    Any of the Indio/Palm Springs are great in the winter.

As mentioned earlier the Flying Flags in Buellton is located in a grate area.

Ray

We like the Motorcoach Country Club in Indio, CA and the Moss Landing KOA at Moss Landing, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Chula Vista RV near San Diego is nice.
    I also like the ORA Rancho Calif east of Temecula
    Any of the Indio/Palm Springs are great in the winter.

As mentioned earlier the Flying Flags in Buellton is located in a grate area.

Ray
    Hi Ray, I thing you mean 'grape area'.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide