Thread: Door would not latch

Default Door would not latch

I am at the Flying J outside Louisville and parked the coach and got out and the door would not latch,I think that over time the striker moved inward and the latch would no longer clamp the striker.I adjusted the striker outward and problem solved,it takes a T50 tork driver to get the striker loose,I was lucky and had one.I bet when I roll tomorrow I will have air noise,but the door closes.

My vintage Elegant Lady has an "air lock" for the door. I use it when traveling and it pulls the door in nice and tight. It does cut down on the wind noise.

My door had a "shutting tight" issue but it was caused by the bushing on the striker falling into pieces.
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

Quote Originally Posted by ToyMan View Post
    My vintage Elegant Lady has an "air lock" for the door. I use it when traveling and it pulls the door in nice and tight. It does cut down on the wind noise.

My door had a "shutting tight" issue but it was caused by the bushing on the striker falling into pieces.
    I've had this issue on Evangline twice now. I've been able to solve it by adjusting, then tightening the striker. I have a switch on the dash for the air lock function, but unfortunately, it is not operational. I would love to get that feature working! Perhaps when my "project list" dwindles down a bit, I can raise the priority level on this one.

Michael, Only directed at you because of your post, but this is a general comment. Little things that have gone wrong add up. If each little malfunction is ignored over time the bus becomes a disaster area. Each problem individually is likely not a big deal to address, but over time with multiple problems not only is the bus a lot less fun, some problems contribute to or mask bigger problems.

As an example, Fred posted recently he had to replace a HW heater because it had bulged indicating it had been subject to excessive pressures. It is likely the pop off valve designed to deal with excess pressures was leaking because of excess pressures and was changed to one rated in excess of the tank limits to stop the leaking. The result is the tank bulged and could have ruptured. But in all probability the reason this all happened was because the expansion tank or accumulator in his bus had not been maintained. The bladder pressure had gone to zero, and a short cycling water pump which is the indication of that lack of bladder pressure had been ignored. If the accumulator tank bladder had been repressurized to 20 or 30 pounds he would no longer have a short cycling water pump and would not have had to spend serious money to replace the HW tank.

My point is the little stuff may not be a big deal if left unrepaired, or in some cases it can be an indicator of a small problem that will ultimately have serious consequences. My free advice is to attack that list of problems and make them go away so they do not mask or cause more serious problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    - snip -
    My point is the little stuff may not be a big deal if left unrepaired, or in some cases it can be an indicator of a small problem that will ultimately have serious consequences. My free advice is to attack that list of problems and make them go away so they do not mask or cause more serious problems.
    Jon - point well taken! I am now revising my priority list to make sure that issues with "potential" get addressed as soon as possible!

How do you know which ones have the potential to bite you in the butt? The only time I realize stuff like that is while I am massaging the teeth marks in my ass. Seriously, if we saw the string of events that would lead to a bigger problem, most of us would not ignore the little problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    How do you know which ones have the potential to bite you in the butt? The only time I realize stuff like that is while I am massaging the teeth marks in my ass. Seriously, if we saw the string of events that would lead to a bigger problem, most of us would not ignore the little problems.
    By "potential" I mean mechanical, electical, system/component issues/anomalies rather than "I don't like that color" or "I wish that chair was more comfortable" type issues....

My real problem was that the door was so far out of adjustment that it wore the latch oval shaped and it would not hold the door closed.I replaced the latch and readjusted the striker and the door closes as it is meant to.I guess that it was adjusted this way from Liberty.