Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin GPS

Default Garmin GPS

My Garmin 2720 Street Pilot unit's maps are expired. When I tried to update to the North America 2010 version the Garmin web site stated that the 2720 unit is no longer available. I call Garmin, 42minute wait time on hold, and the "Support" person informed me that the 2720 is still supported however, if one updates to the current maps, the unit does not have the capacity to hold the entire upgrade and will only except a region, and as a bonus, the update will Dump all of the current map leaving one with basically a TOY useful only in a region

The Street Pilot was Garmins best at one time and I would like to replace it with an equivalent. Any suggestions?? In reading past posts about GPS it seems the Nuvi is less of a unit and routing is questionable, is this still how you Nuvi owners feel? How about TOM TOM ??

For now I will continue with the out dated maps and endure the reroute prompts.

Thanks for the inputs,

You might check out Delorme Topo - this runs on your laptop with a small Garmin receiver and gives you incredible info for planning and traveling. We also have a Nuvi but this does not give you situational awareness - ie: where you are in relation to the rest of the world.

www.delorme.com

Larry,

I have the Garmin 255 nuvi, and I really like it. It goofes up sometimes especially when looking for restaurants. As you know, restaurants open/close (fail and go out of business). It has some clitches, but I'll bet that they all do. For $200 - it ain't a bad deal. Rather than update it every year at $70 per year, I have decided to just buy a new 255 nuvi every 3 years. That way I get a new battery and battery charger, etc.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

As the resident technology grinch one of my best reasons for not embracing "technology" is about 3 minutes after you purchase the latest and greatest gadget (which takes the equivalent of 2 years to learn) it is outdated and superceded.

I still have a VCR and it still blinks 12:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I still have a VCR and it still blinks 12:00.

Hey Jon, I can help you with your blinking VCR clock if you want?

I finally found something I can help Jon with on his bus that he doesn't know about. I FEEL GOOD about myself now.!!!

Gary S.

You can set the clock for me Gary, and then show me how to use it.

I have seen the Garmin Nuvi for truckers at maybe $299.00. Will not route you on non legal roads, low under passes, etc. I one got routed to a bridge in Panama City FL that had a 3T limit. Was on it before I knew what happened. Must have been mis-marked as I sail right across.

Dee later asked if we weighed more than 3T. I guess not.

Thanks for info guys, I have to agree with Jon as to the Tech stuff, but its nice to know which lane is going to end and which one I should be in and how far from the exit I am with some of the anti-RV crowd out on the highways and byways working hard to NOT let you change lanes.

I use MS Streets and Trips for planning but like the real time map while on the road----my traveling companion is not good with directions or maps

MIKE; does the 'truck' version of the Garmin work OK when traveling in your car looking for places that one would not drive a big rig ?

I also purchased the truckers Garmin I think its model 495T,sent me thru downtown Moultrie, Georgia. I assume the trees branches had grown considerably with no way for Garmin to know as it sounded as if someone was bowling on the roof. It happened to be around the holidays and to our surprise we accumulated a few strings of lights, but they had plenty strung throughout town so I don't think they missed them(at least not right away). Good news was a little rubbing compound and wax and good as new and we have bus decorations.

[QUOTE=MIKE; does the 'truck' version of the Garmin work OK when traveling in your car looking for places that one would not drive a big rig ?[/QUOTE]

I'm also interested in the answer to that question.