Thread: Garmin GPS

Hybrid View

Default Garmin GPS

My Garmin 2720 Street Pilot unit's maps are expired. When I tried to update to the North America 2010 version the Garmin web site stated that the 2720 unit is no longer available. I call Garmin, 42minute wait time on hold, and the "Support" person informed me that the 2720 is still supported however, if one updates to the current maps, the unit does not have the capacity to hold the entire upgrade and will only except a region, and as a bonus, the update will Dump all of the current map leaving one with basically a TOY useful only in a region

The Street Pilot was Garmins best at one time and I would like to replace it with an equivalent. Any suggestions?? In reading past posts about GPS it seems the Nuvi is less of a unit and routing is questionable, is this still how you Nuvi owners feel? How about TOM TOM ??

For now I will continue with the out dated maps and endure the reroute prompts.

Thanks for the inputs,

You might check out Delorme Topo - this runs on your laptop with a small Garmin receiver and gives you incredible info for planning and traveling. We also have a Nuvi but this does not give you situational awareness - ie: where you are in relation to the rest of the world.

www.delorme.com

Larry,

I have the Garmin 255 nuvi, and I really like it. It goofes up sometimes especially when looking for restaurants. As you know, restaurants open/close (fail and go out of business). It has some clitches, but I'll bet that they all do. For $200 - it ain't a bad deal. Rather than update it every year at $70 per year, I have decided to just buy a new 255 nuvi every 3 years. That way I get a new battery and battery charger, etc.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

As the resident technology grinch one of my best reasons for not embracing "technology" is about 3 minutes after you purchase the latest and greatest gadget (which takes the equivalent of 2 years to learn) it is outdated and superceded.

I still have a VCR and it still blinks 12:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I still have a VCR and it still blinks 12:00.

Hey Jon, I can help you with your blinking VCR clock if you want?

I finally found something I can help Jon with on his bus that he doesn't know about. I FEEL GOOD about myself now.!!!

Gary S.

You can set the clock for me Gary, and then show me how to use it.

Jon, I can remember the day when I paid $1600.00 bucks for the new VCR to watch movies at home. That was my first VCR and as big as a carry on suitcase. Spent some time getting it to show the movie through the TV ? Yes, it did blink 12:00. Boy were we liv"in large with a VCR.
    Jon, your messages are rather short lately, will we assume that this is the back to the regular size but will move back to the super size again ?
    AL

No one navigation aid should be solely relied upon to travel. On a recent trip, Karen and I were traveling thru Rapid City, SD. We got to a 4 way intersection: the GPS said turn left, Microsoft Streets & Trips said turn right and a large sign indiciated for us to go STRAIGHT! The GPS is 2 years old, Streets & Trips is 2005 version, and the sign indicating for us to go straight was a brand new paved road (fresh dirt on the shoulders). The Rand McNally travel atlas actually showed the left turn or the right turn would be acceptable.

I like my GPS for actual navigating thru a busy city. I like Streets & Trips for planning out a trip; inserting push pins for things that we want to see. Louise likes the travel atlas because she can see the "whole picture" at once. So we use all 3 when we travel. We also like Jon said use good common sense.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by BoaterAl View Post
    Jon, I can remember the day when I paid $1600.00 bucks for the new VCR to watch movies at home. That was my first VCR and as big as a carry on suitcase. Spent some time getting it to show the movie through the TV ? Yes, it did blink 12:00. Boy were we liv"in large with a VCR.
    Jon, your messages are rather short lately, will we assume that this is the back to the regular size but will move back to the super size again ?
    AL

I have short messages because nobody is challenging me to opine. That and the fact I have a home project going on that involves moving dirt from some property I own down to the house so I spend my days now driving a dump truck and running a backhoe and Bobcat. The dump truck has been my latest project and I am giving it a good workout and it is getting the job done.

My VCR still blinks 12:00, I have no clue how to operate the sound system in the house, and just when I got the DVD (or is it DVR) blue tooth or blue ray or blue something comes along. Our sound system still has a cassette player in the stack. Of the ten or so TVs we have only one is plasma and high definition, every other one is one of those honking big sets, all of which work 100% of the time which is more than I can say for the one plasma TV.

But the important thing is we need to see Maddie the Wonder Dog. We are on Rauchy #3 and #2 used to be our bus buddie. Ed and Donna, Gary and Peg, you guys and us are all Schnauzer owners. There may be more we don't know about. We don't bring ours with us because we also have a Lab mix and between the two we would not be welcome in campgrounds. Rauchy has a big mouth and barks at anything that moves and Shadow follows right along. So we put them in the spa when we travel. Some time we will share a story about Rauchy(#2) the Wonder Dog.