Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow... we're new to Prevost and this is sooo awesome !!

Red face Wow... we're new to Prevost and this is sooo awesome !!

Hi Everyone...
    I am Diane and my husband is Larry Byrd.. we live in Lufkin, Texas which is 120 miles north of Houston on highway 59 N. We have been motorhoming off and on since 1977 and we love it. We also are avid boaters (motoryacht) and have a boat in Galveston, TX. We just purchased our first Prevost a couple of months ago.. after much looking and discussion we decided on a 1998 H3-45 D/S by Vantare.. we fell in love with the floor plan and the general condition of the coach.. it doesn't have everything we wanted but came closer than most. We were really torn between the XL and the H3 models and finally decided we loved the open feeling of the H3 partly because we have a 2005 HR Navigator with 4 slides and have enjoyed the space (it's currently for sale).. but we were still undecided about how we would feel sitting down in the front driving (something we share) but now we just love it.. We have previously owned Bluebirds, Newell coaches and HR Navigators.. and now finally a Prevost... we know we made the right decision, it's the only way to go.

Firstly let me tell you how impressed I am with the forums.. members.. etc .. I have already saved a fortune on our insurance 1/2 what we signed up for originally... thanks POG !!

Our coach like a few others came with little or no information on where or how to do or fix things.. I love keeping things up on the coaches we own but have run into a few snags with this one ! These forums are so informative I have learned so much already.. I just can't thank you all enough for sharing all this info. I wonder if I will ever get through reading them all. I don't want to miss a thing.

We have 2 Trace inverters (4000 watts each I think) The top one I assume is Leg 1 and the bottom one is Leg2.. I am not sure how they should be set. I currently have them in the "ON" mode the top one on "Inverting" and the bottom one on "GEN" (auto) . We have 2 transfer switches that have 3 settings.. left side is "GEN" middle is "OFF" and right is "UTIL" .. I understand that if in the "OFF" position they should transfer automatically to the available power source. Only the leg 2 is doing it automatically.. the top one leg 1 isn't transferring over so we have to do it manually each time which is a pain. when observing the electric panel with the transfer switch in the "OFF" mode the power comes on and then drops rapidly constantly.... just keeps doing it... and it doesn't matter whether the "GEN" is running or the AC available... the power keeps clicking on and then drops over and over... as soon as I manually switch it to the appropriate source its fine. At first I thought it was the transfer switch but it seems to be working. Anyone ever experienced this? Or have any ideas.. I guess the next step is to check the house batteries... seems like a fun challenge... I don't believe that anyone ever wanted me to find them.. but I did.. after MUCH searching and then a call to Vantare... couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them..I guess I'll have to buy one of those long pizza oven spades to remove them or perhaps a forklift?? I could not see a way to check them short of taking everything apart !! Now thats something... I'm seriously wondering if they didn't build the coach around them !! I am open to suggestions for sure on this one. I'm sure this is just the beginning of our new venture here. I always loved a challenge !!
    We will be at the Rally and look forward to meeting you POGers !!
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Diane

SEABYRD
    Last edited by Seabyrd; 08-21-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

Diane,

I can not help much on the Vantare electrical system setup. But use this link to try and find the online manuals for you inverters.
    http://www.xantrex.com/support.asp

Get the model numbers off of your inverters and download the correct manuals for the above listed site.

Removing and replacing the house batteries can be a difficult job. The batteries are Heavy and there are a lot of connections and wires that have to be re-connected properly. If you remove the batteries, load test them all before you replace them. If any of the batteries are bad, then they need to all be replaced. But I would make sure your inverters are properly charging the batteries before I started down the road of removing them.

Maybe a Vantare owner will chime in on all the 3 way switches.

Welcome to the asylum. Your questions are specific to Vantare so those who own or are familiar with your conversion are the best ones to answer your questions.

I believe Vantare is alone in running every electric device through the inverters so answering questions relative to them needs to be from someone who actually understands how Vantare has set up the electrical system.

Just remember, we always answer your questions and on rare occasions we provide the correct answers. It is up to you to sort out fact from fiction.

Diane,

Welcome another H3 !

Alek

Diane, welcome aboard. Prevost ownership is an adventure by itself.
    Last edited by HarborBus; 08-12-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Diane and Larry, Welcome to the crowd. We loved our H3 and will have another when our travel needs change again. By any chance, are you related to Lester Byrd in Arlington, TX. He has a Beaver XL 40 Bus like ours. We are Bus 34 and his is Bus 30.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Jim and Chris,
    No..we're not related to Lester Byrd.. thanx for your warm welcome.. we are happy to be a member here..
    Diane
    Last edited by Seabyrd; 08-21-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.

Thanks so much for the link...
    Today we took the coach to Houston to "Birdland" (RV Service Center) and we were impressed with the help we received there. We were there without an appointment and had the batteries checked. We found out that we should replace them soon. Also found out that they aren't as big of a pain to replace as I originally thought. We will take care of that next week hopefully.
    "Birdland" was an impressive facility with lots of Prevosts lined up there.
    Again thanks for your help ..
    Diane
    Last edited by Seabyrd; 08-21-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.

Diane,

I helped do some work on a bus that allegedly had been maintained at Birdland by the former owner of the coach, a POG member, and one who was fastidious about timely maintenance. What is unknown is if the defective work on the coach was done solely by Birdland or if there were other shops involved, so just be aware.

It is my opinion (I will stress this, It is only an opinion) that he was taken advantage of and maintenance work he was paying for never got done, or if it was done it was done poorly. I will go further by stating that some of the work I saw (which may or may not have been done by Birdland) bordered on dangerous. One of the hubs had been assembled with no safeties securing the main nuts and that could have led to an axle and wheels separating from the coach.

Many POG members post their pleasure at the quality of work done by various service companies and I am sure there are many high quality shops. But it is my free advice that if you get work done on your coach, be present, observe the work, ask questions, and let the shop know you care, are concerned, and are watching.

I am cynical and admit it. When a shop specializes in the Prevost and your conversion specifically that shop likely has the expertise to do the work properly. But as an owner you have the ultimate responsibility to insure the work you are paying for is done right and at a fair price. I don't have a dog in the fight so I can say this without worry about being accused of being a shill. Look to our sponsors and advertisers to help you maintain your coach. They possess years and years of experience, have a depth of knowledge I can only dream about, and they will do the work properly.

Welcome Diane and Larry. It is great to have some moreTexans in POG. I hope you can make it to the rally in Kerrville in October.

Jon is referring to my old Prevost that had extensive work done at Birdland over the five+ years we owned it. My experience with Birdland was that if Michael (the owner) or Joe did the work it was top notch. If it was one of the other technicians you want to be cautious. I have had 8 years of Prevost service experience in the Houston area and would be happy to provide some insight. Feel free to give me a call at 713.831.6496 or send me a PM.
    Last edited by Loc; 08-13-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston