Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elegant Lady Plumbing

So what was wrong with the macerator, electrical or mechanical?

JIM

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    While replacing a failed macerator pump this week I ended up taking apart all the copper piping in the waste water bay to provide easy access to the macerator pump (and to polish the piping to make plastic piping owners envious).

While this post is the perfect opportunity for those not having a coach with such spectacular appearing plumbing to poke fun at us, let this be considered a word of caution for those that do have the pretty polished copper piping.

About 3 or 4 years ago the piping that goes from the top right fitting into the top of the tank at the right (Not shown in the photos) was replaced on my coach. I had just gotten through polishing my slack adjusters and was working on the copper and I noticed the pipe had perforated due to some corrosion that began inside the pipe.

Now the pipe I made to replace the original is showing signs of internal corrosion and its life is limited.

The piping assembly that extends from the center top of the compartment, and two fittings on the tank to the gray water by-pass valve is also showing signs of significant corrosion and in spots of the assembly it is paper thin. It also had extensive internal build up of a black material that would break off in hard chunks. The life of this tubing assembly is also limited.

The centrally located tube which extends from the bottom of the holding tank to the macerator inlet is sound and free of evidence of corrosion. The tube which extends from the top LH fitting to the top of the tank on the left is also free of build up or corrosion.

The photos show the blue corrosion on one of the tubes which indicates the copper is being eaten away. We do not use chemicals other than soap or dishwashing soap so I have no idea what would be causing the corrosion. I chipped some of the black scale from the pipe interior so it is not possible to see how occluded the pipe had become despite being relatively new.

On the photo of the piping the assembly, the left hand side tubing assembly is the second one I consider life limited. The upper portion of this assembly under the clamp at the rubber connector already had perforated completely through, but because of its location I can get more use out of it. It will not be long before I have to remake that assembly.

The last photo shows a 3/4" stub sticking out to the right of the tubing leading to the gray water by-pass. I am revising the macerator discharge so it is introduced to the waste line at that point. As it has been plumbed it exits at the top of the bay and makes a convoluted path to the hose bib at the rear of the bus. It will now share the hose bib with the gray water by-pass. I will post pictures when I am done. I did this to significantly reduce back pressure on the pump by shortening the discharge piping.

My reason for posting this is to alert those with this type of waste water piping to be alert to potential tubing perforations, with the result possibly being a leak of waste water into the bay. Sometimes plastic is good. It is just not as pretty.
    With the macerator discharge entering below the graywater by-pass valve wouldn't you then be creating a black water by-pass with no more control than the macerator pump switch or did I miss interpret something you said?

Do you mean when your job is done the grey water will then exit the bus in the right rear at the existing macerator discharge?

I do not have a hose bib at the exit point of my grey water by-pass.
    JIM

Jim,

On mine, the grey water bypass discharge pipe was threaded PVC, so I just adapted down to a garden house fitting.

My gray water by-pass exits the bay downward as a copper tube, but then it has a No-Hub fitting (a rubber connection) to a PVC elbow to which is attached a copper hose connection.

I am merely rerouting the macerator discharge to go from the macerator outlet to a point on the gray water discharge tube, below the shut off valve and above the floor. To discharge gray water open the valve. To use it for the macerator, close the valve and turn on the macerator pump.

My macerator motor is fine but the pump will not pump. My guess is the impeller is shot. There are kits available so i will rebuild iut and keep it as a spare. With less back pressure to pump the waste the impeller should last much longer. I could have just added a hole in the bottom of the bay and had a hose connection strictly for the macerator but I don't like adding holes.

Jon: I guess you know you made my day because my cheapy model Liberty has plastic pipe. I'm sorry to hear you are having the trouble though. I guess I better be happier with my plastic pipe. Maybe I should find some plastic polish and polish them babies up. Well here's the minor bit of flak you anticipated. You are still our fearless leader though. Metal men hate plastic and I'm no exception. We were building solar water tanks of stainless steel, some areas had corrosive fresh water supplies and required copper tanks. So SS would not be an option for waste water. Lead, lead coated copper cast iron or plastic are the only choices.
    Cheers
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Jon, This is probably a dumb question but why did you have to disassemble the piping? On mine I can clean in place, By the way that reaction in that piping could be coming from your water source. Also I use WENOL metal polish, just wipe it on and let dry and polish very easy.Distributor is Reckitt Benckiser a german Co. Tel:+49(0)621-3246-570

I could use 316 Stainless and that would be sure to work but I think given the prices we used to pay for 316 sheet stock when we made drains for the chemical industry it would be cheaper to replace the bus rather than the piping.

I may be polishing plastic with you Harry, but I like the bling. Roger told me to say that.

Gary,

I pulled all the piping apart because I needed access to remove the macerator and in doing so I decided to revise the outlet location from the rear of the bus to a fitting at the waste bay. I did replace the one tube previously because it had perforated from some chemical reaction. The replacement is experiencing the same thing and I don't understand that because we do not use any cleaners (we don't use Drano, or toilet bowl chemicals, or even Comet. We do use dish soap and shampoos but maybe it is something I ate like all them oysters at Wintzels.

Every now and then (at least until Kevin took the wind out of my sails) I have to jab the guys on here about such important things as polishing slack adjusters and copper pipes.

BTW, I use Flitz, or Mothers, or Blue Magic (from Walmart), or any other cheap stuff that will work. When I am desperate I use the stuff in the kitchen that is used to polish the bottoms of Revere wear pots.

Jon, if your trying to zero in on any particular food your eating, I think you might look at all those acidic tomatoes you said you grow and can
    Seriously, didn't you say the water on your mountain top retreat was terrible. Maybe there is a connection.

JIM

Jon,

If your macerator was the same vintage as mine, the impeller parts are no longer available, so I had to change out the entire pump. I found a new pump assembly on e-bay that was a direct replacement, no plumbing changes needed.