Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Pressure Monitoring System

As the in-house curmudgeon I have to chime in. So far there does not appear to be a single best tire pressure monitoring system. My opinion only.

I have considerable reservations about any system that monitors pressures by putting a sensor type cap on the valve stems. Apart from issues accessing the inner drive tire to add pressure or replace the cap my strongest concern is you are relying on a single seal at the sensor cap. I used to use metal caps with a seal as a backup to the Schrader valves. They worked OK, but since I went to the valve caps that allow filling through them, and the double seal they provide I have never had my tires hold air so well. I just cannot convince myself to use a system that replaces that second valve stem seal.

The type with the band that mounts internally appears to address that but my concern there is the compatibility with Equal. I have used Equal with great success for about 18 years and I cannot find anything as good anywhere near the price. There is no doubt in my mind Balance Masters and Centrimatics will work well, but they are very expensive. The combined cost of the monitoring system and the Centrimatics will buy a couple of tires.

So I use Tattle Trail on the toad and hope it works. It appears it may work very well. The bus, I rely on tire pressure checks. Maybe someday I will have a change of heart, but for now I check my tires and hope for the best.

We have all heard stories about tire problems and how monitors saved the day. There is no doubt they are beneficial.

I use PressurePro with Centramatics and Crossfires (wow is there anything else I can put on my wheels? Spinners maybe! lol), and have had great success.

I have the Smartire system and so far like it. Have only had it about three weeks and about 2500 miles. The only draw back I see so far is the fact that if you decide to change some of your tire pressures, you have to reprogram the system to the new pressure and that requires a programmer I don't have. Am going to see if I can buy one but have not had time to try to track one down. My 40 foot coach did not require a repeater. Have one antenna in the drive tire area and one between the front steers.

Good day,

I have used the smartire system for 4 years without any problems. If you have the instruction manual, it will tell you how yo change the pressures, and other factors without a programmer. All you need to use is the readout box. If you are using a Silverleaf display, then I would recommend contacting them for the process.

Woody,The Hopkins looks like the Pressure Pro Sensors,you can buy them from Costco online when you need more.

Charles you can get the programmer at Les Shwab in Junction City spelling might be wrong! if not I have one.

Thanks all. I have now been told you can program anything you need with the display I have. Don't need the programmer.

We have a Smart Tire monitoring system on our new ride. One of the sensors is bad and I have been told that Smart Tire is out of business. Does anyone know where I can find a new sensor?

Thanks
    Bob

Lightbulb

Bob/Deb, I have the Smart Tire and have been assured by the selling agent, Les Schwab that the sensors will be available for the life of the product. Even though Bendix pulled the product from the RV market they will not let existing users holding the proverbial Bag.

You may want to contact Paul Kintigh at Les Schwab 1-800-257-8430.

This is a West Coast company so you could call now.

JIM

just a comment
    I have Tire Guard system and was told by the Tech person that I should remove them from the tires when not using them. This save the battery life of the sensors. Apparently pressure turns them on.

I have had this system for a while now and when the batteries go out you have to buy new sensors. I was having problems receiving the signals so I took the unit to the company in Cerrittos, California and Steve the customer service tech told me about the battery life. The new sensors fixed the problem.