Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mountains and Tranny

I am finally at a place with wifi again. We have been from Cortez co, to Zion ut, to salt lake and now in Arco Id. The tach and speedo have failed a few times only momentarily the speedo twice has pegged itself and then came back to 65. Not much mountain driving. We are headed to yellowstone from here, expect there will be some elevation changes in route to Jackson hole then up to cotter bay. I have spoken to prevost several times and they believe it is heat related in a connection in the engine tranny area. I will keep you posted if and when anything is ever found. I will be pulling all the connections a parts looking for any corrosion and put back with dielectric grease when I get back to the east coast.

The good news is all has been ok. I have been very careful not to build up much heat, using exhaust break as little as possible. I made it to Jackson Hole, the Tetons, Yellowstone, Cody Wy, Sturgis Sd, and now at Cedar Point Ohio all seems good. I guess that is the bad news as well. It's never good to not find a problem. Never know when it will pop up again. Do you think it makes any sence to have the codes read in the tranny and engine, or just wait for another issue?

For what it's worth---While at the Allison shop the tech told me that on my model if you back up it wipes out all of the transmission codes.

Was he serious?

That's a new one. Think about it ?? How could a transmission shop ever get a problem fixed if the codes were removed when you punched reverse.
    John, there is supposed to be a great burger place in Nevada, I'am told ? Does anything come to mind. We run Hwy 71 often as the bus is kept in Peculiar ,MO. yes, that is the towns name. But the best town name has to be ..Tightwad, MO. There was a bank branch there years ago which did a brisk business opening checking accounts.
    AL

Most important first--the burger place is the White Grill and has been serving the best cheese burgers in the world since 1938--grilled onions cooked with the meat on the grill.Never been a frozen pattie in the place. Suzie Q potatoes and you have your grease injection for a week. The bank in Tightwad is still in business as far as I know--it's a branch of a large bank. I know Peculiar well--aunt and uncle live there. When Charlie Findley owned the Kansas City A's he got into a peeing contest with KC and threatened to move the team to Peculiar to become the Peculiar Athletics. Oakland had a better deal I guess.
    Lastly--the Allison Tech in Middletown CT told us exactly that--back up and wipe out the trouble codes. Later models don't have that "peculiar" problem. It made no sense to me either.

We had a 1987 with the 5 speed Allison with ATEC. We had a sensor issue that locked the transmission in gear and as a result we ended up along side of the interstate. To get more to safety we managed to get it into reverse and backed up the shoulder to an on ramp away from the speeding traffic.

The Prevost tech with the computer reader came to us and hooked it up and was able to read the codes even though we had backed up about 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

At the time he read the codes the problem was not showing up so he was reading historical data. The problem was intermittent and turned out to be a bad 28 pin connector at the side of the trannie. Maybe some model year transmissions acted differently, but that is the first I ever heard anyone say to not back up.