Thread: Driving/Conditions OR/CA in Oct/Nov

Ben Guest

Default Driving/Conditions OR/CA in Oct/Nov

Does anyone have experience driving between Portland and San Francisco in late Oct, early Nov? I was just wondering how bad it is going through the mountains.

I have the choice of spending the next 30 days exploring Northern California and the Oregon coast, or heading South (I'm in Santa Rosa, CA right now). I have to end up in Daytona Beach, Florida by December 7th.

Petervs Guest

Oregon and Northern Calif in Late October and November are usually no problem. There will be rain, and wet roads. The pass on I-5 near the Oregon border gets a blizzard 2-4 days a year, rarely during this time. period. The road almost never closes, but chains are required while it is snowing. Never lasts longer than 2 days so you can easily plan the trip to avoid the problem. If you go on remote back roads you might get snow that will slow you down but not the interstates.

Don't worry, be happy, as the song goes.

Petervs Guest

And they never get snow on the coast itself, the ocean is 42 degrees and the weather dcomes from the northwest so all you get at the coast is rainy days.

Default Black Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Does anyone have experience driving between Portland and San Francisco in late Oct, early Nov? I was just wondering how bad it is going through the mountains.

I have the choice of spending the next 30 days exploring Northern California and the Oregon coast, or heading South (I'm in Santa Rosa, CA right now). I have to end up in Daytona Beach, Florida by December 7th.
    There are several areas from Ashalnd to Redding ( before you get down the Hills) where in the mornings , there will be frozen Ice on the road. Proceed with caution, you can not always see it. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide