Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Water and Holding Tanks

Dale,

In the restaurant we try to use T&S brand where ever possible. Their stuff is bullet proof.

Mike

Default bypass

Ben what do you mean by 99% dump overboard? How are you enjoying the Oregon rain?
    GregM

ken&ellen Guest

Default Vandal proof hand dryer

MM, I think you would recommend the vandal proof Excel or World hand dryer in chrome of course! Less restroom mess with all those paper towels every where. The models activated with the motion sensing devices prevents the spred of germs. I am sure the Winchester model would be oil fired with a 5' flame to dry the immediate area of the campground. Ken

Ben Guest

I mean that I rarely store my graywater on board because it will cause my tank to fill faster than letting it drain onto the ground. So, when I turn on a sink or take a shower, you can see the water/soap coming out the underside of the bus. I'm doing it right now here in Oregon even though I'm parked at an RV park.

So, I turn on the graywater baypass switch, which causes all the sink and shower waste to be drained directly to the ground and my single waste tank is then used exclusively for black water, which allows me to last for 1.5-2 weeks before having to dump the tank.

So, I meant that 99% of the time I let me graywater be drained to the ground intead of being stored in my waste tank.

Be careful Ben, it's a big "no, no" in lots of places to dump grey water. Don't ask me why, it's just water and soap, but there are some real funky smelling grey tanks out there.

lewpopp Guest

Ben,

You mean to say that you are in an RV park and you don't drain your grey water out prior to leaving or every 5-6 days. What, no sewer hose?

Lew

Ken,

We have very few of those hand dryers in Houston. You generally spend about two minutes trying to dry them in the 99% humidity then you just wipe your hands on your pants and go on.

And what's the problem with a little flame action when required? Mike wouldn't let me bring my charcoal starter to POG 2, so it was pretty benign.

win42 Guest

Grey water coming from my grey water tank smells worse than the black tank. "Theres fungus among us"
    Jons tip given a couple of us @ POG2 of dumping a jug of dishwashing detergent in you tanks with a little water to slosh around while traveling, does wonders to the odor, cleans the tank and probably kills the bacteria. Jons presciption was handed out as a means of internally cleaning the probes on the side of the tanks that feed info to your panel showing tank levels.

Yeah I know the grey water gets a lot of soap from sink and shower, but it still stinks.

Lee Bornstein Guest

Ben:
    Be careful... when your tank gets to 65% full the black will start to flow out the grey bypass.

Lee
    97 Liberty XL 40 Classic

Ben Guest

I have no graywater tank and when I use the graywater bypass in my coach it does directly from the sink or shower to the ground completely bypassing the tank. I'm sure graywater smells if you store it in a tank for a while, but the water I'm talking about mainly contains... water... and a bit of soap. How does it stink so bad?... plug the drain in your shower at home and let it fill the tub as your shower and then learn over and smell it. That's what's going onto the ground in my case (it never goes into any kind of storage tank).

I know to close up that graywater bypass when my black tank is getting full... but in my experience I can get it up to about 75%, unless I'll be driving on very tristy roads. I usually close it when underway and then run some water before turning it back on just in case any black water splashed into the bypass valve area.

So, Lew... I have a sewer hose and I use it when I need to dump my tank. I have only one tank though and it can hold both black and graywater. If I use the graywater bypass, then I can use it as a black water tank and let the graywater go onto the ground (never being stored in a waste tank).

I turn off the graywater whenever there is a sign or when it would be objectionable (where in Oregon, I could dump my entire fresh water tank and nobody would notice that it happened since it's soooooo wet and rainy to begin with).

I'm not saying that everyone should use graywater bypass. But I'm not usually parked at an RV park and am often in areas where nobody could tell it's being used. It allows me to not have to dump my tanks for weeks instead of days and that's why I do it.