Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator Fumes can kill

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Generator Fumes can kill

This is about fumes from OTHER neighbors generators if your dry camping.

Some of you may recall my obsession with using a portable generator for overnight dry camping instead of our onboard diesel gen sets. I have been doing so successfully. The reason I feel compelled to do this is that I came very close to a generator fire when the turbo on the generator burned up once upon a time. So I can never get a deep sound sleep with the on board generator and as a result I started going to more RV parks instead of dry camping. But now, I'm able to dry camp with peace of mind now since I use a portable generator which I know most of you considered ridiculous before. I still use my main generator during the day. In fact it is more fuel efficient. But I won't go down that road again since I've resolved it and have the solution (that works for me).

I use a silent type converter generator but I've got some other contractor generators that I want to make quiet also by modifying with added mufflers, etc. I did some searching for how to accomplish this and in the process found something much more important to you all I think. The posts that I'm putting below are posts I found on some other forms in my search. Perhaps these can prove useful for all of us. Bear in mind that these were from forums of our RV'ers in general and not bus owners with big generators.

I'm currently at the Oshkosh Air Show and parked with the Royale coach club outside the main campground. There was several days of rain preceding the opening day here and as a result the grass grounds were unsuitable for letting most of the RV'ers in until it dried up and so they made alternate arrangements on asphalt for many. We are intermingled in with all types of campers. The weather here is on the cusp of running your generator or not depending on your comfort level. So as I'm riding my bike around this lot, I'm noticing some people with their windows open right next to some people with their generators running. Hence, the relevancy of my posting the comments below. I think most of us have carbon monoxide detectors (at least in the bedroom). I just put a new one in because I found out they don't last more than five years (or so I was told). Check your carbon monoxide detector and he'd these postings at your discretion.

(Post #1)
    A couple people died at RIR (Richmond, VA) at a NASCAR race event from CO poisoning (FROM A NIEGHBORING RV's GEN EXHAUST BLOWING INTO THEIR RIG).

GEN-TURI type vent MANDATORY to camp on RIR property...on all RVs now!

Good luck and stay safe!

(Post #2)

Two people died at the Indy 500 again this year from neighbor's generator. The rigs were packed in closely, and some people who are not running generators have roof fans pulling in air from roof level. So, even if your exhaust is directed to roof level, you still can kill your neighbor. Don't assume because you aren't running your own generator that you are safe. Since I use my roof vents and fans to bring in cool evening and night air, I don't park in any area that contains generator users. Don't use generators while sleeping under any circumstances. You only need the generator for ac or to charge your house batteries if you drain them down with TV, etc. You can use your stove, frig, furnace and water heater with LP, and the furnace fan, as well as ceiling vent fans, works off the battery with little drain. That said, you can easily last a couple of nights without using a generator. The solar panels have come down in price, and you can use them to recharge your house or other batteries. The only socially considerate time to use the gen set is when you are awake, parked out by yourself, and with the exhaust redirected.

(end of excerpts)

Be safe.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 07-29-2010 at 02:36 PM.

While no one can argue the dangers your post also makes it clear we should not even park overnight in a rest area or truck stop because any idling diesel engine can put out enough fumes to kill.

The real message should be to keep space between the coach and any other vehicle.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Jon, are you at Oshkosh ? I want to come find you and bug you. I'm going to find your outfits booth one way or the other and bother you if your here. Muhaaa, haaaa, Muhaaa, hhaaa.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 07-29-2010 at 03:52 PM.

sticks Guest

Were these deaths in RV's without CO alarms? Underneath my coach is a long rubber shield that hangs down I believe to separate the OTR and Cruise airs from the engine exhaust and gen. exhaust. This doesn't help if dry camped next to someone on your starboard side exhausting their gen. fumes toward you. Guess I've never have been in that particular situation.

On a Liberty your OTR does not bring in any outside air unless you removed the cover plate. It is a recirculating system. The risk is when whendows are open and the ceiling fans are on.

I think that the rubber dividers under a Liberty is to separate the heat from the generator cooling fan from the cruiseairs condensors.

sticks Guest

Thanks for the explanation of the rubber divider and OTR's. Does the cruiseairs bring in outside air from underneath the coach?

The Cruise Airs also recirculate inside air for cooling. The outside condensing units pull in outside air and then exhaust it, so the baffles separate the cooler incoming air from the heated air being exhausted.

The same holds true for the generator radiator whose baffle keeps hot exhaust air separated from the cooling air being pulled through the radiator.

Your coach as built does not bring in outside air for cooling or heating unless you are using the vents and have windows open.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Default Austin Texas campground recomendations

Going to Austin on Thursday (8/5) and would like to find a nice park in the Bee Cave area. It looks like La Hacienda may be the best. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Pete,

La Hacienda is your best bet. It is more out in the Hudson Bend area of Lakeway than Bee Cave, but is still your best local bet.

I live in Bee Cave, so shoot me a note on what your schedule is if you wish. Would love to drop by and shake your hand.