Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Algae In Fuel

I am unfamiliar with the type of algae that grows in hydrocarbon only environment. I am very familiar with the type that grows in a salt water and hydrocarbon environment because we deal with them in the oil field. Once we discover we have bacteria or algae growth, we flush everything in the flow loop with biocide (tanks, vessels, pumps, etc). In tough cases, we even have to have scale physically removed from the bottom of tanks so the biocide can reach all the algae hiding in the scale. It is tough stuff and once it gets a foothold, it hangs on.

This stuff that grows in diesel may not be as tenacious, but I am betting once you find it in your system, it is worth running biocide through everything.

Jack you are right what ever old fuel and algae is in the tank will generator new algae for the new fuel. I like an infection you got to get it all out and medicate it. Jon don't wait, TREAT.
    GregM

It's on my list of things to pick up on Monday.

Jon,

Here below is a good algae killer:

http://www.mwfi.com/Fuel-Additives/Bionical.html

Alek

Jon, One of the things I remember from the boating days on algae in diesel fuel tanks is water is the is the thing needed to grow it. We always added isopropyl alcohol to the fuel as that type will gather the water and dispense it. I'm told that is the only type used in piston type aircraft, not methanol as in brand "Heet". Maybe you could add that to your shopping list. And Xmas is coming for all of us. What a great gift !
    AL
    2005 Marathon XL II

I am due for fluids and filter change, and will check out the fuel filters for signs of varmits.

Was just looking at my records, and we have run 10,800 miles since March so I haven't let diesel sit around in there too long. Will be interesting to see if we have some. Should show up in the genset filter also if it is present.

Although we refer to it as algae, it really is not, as algae only grows in water which would in turn generate an even larger problem than black flakes of asphalt in ones filter. This is a major problem in the boating world in fact many marinas have equipment to "polish" the fuel which by all appearance are a series of pumps and filters that pull fuel from ones tank, filter it and return it....takes some time, not a quick process.

My guess is that Jon got a bad load of fuel. I have attached a lengthy article that pretty much explains it all, there is a caution on additives.

"Diesel fuel is a very complex mixture of thousands of individual compounds with carbon numbers between 9 and 23 (number of carbon atoms per hydrocarbon* molecule) Most of these compounds are members of the paraffinic, naphthenic or aromatic class of hydrocarbons (HC)*. These three classes have different chemical and physical properties. The different relative proportions of the three classes is one of the factors that make one diesel fuel different from another. It influences fuel properties and affects its performance. Up until about 15-20 years ago, refineries used only about 50% of a barrel of crude oil to make distillates such as gasoline, jet fuel and diesel. The remainder of the barrel of crude oil went to "residual oil". Today, as a result of different refining techniques and additive packages, the refinery uses 85% or more of the same barrel of crude, which clearly has consequences for fuel stability. More than 90% of the debris on filter elements and the sludge in our storage tanks is organic material, fuel and oil breakdown residue. In most cases, this debris is acidic and not good for your engine. It causes corrosion in injectors, pumps and storage tanks. The solids that form as the result of the inherent instability of the fuel and the natural process of degradation will accumulate in the bottom of your tank. The sludge will form a coating or bio-film on the walls and baffles of the tank, plug your filters and impact combustion efficiency. Eventually it will clog fuel lines and ruin your equipment.
    (*Hydrocarbons are organic compounds composed entirely of carbon and hydrogen divided in four major classes: paraffins, naphthenes, olefins, and aromatics. These classes share common structural features but differ in size, (number of carbon atoms per molecule) and/or geometry. While hydrogen and carbon are the predominant elements in crude oil, small amounts of sulfur, nitrogen and oxygen are also present and referred to as hetero-atoms (other-atoms). Compounds containing hetero-atoms are non-hydrocarbons. Typical non-hydrocarbons found in diesel are dibenzothiophene and carbazole, which play a large role in determining certain fuel properties. )
    Filter plugging can have several causes. For example, low temperatures can cause wax crystallization, which can lead to filter plugging. An example would be using summer diesel in cold weather. Wax or paraffin is part of the diesel fuel. Chemical incompatibility may cause dramatic filter plugging. This may happen when fuels with incompatible additive packages are mixed. Contaminant build up resulting from excessive microbial growth and bio-degradation of fuel can cause filter plugging. Micro-organisms, bacteria and enzyme activity, fungus, yeast and mold cause fuel degradation and the formation of waste products. The process is similar to milk turning into cottage cheese, a different form of milk. Of all the microbial debris and waste products in the tank only about .01% is bugs. Even though microbes may cause and accelerate the process of fuel degradation, it should be clear that the waste products clogging your filter are not the microbes but fuel components which have formed solids.
    Remember, algae are a life form found in water, similar to algae growing in an aquarium. However, for years, people have been referring to tank sludge and to the jelly, slime and other contaminants found in fuel filters as "algae". The colloquialism "diesel fuel algae" is widely used and understood. However, there is no relationship between the "algae" growing in your aquarium and the sludge "growing" (forming) in your fuel tank and showing up on your filter elements. There are three basic areas of concern in fuels and oil. They are: 1. water 2. in-organic debris (sand, dust, rust, etc.) and 3. organic debris (fuel breakdown products and waste products of fuel deterioration and re-polymerization). The organic debris represents more than 90% of all the contaminants found in fuels and oil. It is this organic debris, the sludgy, slimy, acidic material that people refer to as "diesel fuel algae". It could also be called polymer, tar or wax and asphalt!
    Frequently, the application of a biocide aggravates the situation and turns bio-film into solids, creating a real fuel filter nightmare. Bio film develops through out the entire fuel system. It grows in the water fuel interface and on the walls, baffles, and bottoms of storage tanks. An unlucky end user may be filling up his tank and getting this debris delivered as a part of his fuel, for the same price as the fuel. Poor thermal fuel stability can plug filters. Fuel will form particulates (solids) when exposed to pumps and the hot surfaces and pressure of the fuel injection system. This will result in an increase in asphaltene agglomerations, polymerization and a dramatic loss of combustion efficiency. Fuel systems, in general, are designed to return a significant proportion of the fuel, not used for combustion, back to the tank. This return fuel is very hot and will promote polymerization and fuel breakdown. Eventually, more and more solids from the tank will reach the filter and over time, plug the filter. These problems continuously occur in commercially operated engines, such as trucks, heavy equipment, shipping, and power generation, but will also appear in recreational boats, RV's and all types of fuel storage tanks. Truck engines are used continuously and, in most cases, the tanks "appear to be clean". However, a 2-micron filter element does not last very long, in general 15,000 miles or less. It should be 30,000 miles or more. In the marine industry 400 hours is in many instances SOP while filters should easily last 1000 hours or more. Short filter life is quite remarkable realizing how "thin" diesel fuel actually is and knowing how clean the tanks on most trucks "appear" to be. Short filter life is symptomatic of polymerization, increase in the size of the fuel droplet, agglomeration of asphaltenes and the formation solids in fuel systems. The consequences are carbon build up in engines and exhaust systems, higher fuel consumption and excessive smoke."

Just to be more explicit the debris found in my Racor sediment bowl and on the filter element was somewhat like a very fine Spanish Moss.

It was not black or flakes, but appeared to be fine strands of material, that when removed from the sediment bowl looked like a dark brown or black blob, but while in the sediment bowl had the mossy or hairlike appearance and a brown color.

On the filter it looked less like hair or moss, but appeared more like semi rotted leaves.

Since I change fuel filters every 5000 miles the accumulation on the 30 micron Racor primary filter was nowhere near the point at which fuel flow would have been compromised. I first noticed the debris in the amber Racor sediment bowl several thousands of miles ago and did not react because it has been tens of thousands of miles since the bowl has been drained, removed or cleaned. My first reaction upon seeing it was that it was a build up of crud over time and I had planned to clean the sediment bowl on this service cycle anyway. I cannot say the amount collected in the bowl was recent or over an extended time period, but since I do examine my filters I can say I have never previously detected visible material in the pleats of my filters.

I have run the generator a lot since the last service, and while it is not due for a service now those fuel filters are going to be changed and I will be carrying spare fuel filters for the coach and generator.

With the exception of adding 70 gallons of fuel at a busy Hess truck stop on the way to Maine, I have not taken on fuel anywhere else during this last maintenance cycle at any place other than the Pilot that is 3 miles from the house. Whether I got dirty fuel there or not I cannot speculate. They flow a lot of fuel and have recent filters on their pumps so my guess is the problem is not with a bad tank of fuel.

I don't know if this relates to the issue, but since the change in fuels a couple of years ago my mileage has definintely gone down. Although there are many variables that impact mileage such as wind, weight of toad, hills, speed, generator usage, etc. I have recorded every gallon of fuel pumped into the coach and if I ever get bored I will tally my fuel usage per mile over 12 month periods which should reflect reasonably accurately the impact of the change in sulfur content. I can even pull data relative to generator hours so some compensation can be made for generator usage. Maybe the truck stops are delivering debris as part of the fuel.

John ....excellant read on all the variables. My quick question would be is it a good idea to add isopropyl alcohol on occasion to the tank ? In looking at my site glass yesterday it was clear. That was part of the pre trip inspection on the diesel boats was that Racor filter to give you a heads up on the condition of your tank fuel. A look see after the fuel had settled as the water would be at the bottom and visible as a clear fluid.
    I think it is a must do in carrying a complete set of fuel filters as we travel. That will be the first thing to change when the engine quits. Buying them out on the road your not going to be paying the discount price.
    My last comment is to never...never ..never fuel when the tanker is dumping fuel into the storage tanks. Thats when all that junk is in suspension and sucked into the pump. Those filters that hang on the outside of the pump are not going to catch all the trash.
    AL
    2005 Marathon XLII

Question

Quote Originally Posted by flyu2there View Post
    Although we refer to it as algae, it really is not, as algae only grows in water which would in turn generate an even larger problem than black flakes of asphalt in ones filter. This is a major problem in the boating world in fact many marinas have equipment to "polish" the fuel which by all appearance are a series of pumps and filters that pull fuel from ones tank, filter it and return it....takes some time, not a quick process.

My guess is that Jon got a bad load of fuel. I have attached a lengthy article that pretty much explains it all, there is a caution on additives.

"Diesel fuel is a very complex mixture of thousands of individual compounds with carbon numbers between 9 and 23 (number of carbon atoms per hydrocarbon* molecule) Most of these compounds are members of the paraffinic, naphthenic or aromatic class of hydrocarbons (HC)*. These three classes have different chemical and physical properties. The different relative proportions of the three classes is one of the factors that make one diesel fuel different from another. It influences fuel properties and affects its performance. Up until about 15-20 years ago, refineries used only about 50% of a barrel of crude oil to make distillates such as gasoline, jet fuel and diesel. The remainder of the barrel of crude oil went to "residual oil". Today, as a result of different refining techniques and additive packages, the refinery uses 85% or more of the same barrel of crude, which clearly has consequences for fuel stability. More than 90% of the debris on filter elements and the sludge in our storage tanks is organic material, fuel and oil breakdown residue. In most cases, this debris is acidic and not good for your engine. It causes corrosion in injectors, pumps and storage tanks. The solids that form as the result of the inherent instability of the fuel and the natural process of degradation will accumulate in the bottom of your tank. The sludge will form a coating or bio-film on the walls and baffles of the tank, plug your filters and impact combustion efficiency. Eventually it will clog fuel lines and ruin your equipment.
    (*Hydrocarbons are organic compounds composed entirely of carbon and hydrogen divided in four major classes: paraffins, naphthenes, olefins, and aromatics. These classes share common structural features but differ in size, (number of carbon atoms per molecule) and/or geometry. While hydrogen and carbon are the predominant elements in crude oil, small amounts of sulfur, nitrogen and oxygen are also present and referred to as hetero-atoms (other-atoms). Compounds containing hetero-atoms are non-hydrocarbons. Typical non-hydrocarbons found in diesel are dibenzothiophene and carbazole, which play a large role in determining certain fuel properties. )
    Filter plugging can have several causes. For example, low temperatures can cause wax crystallization, which can lead to filter plugging. An example would be using summer diesel in cold weather. Wax or paraffin is part of the diesel fuel. Chemical incompatibility may cause dramatic filter plugging. This may happen when fuels with incompatible additive packages are mixed. Contaminant build up resulting from excessive microbial growth and bio-degradation of fuel can cause filter plugging. Micro-organisms, bacteria and enzyme activity, fungus, yeast and mold cause fuel degradation and the formation of waste products. The process is similar to milk turning into cottage cheese, a different form of milk. Of all the microbial debris and waste products in the tank only about .01% is bugs. Even though microbes may cause and accelerate the process of fuel degradation, it should be clear that the waste products clogging your filter are not the microbes but fuel components which have formed solids.
    Remember, algae are a life form found in water, similar to algae growing in an aquarium. However, for years, people have been referring to tank sludge and to the jelly, slime and other contaminants found in fuel filters as "algae". The colloquialism "diesel fuel algae" is widely used and understood. However, there is no relationship between the "algae" growing in your aquarium and the sludge "growing" (forming) in your fuel tank and showing up on your filter elements. There are three basic areas of concern in fuels and oil. They are: 1. water 2. in-organic debris (sand, dust, rust, etc.) and 3. organic debris (fuel breakdown products and waste products of fuel deterioration and re-polymerization). The organic debris represents more than 90% of all the contaminants found in fuels and oil. It is this organic debris, the sludgy, slimy, acidic material that people refer to as "diesel fuel algae". It could also be called polymer, tar or wax and asphalt!
    Frequently, the application of a biocide aggravates the situation and turns bio-film into solids, creating a real fuel filter nightmare. Bio film develops through out the entire fuel system. It grows in the water fuel interface and on the walls, baffles, and bottoms of storage tanks. An unlucky end user may be filling up his tank and getting this debris delivered as a part of his fuel, for the same price as the fuel. Poor thermal fuel stability can plug filters. Fuel will form particulates (solids) when exposed to pumps and the hot surfaces and pressure of the fuel injection system. This will result in an increase in asphaltene agglomerations, polymerization and a dramatic loss of combustion efficiency. Fuel systems, in general, are designed to return a significant proportion of the fuel, not used for combustion, back to the tank. This return fuel is very hot and will promote polymerization and fuel breakdown. Eventually, more and more solids from the tank will reach the filter and over time, plug the filter. These problems continuously occur in commercially operated engines, such as trucks, heavy equipment, shipping, and power generation, but will also appear in recreational boats, RV's and all types of fuel storage tanks. Truck engines are used continuously and, in most cases, the tanks "appear to be clean". However, a 2-micron filter element does not last very long, in general 15,000 miles or less. It should be 30,000 miles or more. In the marine industry 400 hours is in many instances SOP while filters should easily last 1000 hours or more. Short filter life is quite remarkable realizing how "thin" diesel fuel actually is and knowing how clean the tanks on most trucks "appear" to be. Short filter life is symptomatic of polymerization, increase in the size of the fuel droplet, agglomeration of asphaltenes and the formation solids in fuel systems. The consequences are carbon build up in engines and exhaust systems, higher fuel consumption and excessive smoke."
    John, there is an awful lot of information here causing overload for me! Did you wright the article? If so I have some questions, if you don't mind.

The article states what is going on and happening in the fuel system and to the storage tank and warns of the dangers of additives to the fuel for prevention of the situation, but it does not offer any suggestions for the cure or prevention of the situation once it has taken over ones vehicle for instance.

Preceding the article you mention fuel polishing, is that the only remedy you know of?

What methods are used in the aircraft environment to prevent the situation?

Do jets require their fuel system be cleaned out thoroughly every so many hours?

If this fuel contamination (algae) is such a wide spread problem do you have any idea why the fuel is not formulated to prevent algae and or keep it more under control?

JIM