Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buying a Pre-Owned Prevost

we here at coach worx welcome you to pog ,we are service only ,i welcome you to call me rick may 813 833 2284 ,i will help you with the questions of buying the right coach for you

This is an old thread, but I was intrigued by a question the OP put forth:

"I have found several coaches with rebuilt engines - some with as few miles as 88,000. Is this common for a DD engine and what is the average life (in miles) of a DD engine assuming it has been properly maintained?"

I've noticed the same thing, actually looked at a Prevost last summer 1981 which had the engine and trans replaced in 1996. I'm also looking a heavy duty trucks (like the big Peterbilt 379) with motorhome conversions and I see the same thing.

Does anyone have any insight and/or experience with early (less than 200,000 miles) engine/transmission replacement?

Thanks!

There were some problems with some DD engines in the 90's. Some were replaced under warrenty. From what I remember, Detroit never did send out a recall on the engines. Now, its not possible to get help on the repairs. There are some early threads on this issue.
    Having said all of this, there have been very few POG owners who have posted that they have had this issue.
    The issue with any engine will be how the previous owners maintained there engines during ownership. You have to keep up on the maintenence and the cooling of the engine.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by Dick in Wisconsin View Post
    This is an old thread, but I was intrigued by a question the OP put forth:

"I have found several coaches with rebuilt engines - some with as few miles as 88,000. Is this common for a DD engine and what is the average life (in miles) of a DD engine assuming it has been properly maintained?"

I've noticed the same thing, actually looked at a Prevost last summer 1981 which had the engine and trans replaced in 1996. I'm also looking a heavy duty trucks (like the big Peterbilt 379) with motorhome conversions and I see the same thing.

Does anyone have any insight and/or experience with early (less than 200,000 miles) engine/transmission replacement?

Thanks!
    With prices the way they are right now, there is really no reason to buy a coach that old. Buy one that has the Series60 motor and have no worries.
    Corey Grubb & George Prentice
    1999 H3-45 Vantare
    Will & Grace-fierce felines
    Cedar Hammock, FL.

The road goes on forever
    and the party never ends