Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Pre-Owned Prevost

Woodscraper. I recently traded in a 1989 Prevost Executive Coach Conversion to Mr Olivers RV in Texas. He has it listed on EBAY at $109,500. I owned this coach for 8 years. It was a one owner coach when I purchased it in excellent condition. I invested $75,000 to $80,000 in updates and maintenance to make it look like a 2000 model. Since I know this coach, I think he has it listed at a bargin price. Send me a PM if I can help with your search for the right bus.

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Woodscrapper,

First, welcome to the wacky and wonderful world of POG. Second, TRUK4U (Tom Chilcotte) had his Prevost for sale recently. You might just want to start with a call to Tom to see if he is still the owner. Tom really looked after his coach, doing some neat enhancements along the way. If you call him tell him I said, "Hey!"

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago when I started casually looking at buses, and then in serious shopping mode early last spring. I did a lot of study on this site, asking questions both on the forum and by email of some specific owners. Jenny and I then flew around the country looking at buses at the convertors (Marathon, Liberty, and Parliament), consignment dealers, and private party sales. Prior to the trip we made a list of what we thought was most important to us in terms of coach needs.

We ended up with a coach that fit all of our needs perfectly, was in great condition, was the exact model we were looking for (2000 conversion with OTR - last of the rivet coaches), but it needed some interior remodeling to fit our eye. In the end, the remodel still kept us in a very good price range, so we got the exact coach we wanted at what we feel was a very good value.

Now after passing the 20,000 mile mark, I am still a newbie, but have some observations to make. First and foremost, it is overwhelming at first regardless of who you buy from and what you buy. No matter how much you study, there is a steep learning curve. I don't mean that in a bad way either. Just make sure that the seller will be available to answer questions and help out for at least a few weeks. Not a warranty, just a willingness to help and provide guidance. I think all the convertors have demonstrated that willingness, and Steve Bennett at California Coach who I bought my bus from, still takes my calls! This site is also an exceptional resource as you can see.

We put several thousand miles on the bus before a few items of repair showed up. I truly believe this is a direct result of buying a coach that had not been sitting for years or used seldomly. It is counter intuitive since when we shop used cars, low mileage is a premium. Dealers even advertise low mileage buses. Prevost will tell you, the Entertainer Coach manufacturers on this site will tell you, essentially anyone that knows anything about these things will tell you as Jon says above they are made to be run (and he knows a helluva lot about them).

It sounds like Fred has had a tough go of it early on, but I am betting things smooth out pretty soon as he gets all the systems working and cycling more consistently. I know he bought from the right guy to be dealing with those type of issues. Soon enough, that 500 miles between mechanics will go up dramatically I am guessing. And Fred, drop a pair of mechanics type gloves under the front seat of your tow vehicle. When hooking up or unhooking, use those to keep the soot and road grime off your hands. As you have found, that stuff spreads like the plague when it gets on you.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Make it fun. Take Will's advice and check into the vaunted Green Machine. If it is still available, its provenance is outstanding and I bet it would be a sweet ride from the start.
    Last edited by GDeen; 07-28-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Sorry Fred - got it right now....

Gordon,

Thank you for your refreshing response. We plan to look at two coaches soon that are offered by fellow POG members. This will be our first look-see of the Prevost. We are looking forward to this journey.

Best Regards

I am not a H3 kind of guy but one on RVONLINE.COM looks real interesting price wise,1999 Vantari estate sale for $165,000 OBO.This coach is also on PrevostConversions.com for $265,000.If it really has been garaged and is in great shape and the price is negotiable this might be a very good buy with a series 60.

Default 2000 miles and counting

First of all, I should apologize for writing in a comical style. I have actually gotten much more than 500 miles between mechanics with my new coach. Mechanics have only touched it once and that was just a transmission oil change. The rest of the repairs I've done myself.

The point of my sarcasm was that if a new owner was not at least somewhat mechanically inclined that he or she would inevitably need frequent help from various types of handymen and mechanics. Fortunately, I'm a handyman and so I've not needed their physical help. The knowledge, however, is another thing and as we've all come to appreciate, POG is the place to get it.

Today, without warning, I heard a crash and looked over at the kitchen sink. One of those mirrored tiles simply fell off the wall and down onto the sink. This is the second time that it's happened. Luckily, there was no breakage. I'm going to try and glue it back using Liquid Nails. The humidity has been very high here and since we came out of a super-dry climate, there may be some expansion issues.

Never a dull moment,

Not Floyd but Fred

-fred

Fred,

I don't know of any way to predict when it will happen, but since we have the same vintage with the same type mirrors throughout I can tell you the mirrors will come loose. The vanity door mirror which is quite large came loose a couple of years ago and miraculously did not break. It appeared to have been secured with liquid nails which had hardened, so I used a combination of double faced foam tape and RTV silicone. So far so good.

Since I am a mirror manufacturer I have dealt with several adhesives,some work and others that will destroy the mirror over time.The worst is liquid nails because it has solvents in it that will attack the paint,the second on my worst list is silicone because it will actually pull the paint off the mirror over time,the best that most of us can find locally is double faced tape,I know that there are various adhesives on the tapes but in general they work very well.The absolute best is a product made by Gunther called Ultrabond,doubtful that any of us could find it locally but it will not attack a mirror.There are many other products out there that are designed for mirrors that will work very well and will not cause failure,I suggest that your local glass shop will have one that they have used successfully for years.

Fred

Sorry for screwing up your name. You might note I wrote Fred first and then went back and changed it to Floyd after looking at your handle. Got it right now, and I like your humor by the way.
    Last edited by GDeen; 07-28-2010 at 07:19 PM.

sticks Guest

While you're looking, call Gary at Liberty ( Prevost conversion company) 772-349-7019. Tell him Sticks ( Bob Brown ) told you to call and after he raises the price 10% for just telling him that he will take good care of you. Seriously they're customer service is second to none , they go through their used coaches real well, and yes they're a little more money but worth it. "You only go around once".