Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Pre-Owned Prevost

Hello Sandy,

Regarding the 97', could you provide: photos? Mileage? Generator hours? Tire manufacturer and last four digits of tire number? Type and model of engine and transmission? Thank you for providing this information.

Tom

Hello Garyde,

Thank you for your response. The tip regarding driving skills is well received - have not thought of this. Once we get a coach, plans are to join FMCA.

Best Regards,
    Woodscrapper

Quote Originally Posted by Woodscrapper View Post
    Gary,

Thanks very much for your insight. Practically everything I have brought used has turned out to be a disappointment. So, I totally
    agree with your "moral." Never-the-less, buying a new coach is out of the question for me. I am looking at buying either a pre-owned Prevost, Foretravel, or Country Coach because of their chassis construction and reputation for quality.

Best Regards
    Woodscrapper,

You certainly are looking at apples and oranges. When you compare the CC and the Foretravel you are comparing similar products. A Prevost is not comparable to the vehicles designed exclusively as a motorhome. As a bus chassis that has been converted it is an assemblage of two products, the chassis made by Prevost using the same standards as motorcoaches designed for durability and millions of miles of service in commercial use, and a house built into that chassis by a converter.

For your quest you need to set a budget and with that in mind start seeing what is available. For value for the dollar nothing compares to a good used Prevost conversion. It will still be running when a lot of purpose built motorhomes are in the scrap yard.

But like anything there are good coaches out there and there are some not so good. The key to success involves some homework on your part. That homework should include a serious look at what you need based on how you intend to use your coach, a decision if you are a "keeper" or if you trade often, the types of systems you want, and a list of important things to you such as floor plan, type (XL, XLII, H3), engine (Series 60 or 8V92), length (40, 41, or 45) converter (if you have a preference), etc.

You need to consider your ability to maintain a coach. If you like to do mechanical work and are capable, a coach with little or no history may be a good deal. If you are uncomfortable with the whole concept of maintaining a coach then focus solely on one with a proven and documented progressive service history. If you live with easy access to service facilities and have the pockets with sufficient depth to make use of those facilities, you may wish to be a risk taker and look for the cheapest possible price. If you wish to avoid the potentially huge expenses in restoring an underloved coach make price the second consideration and look instead for impeccible maintenance history. Even then you will be spending some money so make sure your budget reflects the hidden or unknown problems.

Have fun.

Default Welcome to the Prevost Experience

Welcome Woodscrapper,

I was also in your shoes a couple of months ago and today I'm 1 month into a 3 month tour in my "new" coach. I bought mine from Steve Bennet at California Coach and can't say enough good about him. He's is about the best person I could ever recommend to buy a coach from, period. His support, both before and after the sale, have been phenomenal and trust us when we tell you, you're going to need some.

Also, joining POG is also the best thing you've done as well. The collective knowledge here is unmatched in the Prevost community (okay, so I'm sucking up a bit... :-)

My coach is a 1997 Liberty. It has just over 100,000 miles on it and the engine runs as strong as when it was new. I have proof of that by virtue of a computer readout that shows engine RPM, Torque, Horsepower, fuel flow, everything. And, it doesn't leak a drop of oil. It's one great driving machine that is perfectly at home going down the highway. A Prevost is like the BMW of coaches, as far as I'm concerned.

I've never owned a bus before and although I have had some big rig experience in the past, nothing really prepared me for this ride. It was all learn-as-you-go, and by-the-seat-of-the-pants (with a lot of help from POG and Steve) that has gotten me down my first 2,000 miles of highway. Some things, however, you have to learn yourself, like, how to make wide turns and how to judge whether a given parking lot is big enough for you to turn around in. You get really good at this when you're towing a vehicle because in that case, there is no backing up.

There is a whole heck of a lot more to think about when operating a Prevost. It's not like a pickup truck where you just sit down in, buckle up and turn the ignition key. There is a checklist of things that you have to be aware of at all times. There are systems, systems, and more systems to learn. Some of them don't make any sense and most coaches have no "operations manual". In my case, the manufacturer has been very good at answering the phone and taking my questions, even though this coach rolled out of their shop 13 years ago. Kudos to Liberty!

Are you confident with basic hand tools? Good, because you're going to need them. Otherwise, plan on never driving more than 500 miles between repair shops of all kinds. Your coach will need electrical work, cabinet work, door hinges, window shades, latches, plumbing, batteries, tires, oil, and diesel. You probably won't need any engine work. You can forget all those if you like and just remember the 4 things that keep a Prevost running: $10's, $20's, $50's, and $100's.

I highly recommend getting a box of disposable rag terry cloths to wipe your hands on because every time you go outside your coach, you will get your hands dirty. Unhooking the toad is fraught with the danger of getting oily black soot on your hands, clothes, and shoes. Track that back into the coach and be prepared for the fallout! There is no avoiding dirt on the outside of the coach.

When I was searching for coaches, I had my pick of this one, a 1997, and one that was 5 years newer and cost two times as much. After my first month on the road, I'm completely certain that I picked the right one and saved a bundle of money by buying the older, cheaper coach because I probably would have had the same or similar problems with a newer one. Both coaches had the same ride going down the road, and both were awesome in their own right.

The most difficult part of owning the coach so far is the steep learning curve and the inevitable disappointment that comes when things don't work like they are supposed to. It takes a certain amount of faith in knowing that you WILL sort out the problems and soon, real soon, everything will be "normal", more or less. At least that's what I'm telling my wife, who swears that we bought a lemon. Lightning shot out of her eyes last night when the hot water ran cold while she was in the shower. There had been some electrical problems earlier and the heater had not been turned on for a while - oops. In addition, the toilet wasn't working correctly and let me tell you, nothing makes life more miserable in a coach than a malfunctioning commode. Second on the list is poor A/C.

Today, at least the toilet is fixed. The electrical problems stem from a campground whose 50 Amp breakers keep blowing when I try and run more than half my equipment. Of course, the campground owner thinks it's my fault because other (non-bus) coaches don't trip it. He doesn't seem to appreciate that this is the first such easy-blow breaker system that I've hooked up to since my trip started a month ago. Fortunately, we're in Minnesota and we can survive on 1/2 AC availability as there is no point in arguing with the campground owner.

Good luck on your search. Be sure and look at a lot of coaches. You'll need to really understand them before you throw down the big bucks. Know that you're buying a house on wheels, and not just a vehicle. Like any house, this one needs a fair amount of upkeep and maintenance and you'll be happy that most have a nice slide-out toolbox for a reason.

Finally, make sure that your co-pilot has a camera ready when you drive it off the lot. There will be a big smile on your face that won't wipe off for quite a while, and you'll want to have a picture of it.

-fred
    Last edited by flloyd; 07-26-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Don't let Fred scare you. I know he is part tongue in cheek, but there is some truth to what he says. All of us owners initially end up tweaking our coaches, finding stuff to repair and in the end we get to know our coach very well and recognize that any house going down the road is being shaken apart and needs occasional TLC.

But the reality is that these homes on wheels are truly very reliable.

Woodscrapper,

I don't agree with Fred's assessment that you can't get beyond 500 miles of repair shops. If you buy a bus that has set around for a bunch of years, you will have problems. Buy one that is run on a regular basis and properly maintained and you will have a good experience. The cheapest price is not always the best deal. Do your homework and ask lots of questions on this forum, the knowledge here is endless.

Hello Fred,

I enjoyed reading your message and know exactly what you mean regarding up-keep and maintenance. Fortunately, I guess, I am blessed with basic skills in plumbing, electrical, cabinetry (wood working is my primary hobby), mechanical repairs, and an innate ability to ferret out problems. I despise plumbing and electrical work though. My wife is a nutritionist and is very handy with interior design, decorating, and sewing so we make a pretty good team in managing and maintaining our properties. I admit I am a perfectionist and this drives my bride crazy so we do have our spats at times but love conquers all and I loose a few battles. Thanks again for your input and advise. We love Minnesota - especially Duluth and north into Canada along Lake Superior. Beautiful country! Happy trails!

Woodscrapper

Fred said:

"I've never owned a bus before and although I have had some big rig experience in the past, nothing really prepared me for this ride. It was all learn-as-you-go, and by-the-seat-of-the-pants (with a lot of help from POG and Steve) that has gotten me down my first 2,000 miles of highway. Some things, however, you have to learn yourself, like, how to make wide turns and how to judge whether a given parking lot is big enough for you to turn around in. You get really good at this when you're towing a vehicle because in that case, there is no backing up.

There is a whole heck of a lot more to think about when operating a Prevost. It's not like a pickup truck where you just sit down in, buckle up and turn the ignition key. There is a checklist of things that you have to be aware of at all times. There are systems, systems, and more systems to learn. Some of them don't make any sense and most coaches have no "operations manual". In my case, the manufacturer has been very good at answering the phone and taking my questions, even though this coach rolled out of their shop 13 years ago. Kudos to Liberty!"

Perhaps the hardest thing for a new owner to deal with is stepping away from the purchase process and looking at these coaches as complex systems that require not only a good inspection while in buying mode, but being assured that after the sale and during the whole process this is a learning experience that cannot be avoided. A lot of owners just want to know where the ignition key is. They or the people that end up buying their coach soom regret that method of operating. Few of us on this forum, regardless of how much experience we have know everything about our coaches so it is important to get as much knowledge as possible. And please, with all due respect to those selling coaches, that knowledge needs to come from the converter or someone who knows the particular conversion intimately.

Jon,

You offer good advise which I appreciate. I know the Prevost out ranks the Foretravel and Country Coach in terms of structural integrity and durability, quality of construction, appointments, etc. We have set a budget figure, have a basic feel for a desirable floor plan and needed systems, and have started development of a checklist to follow when we view postings/ads and go for a first hand inspection of selected coaches. When I mentioned these three I did so in the order of preference which is based on user ratings and rankings. While the selling price is important, a well maintained coach (which is supported by records and history reports, inspections (even if I have to pay someone qualified), and my gut feel) is my first priority . Thanks to you and others I am gaining knowledge as to what to look for in any coach I buy.

When I started on this adventure, it did not take long to realize that I wanted a coach with a monocoque structure because of safety concerns. Many of the motorhomes today do not provide sufficient protection to the driver and passengers in the event of a head-on collision. A bus type construction is no panacea but it does afford more protection and improves one's chances of survival. I am now trying to ferret out the best or most desirable choices for heating, AC , supplemental power ( i.e. generators), converters, water heaters, etc.. Any help in making these choices would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input.

Woodscrapper

Woodscrapper, I'll save you some time and point you in the right direction. The posts that are sure to follow should be considered as background noise.

There is nothing available from any converter that can keep you more comfortable than OTR while driving down the road. That alone will eliminate almost every converter except Liberty. On occasion you will run across and OTR coach converted by other than Liberty, but they are rare. It has so much capacity that the hottest days in the southwest or the coldest ones in Minnesota will not make it difficult for you to remain comfortable. There may be other systems that are capable, but they may require you use not only the driver's air or heat, but you may have to run a generator while trying to cool the whole coach.

As far as generators are concerned I have never in 20 years heard any owner say their generator was inadequate for their needs. The brand of generator and the output rating is likely unimportant unless you have some specific needs beyond running all the coach systems at once. I have had 12.5 KW and 20 KW generators and the 12.5 was more than adequate. The 20 KW is overkill unless I want to run all four Cruise Airs, the Jenn Air BBQ, the stove, the HW heater, the toe space heaters, and the dryer as well as attempting to charge fully depleted house batteries. Not likely.

As to concerns about individual components such as water heaters, unless something is wrong such as a failed electric element I have not heard anyone complain about inadequate capacity.

The bulk of negative comments is clearly associated with cooling. If you need to prioritize your wish list research the posts on this forum and sort out what you need for heating and cooling. Those comments far exceed the number of comments about plumbing or electrical systems. If I were to guess satellite and entertainment systems such as HDTV come next, but those are easily changed. Changing AC or heating systems is likely not practical. On that you have to be right.

Other things to consider are IFS, which lately has gotten a black eye due to failed bushings, but allows a tighter turn radius. Consider long range fuel a real plus. Try to get a coach with decor and paint you like and in good condition. It is amazing how much you can spend refreshing the decor, and a quality paint job will equal the cost of a very expensive car. Forget low miles. A frequently used coach with good maintenance records will provide greater reliability than a low mileage coach that has spent its life sitting. These coaches were designed to run long and often. Sitting will create a shopping list of issues including hub seals, shortened tire life, and potential internal engine corrosion.