Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a Pre-Owned Prevost

Default Buying a Pre-Owned Prevost

Hello to all,
    I just joined POG because my wife and I are interested in buying a pre-owned motor coach and have interest in a Prevost. Needless to say it is confusing to select what one believes to be a quality coach and one that will provide reliable service at a reasonable cost. With regard to a Prevost, I have the following questions that I hope POG members might answer and provide some much needed, appreciated help.

I have found several coaches with rebuilt engines - some with as few miles as 88,000. Is this common for a DD engine and what is the average life (in miles) of a DD engine assuming it has been properly maintained?

How much importance should be placed on mileage when considering a coach?

Where does one find "book values" for the Prevost? NADA does not provide such.

Aside from price, what are the most important factors to consider in evaluating and buying a pre-owned coach? Should one insist on a PDI? Most common problems occurring on a Prevost?

I know ownership costs can vary widely, but on average what can one expect annual maintenance costs to be?

Since I have never driven a motor coach but have towed travel trailers for some 40 years, where can one find help to learn to drive a behemoth safely? Must dealers have offered helping us out the gate!

Which is best, dealing with a dealer or individual?

Many thanks for all the help provided.

Woodscrapper
    ]

Welcome to POG Woodscrapper. A lot of good and relevant questions.

The Detroit Engine is a very reliable engine and with proper care should last many hundreds of thousands of miles without a rebuild with some exceptions.
    Mileage on a coach is not as improtant as its maintenace and upkeep history.
    The only way to determine fair market value on Prevost Conversions is to learn more abot the market and the different Converters.
    PDI is very important for a buyer; Engine, Transmission , suspension, Air systems, Electrical Systems, Batteries, Tires, Generator, Water system, A/C system, Heat system, Waste systems and so on.
    Annual maintenace costs will vary depending on age , amount of use intended, upgrades, replacement of worn out parts. This goes back to PDI as well.
    Driving Skills; At Rallys and FMCA Conventions they offer driver seminars.
    Either Dealers or individuals have its own merits, advantage, and draw backs.
    Last edited by garyde; 07-25-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Welcome to POG, I would recommend you take a drive down to Costa Mesa and talk to Steve Bennett owner of California Coach Company 3030 Pullman St. Ste. B,
    Costa Mesa, CA 92626, Toll Free - (800) 460-7989. Steve is a POG member and very knowledgeable on Prevost's. You won't find a more honest straightforward dealer than Steve.

Hello Elliott,

Thanks for your recommendation and I wished I could drive down and talk with Mr. Bennett but I live in Tennessee. I will give him a call though.

Woodscrapper

Woodscrapper,

The questions you ask are all the one's we have all asked about and been thru in our decision to buy a Prevost. It might help get you some better answers if you could narrow down the approximate year of conversion and possibly if you have a particular convertor in mind. There are some basic differences that could possibly change the answers to your questions such as 8V92 vs. S-60 engine, straight front axle vs. IFS, XL (rivet coach) vs. newer XLII (non rivet coach), XL vs. H3, Slide vs. non slide. Well you should get the idea anyway.
    In the most basic round numbers I use 5K a year for projected needed maintenance and upgrades. Some years it is more, some years a little less. And there is a lot of discretionary spending for upgrades of things like satellite dishes, TV's, stereo upgrades, etc. Some things you have to spend money on, Tires over 6 or 7 years old HAVE to be replaced, house and chassis batteries can get expensive, new air bags and shocks for older coaches (over 10 years old or since last replacement). Most people agree that an 8V92 gets about 6 to 6.5 MPG and a S-60 gets about 1 MPG more.

BUT, when it is all said and done, it is worth it. Nothing drives or rides like a Prevost. Good luck on your search and welcome to the group.

Welcome to POG, Woodscrapper! A little hint here. We have our 97 royale 40 ft no slides and completely remodeld with neutral colors inside. Maintained well and service records in hand. All oil & transmission fluids checked with analysis each change. One of the most beautiful exterior colored buses you will see. We just need to sell it due to -- Ed had to have a 45 ft! I stll love that bus and wish we weren't selling it! She is simple and open space.
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Woodscrapper:

Another hint. I have 2001 Liberty, 45 ft in perfect condition that needs a new home. I do mean perfect. Call for details 940-663-2900.

Thanks

Woodscrapper,

I live in Knoxville. Where in TN are you. Maybe we can get together.

Default walk softly and carry a big inspection while shopping for a prevost

Welcome to the POG,

I was in your very shoes about six months ago. I wanted a prevost in the worst way after owning several glass coaches. We looked long and hard and found just what we were looking for at a price we could afford. The thing is I checked this Prevost front to back and still ended up getting a bus that needed a major repair. The bus drove perfect and every mechanic that looked at it said they couldn't believe how nice it was kept. after a couple of days of crawling all over it and even spending a night dry camping in it, The only items I found in my prepurchase inspection was the front sway bar busihings, the transmission was leaking from the front seal nad the autofill was not working. The maintenance records were all there, so I thought and all looked very good. Five months after buying it, I took it to Nashville Prevost to have the swaybar busings and tranny leak fixed and ended up replacing the transmission! From what I can tell someone had removed the tranny and didn't assemble it right so it was filled with metal fillings. A tranny fluid analysis would have caught the problem so I would suggest fluid ananlysis before purchase. Moral to the story, buying used is always a crap shoot.

I can tell you the coach I left is a 2008 HR Navigator 45 foot quadslide completely customized inside and out for fulltiming. It is out at Steve Bennet's showrooms and he will tell you it's the cleanest used coach he ever had. It's for sale at the wholesale price! If you give up on prevost and I'm not suggesting you do in any way, make sure to go see my Navigator, it's the cleanest and nicest we could find in the glass coach industry.
    Last edited by GSwaim; 07-26-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Gary,

Thanks very much for your insight. Practically everything I have brought used has turned out to be a disappointment. So, I totally
    agree with your "moral." Never-the-less, buying a new coach is out of the question for me. I am looking at buying either a pre-owned Prevost, Foretravel, or Country Coach because of their chassis construction and reputation for quality.

Best Regards