Thread: Buying a Pre-Owned Prevost

Hybrid View

Fred,

I don't know of any way to predict when it will happen, but since we have the same vintage with the same type mirrors throughout I can tell you the mirrors will come loose. The vanity door mirror which is quite large came loose a couple of years ago and miraculously did not break. It appeared to have been secured with liquid nails which had hardened, so I used a combination of double faced foam tape and RTV silicone. So far so good.

Since I am a mirror manufacturer I have dealt with several adhesives,some work and others that will destroy the mirror over time.The worst is liquid nails because it has solvents in it that will attack the paint,the second on my worst list is silicone because it will actually pull the paint off the mirror over time,the best that most of us can find locally is double faced tape,I know that there are various adhesives on the tapes but in general they work very well.The absolute best is a product made by Gunther called Ultrabond,doubtful that any of us could find it locally but it will not attack a mirror.There are many other products out there that are designed for mirrors that will work very well and will not cause failure,I suggest that your local glass shop will have one that they have used successfully for years.

Fred

Sorry for screwing up your name. You might note I wrote Fred first and then went back and changed it to Floyd after looking at your handle. Got it right now, and I like your humor by the way.
    Last edited by GDeen; 07-28-2010 at 07:19 PM.