Thread: Maneuverability - 40 vs 45 feet

Default Maneuverability - 40 vs 45 feet

I have always owned class C motorhomes - mainly because they are so easy to maneuver that you can go almost anywhere a car can go.

But, I have always wanted a Prevost and have decided to take the plunge, but would prefer a 40 foot coach if it was easier to get around in.

How much difference is there, in terms of maneuverability and where you can go, between a 40 and a 45 foot coach?

For example, is the 40 significantly easier to park when stopping for lunch at a restaurant? Are more campgrounds accessible?

I would appreciate some thoughts from those that have traveled in a Prevost.

Thanks

I don't know about the 40 foot, but with the 45 footers you have to pick your stops. You get used to it after a while knowing where to stop and where to park. In my previous class A coaches , a 38 and a 42 footer,I could park inmost large parking lots or on the side curb of roads. The 45 footers you will have to watch out for curbs, islands, poles etc. a little more.
    With State and Federal Parks the 40 footers will have an easier time, it all depends on where you want to go I guess.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

IRH:
    As Gary stated you have to think ahead before selecting a shutdown area. If narrow windey roads are involved the 40Ft. allows some advantage. Neither 40 or 45 footers bend in the middle. My 45 footer has a shorter turning radius than the straight axel 40ftr. When you consider going from a class C to any larger class A you have to decide your future uses. If it's State Parks and small campgrounds in the woods a longer class A will be very restricted. If you are looking for a luxury over the highway super comfortable ride, larger room inside and dependability you cannot beat the Prevost. As far as driving between a 40 or 45 footer you probably won't be able to tell the difference on the highway
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

sticks Guest

I agree that driving a 40 vs 45 footer is not a deal breaker going down the road or in many RV parks. The main limiter in deciding where to stop for lunch or dry camping is the toad in the back.YOU CAN"T BACK UP. Driving 45 foot class A's is still easier than pulling 48 ft living quarter horse trailers with a semi. Disconnect the toad and I feel like I'm driving a suburban ( well almost ). BUT, not pulling a toad severely restricts your vacation experience.

I'll chime in on this since I have a 40 but have spent a fair amount of time in a 45. On the road you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Turning radius is less with the 45 but again, it's not that much of an issue. The only thing that would limit you, as mentioned earlier, is most Corp of Engineer parks and a lot of state parks restrict over 40 feet.
    If I was to do it over again I would buy a 45.

it is about life style,i,ve seen c,s that you turned to short you would knock people off the sidewalk with the over hang ,what year are you looking for,it,s not only 40/45 any prevost will out preform a fiberglass equal insize in fax ,most know you can put a 45 prevost where there 40 won,t go,but that,s one dimension,the year will dictate the height and weight of the unit,the conversion will tell you the power usage and dry camping availibilty,so if you go to a remote part of a say ,state park or field you don,t sink (with the extra weight)or you hit tree(because your taller)and when you only have 30 amp and no sewer dump,how well or long can you stay,ben and i we,re involved in building many 40,s and 45,s,the 40 is like putting a size 12 shoe in a size 10 box no body wants to give up any thing,you are in the right place for your quest on pog anything i can answer fell free to contact me .rick 813 833 2284

I will probably be in the minority here. I've had 40ft solid axle, 40ft IFS and now a 45ft. I love the extra space in the 45ft coach, king size bed etc, however, it is definitely a bit harder to maneuver and park the 45 foot coach. Not a lot, but it does take being a bit more careful.

As mentioned before, even with a 40 ft coach, your options are limited in terms of some national parks, etc. Even a lot of RV parks are questionable, even if they say they support "big rigs".

I do love my 45 foot coach, but if I could have gotten a 40, I would have. In CA, anything over 40 requires a class B license, so check where you live for licensing requirements.

Ray

I go for the 45' had a plastic coach it was 45' Our h3-45 is a super ride although we only have queen bed but lots of closet space 3 full size you think they have cloths in them wrong! sewing machines quilt material a sweat shop on wheels if my wife reads this I am dead!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael View Post
    I go for the 45' had a plastic coach it was 45' Our h3-45 is a super ride although we only have queen bed but lots of closet space 3 full size you think they have cloths in them wrong! sewing machines quilt material a sweat shop on wheels if my wife reads this I am dead!
    Thanks for the ammunition Gary, this sort of thing gets saved for future use

JIM

One other consideration, at least here in California, is the 65' overall length limit including trailer or toad. With my 40' coach I can still be legal with a trailer 25' long including tongue, which generally equates to about a 21' box trailer, big enough for a full-size car or lots of motorcycles. Or both. Damn, I need a bigger trailer!

Cheers,

Jay