Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alaska By Air

Hi Jerry. And I thought Glaciers were extinct!
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jerry great photos and from a unique perspective.

Jerry you got guts to do this trip in a single.

Jack,

Review the statistics relating to piston singles versus piston twins and then report back on the relative safety of one versus the other when there is an engine problem.

And when reviewing the numbers keep in mind the likelyhood of an engine problem in a twin compared to a single is not twice as great as we smart alecks would suggest, but is approximately 4 times greater probably due to increased complexity, and more difficult fuel management.

I think multi engine planes are great when flown by two person professional crews. Not so great when flown by single pilots who are not professional.

BTW I shot from the lip when I threw out the numbers above because I think I read them in the past, but am too lazy to verify them. If I am wrong I will accompany you to the woodshed without complaint.

I don't remember all of the numbers either but I have flown in the rockies with a anemic single(Malibu) and also with a P-Baron,I can tell you that I was much more comfortable in the Baron even though it might be false security.I have flown commercial to Anchorage and I only remember seeing white mountain along the route.

Apples and oranges. A Malibu with two people and full fuel is at gross unless all occupants are jockeys.

A P-Baron has much more available HP, and especially in the climb it will make the Malibu seem anemic. Over the Rockies as much as I am not a believer in a twin I would feel a whole lot more comfortable in the P-Baron and the margins is provides. The reality is if I had to spend a lot of time over terrain not suitable for a landing I would feel most comfotable in a turbo-prop or jet, single or multi.

I am Jealous. Between Jerry and Tuga and Louise I don't know who to be most envious of...........Like Pete said, you guys are living my dream.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Jerry,those colors on that plane look like OSU to me , am I right?

Gary,

Don't mistake JDUB's new paint job for some Okie college related theme. He is a really big fan of Halloween hence the black and Jackolantern orange which matches the Great Pumpkin Scout. Although on the OSU thought, I wonder if the paint makes the plane a little more "poke-y"?

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

I read the following book a couple of years ago. For a non pilot who loves the outdoors, it is a great read. I suspect for you pilots particularly with Alaskan flying experience, it would be sensational. First flying game warden in Alaskan history and his stories of dropping in on frozen rivers and herds of caribou in a white out blizzard are amazing.

It occurred to me that his plane would have to have a minimal horsepower threshold just to carry around his huevos given some of the stuff he got into and lived to tell about.

Alaskan Tales of a Legendary Wildlife Agent and Bush Pilot (Alaska History) Sam O. White
    Rearden, Jim; with a foreword by Richard Wien

Book Description: MT: Pictorial Histories Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Soft Cover. Book Condition: New. 1st Edition. Brand New. Stated First Printing. Sam O. White was a tough, deep voiced, six-foot tall, two hundred pound former Marine, lumberjack and guide. From 1922, for half a century he crisscrossed wild Alaska by foot, with pack horses, dog teams, canoe, riverboat and airplane. He helped map the Territory. He trapped fur. He became the worlds first flying game warden. White wrote exciting tales about his Alaska adventures. Those writings make up the bulk of this volume. 410 pgs, 77 photos, maps, Soft Cover.