Thread: PowerTech Generator Service?

Ben Guest

Default PowerTech Generator Service?

Does anyone know of a place that can look at my PowerTech generator. It shuts down after running about 60 seconds... the field breaker on the back of the generator trips, which causes the radiator fan to stop running and then Libery's watchdog indicates it shut down due to overheating.

I called powertech and they only have people in Southern California... I between Sacramento and San Francisco and was planning to head North instead of South.

Default Generator

Try Cummins . They have MotorCoach Service Centers. Sacramento West, 875 Riverside Parkway, West Sacramento. 916-371-0630
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Ben,

Having just gone through many months of overheat shutdowns and numerous calls to both Bill and Troy at Liberty, it is my understanding that if the overheat light is coming on after only 60 seconds you probably have an intermitent wire connection or a bad heat sensor. I was assured that the ONLY input to the overheat light is the heat sensor at the rear of the engine block. It's true that a fan shutdown will also cause a shutdown but it should not cause the overheat light to come on if the gen has only been running for a minute. The field trip part of the mystery further complicates the problem. Powertech in Florida is not familiar with the Battery Watchdog and Liberty will not share wiring diagrams. Liberty did however in my case, patiently walk me through a troubleshooting routine which took several months. Good luck

BrianE
    94Liberty XL

Ben, There is a procedure for removing the watchdog from the generator circuit. I don't know how it is documented in your coach, but on mine there are placards which define the procedure. You will end up with it disconnected via the ribbon strip.

Once the watchdog is disconnected all automatic shutdown features are disabled, but it allows any competent generator repair facilty to service the unit. By your post it sounds as though you have something causing the circuit breaker on the generator portion to trip, and that should be an easy diagnosis by a generator service.

If your generator is not producing 120/240V because of the tripping CB, the radiator fan will not function as you note, and the motor on the generator will overheat with the watchdog disconnected.