Thread: Gulf Coast

Default Gulf Coast

I know that there are a few "Pogs" who live close to the Gulf Coast. While watching Fox News this AM one of there correspondents did a segment on the Beaches at Gulf Shores, AL being virtually deserted but yet, few if any evidence of contamination or problems from the Oil Spill , other than the fact that due to all the News, people have shied away from there beautiful area, thus causing more problems. Soooooo with that thought, perhaps a Mini Rally of sorts could be thought out to show support and of course provide a mid summer break for many Poggers? I spent several years in that area while in the USAF and fondly remember the beaches and "Venues" that dot the coast. We passed through there about 1 yr ago and enjoyed it, thinking a future visit possible. Just a thought.

The media has just about destroyed the tourism here in the Gulf coast area. I'm in Mobile, AL working for a catastrophe response company adjusting claims for BP. In general, it is still a great place to visit. There are some beaches impacted by the oil spill, but by and large, you can still use most beaches without problems. Rentals are cheap and plentiful. Restaurants NEVER have a wait. Unfortunately, I never have the time to enjoy any of it.

Rahangman: Thanks for your post. I have wanted an opportunity to post about a very nice POG member we met in Mobile and yes we should plan a gathering of some sort in the Gulf area- like you and others, it is one of my favorite destinations.

While gathered at Oysterfest 2010 in Mobile (I think Feb) we had the opportunity to meet and visit with fellow POG member Mr. Graham of Graham Shrimp Packing (I hope I got all the names right) who was kind enough to come by Shady Acres Campground twice and brought each of us in attendance a 5 lbs. box of very fine Gulf Shrimp. Very kind and generous gesture- typical of POG hospitality.

He stated he is not a poster but a lurker - so we don't get to hear from him, but I have thought of him often, very often since that visit and the Gulf Oil Debacle. I hope he is able to survive somehow - he would strike you as an individual who has been through a few trials before and ultimately coming out on top of his game.

Good luck Mr. Graham I/we wish you the best.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

We live in the Pensacola area, and the beaches are clear most of the time, but you never know from one day to the next where it is going to strike. We also have a small house on East Bay (close to Navarre), and so far, no oil has reached the beaches in that area. We are currently in North Carolina, but every time we hear the news, the media makes everything seem even worse than what it actually is. I am afraid many businesses will not survive this catastrophe because of the media hype. I am also aware of the fact that we will be seeing the results of this spill for years to come.
    Last edited by dale farley; 07-15-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Thumbs up Bella Terra for POG Gulf Coast Mini-Rally!

Quote Originally Posted by rahangman View Post
    I know that there are a few "Pogs" who live close to the Gulf Coast. While watching Fox News this AM one of there correspondents did a segment on the Beaches at Gulf Shores, AL being virtually deserted but yet, few if any evidence of contamination or problems from the Oil Spill , other than the fact that due to all the News, people have shied away from there beautiful area, thus causing more problems. Soooooo with that thought, perhaps a Mini Rally of sorts could be thought out to show support and of course provide a mid summer break for many Poggers? I spent several years in that area while in the USAF and fondly remember the beaches and "Venues" that dot the coast. We passed through there about 1 yr ago and enjoyed it, thinking a future visit possible. Just a thought.
    hangman - we like your idea of a POG mini-rally on the gulf coast! There are lots of volunteer opportunities now that POGers could participate in, if they so chose, and make important contributions to the clean up/recovery effort! If someone were to organize such a rally, I would enthusiastically recpmmend Bella Terra Luxury RV Resort in Foley, AL. The facilities are top notch (the top rated RV campground by Woodall's), the amenities are incredible, and the Bella Terra staff are wonderful! In fact, Vita and I are seriously considering another visit to Bella Terra for the long Labor Day weekend!

RoadRunner: Boy, shiver me timbers, East Bay, as I remember, when stationed at Eglin,AFB in late 60's (ouch), and working as an Oyster Shucker/Waiter at the old Sand Flea restaruant, we sometimes had to make a run to East Bay to get a couple extra sacks of East Bay oysters, possibly the best oyster the good Lord ever made. We also had Appalachias also but the house favorite was clear, East Bay. Lucky you. Hope they are still abundant

Rodger, There are still some oysters in East Bay but not like there used to be. Everyone around there remembers the old days when you could catch tons of oysters and tubs of crabs. Not so any longer. But its still a nice quite place to be on the water.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I am not meaning to inject thread creep here but anyone know what's up with Thad? One day he is standing there at the briefing looking all in the world like the lead doorman at the Ritz Carlton and the next day he's there in a wash'n wear sport shirt from JC Penny's. Seems like a strange time to retire, in the middle of a crisis.......... I guess its difficult to figure out anything with the crew in Washington calling the shotz!

Looks like he officially retired 30 June. So I guess he stopped wearing the uniform when he retired.
    See this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thad_Allen