Thread: ALUMINUM WHEEL LUG NUT TORQUE SPEC.

Question ALUMINUM WHEEL LUG NUT TORQUE SPEC.

What is the torque value required for Aluminum Wheel lug nuts?

Is it the same value for steer, drive and tag?

The X12 wrench is suggesting 450 ft#. I don't know if that is right for a Prevost?

Thanks, JIM

JC
    Alcoa recommends 450-500 ft. lbs. for aluminum wheels. Or 350-400 ft lbs. lubricated with SAE 30W oil. I do not recommend using oil...

I read somewhere that all wheel lug nuts are to be dry. No oil or lubricant is to be used.

I do not know the torque spec for our steel inner drive axle wheels, but that might be worth checking also.

Both wheels, steel and aluminum 450-500 ft. lbs.

Using the X-12 it is suggested you set the torque wrench to 45 ft. lbs. (45 X 12 =540, minus 10% for X-12 driveline drag which brings the actual torque on the lug nuts within range.)

What is X-12 some sort of multiplier for attaining correct torque?

The X-12 is a 12 to 1 torque multiplier. It is heavy and pricey, but if you want to be able to change your own tires and do not have access to a 1" impact wrench or air it will do the job nicely.

It is an ideal tool for tightening the wheels to the proper torque after they have been lightly snugged up with an impact wrench. An alternative is to use torque sticks with an impact wrench.

Watching a tire guy slam your lug nuts home with an impact wrench with no regard to tightening specs will bring tears to your eyes.