Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stranded in Flagstaff

Exclamation

Fred, the hub oil leak should not be treated casually or taken as insignificant.

Check it out as soon as you are able!!

JIM

Fred,

If your generator has not been run under heavy loads it needs to be. Run it often, and keep increasing the loads. The fact that it starts rough suggests it might be carboned up internally and just needs to get a hard workout to clean up. If it was the fuel pump my guess is it wouldn't run with any load on it. Just guessing, but before you spend ton's of money be patient and try to work it.

As to the leaky hub seal that is a relatively easy cheap fix (maybe $50 for the seal and a couple of hours labor depending on which axle) but failure to do so will have serious consequences. Until you get it fixed make sure the differential (if on the drive axle) or the hub (if on the steer or tag) has lubricating oil. Do not overfill the front or tag hubs. The fluid level needs to be approximately 1/8" above the bottom of the clear plastic.

This is a guess, but as you exercise the bus you are likely to find other things that show up, including other leaking hub seals (don't mess with them unless they leak), leaky suspension valves (creating the leans), etc. This is normal stuff and once you get past the transition from a coach that sat idle for a while to one where it is being used regularly things will be pretty trouble free.

If you do your own work I can talk you through a hub seal replacement.

Fred, regarding hub seals I went through several in a short period of time with my first coach.

When we got that coach we were living in NY state and we ended up using the coach frequently. We traveled a lot and used it to get to trade shows so it was on the road often with zero problems. When we moved to Knoxville the use of the coach all but stopped for almost 2 years because we were finishing up our new house and settling in. When we got back to using the coach I had three hub seals start to leak in succession. I replaced them and until I sold the coach never again had an issue with the hub seals.

Our current coach was used frequently by the original owners and we have continued to use it often. I cannot tell if any were replaced prior to my purchase of the coach, but I have yet to have a single leak.

My point is our coaches are meant to be used and used often. I think we do more harm by not using them than we do by adding up the miles with frequent use.

Fred
    If the Generator and engine sat for a long time the fuel filters on either could have problems. I was told recently by Dick Wright of WRICO (the generator man) that the fuel pump pumps far more fuel then the motor uses, hence the need for a return line. The other thing he told me was that you should run the fuel line return bypass flow pet cock slightly open so that any air could easily bypass the intake of the engine. He didn't call it that by that is the only way I know how to describe it.
    GregM

Fred,

If you see oil on the outside of the wheel, you should take a look at the inside of the wheel with a flashlight from the opposite side of the bus, I would guess it will be very apparent. You should get that taken care of ASAP as it will only get worse in the heat we are experiencing. When you get it replaced, make certain the hub is filled with oil prior to it being put back on the axle. We have had two members with axle problems because of dry hubs being put back on the axles.

Change the fuel filter on the gen, it may be just that simple.

Default Hub leak

Good news on the hub leak. It's not the main seal. Checked the backside of both drive wheels and they're clean. Here's how it looks from the outside:

Had the very same thing on my 97. Passenger drive axle seemed to be leaking pulled the center cap and the leak was just on the front side it turned out to be the drive flange gasket not the seal. Very easy fix and just penneys so to speak for the gasket, hope that is all you find. Happy travels, Bill.
    2005 Parliament XL-II SS
    2007 Avalanche

Some Generator fuel filters are made of folded papercartridges. As these soak ovrr time the come apart and plug every thing down stream of them.
    Whatch these closly and change often or find a better built one.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali