Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95 Marathon

Default 95 Marathon

What is the major difference between a 95 and 99 prevost, mainly the ride, suspension and amenities. Looking at one and just wondering if i should purchase a 95 marathon. This is not what i really want. I want a coach with factory bus air like liberty. I am new at this, just coming off plastic coaches 92 & 99 Beaver Marquis and going for my dream.

Hi George. There are many people who will know more than I on this but as I understand it, the 95 will have the older model diesel engine and transmission. On either year its best to know what maintenace, upkeep and replacement of parts etc have been done. Keep in mind the chasis is probablly a year earlier in build than the actual conversion by Marathon.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by george frudakis View Post
    What is the major difference between a 95 and 99 prevost, mainly the ride, suspension and amenities. Looking at one and just wondering if i should purchase a 95 marathon. This is not what i really want. I want a coach with factory bus air like liberty. I am new at this, just coming off plastic coaches 92 & 99 Beaver Marquis and going for my dream.
    George, it is not worth compromising a dream, unless it is an impossible dream. Be vigilant and persistent and focused, you will realize your dream, that is the SECRET!

JIM

George,

If you may want to stay in the BAC, I know of one of Beaver Busses that may still be up for grabs. Its a nice 1991, Beaver Prevost Bus #9. Also, Bus #6 was for sale, I would need to call the owner to see if he is still in the seilling mind. It has only 62,000 miles .
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 07-08-2010 at 12:43 AM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

George, Welcome to the asylum. This is the place where you will always get answers, and on certain rare occasions some of them may be correct.

The difference between a 95 and 99 chassis is the front suspension and possibly the engine/transmission.

I'm oversimplifying, but those will be the major items. The older coach has a straight front axle, whereas the newer one has IFS, or independent front suspension. I am not certain any of us can tell which suspension the coach has be evaluating its ride and handling, but the newer one will have a slightly better turning radius. Read through the posts on this sight because lately it seems there has been a lot of discussion about the maintenance associated with IFS. If you consider buying one with IFS make certain you get a very careful inspection done on it by Prevost.

The 1995 coaches are right in the age group that may have the Series 60 Detroit Diesel engine or the older 8V92. Both are good engines, both are durable, but the 8V92 is a 2 cycle that does not deliver the MPG of the Series 60. In that vintage expect the 8V92 to be a 5.5 to 6.0 MPG engine, and the Series 60 to be a 7.5 to 8.0 MPG engine. Also, if the coach is an early Series 60 coach it may have the Allison 5 speed transmission, or if it is a later model it will have what was then called the "World" transmission, a six speed. The earlier model transmission was a good very robust one, but the newer transmission shifts smoother and provides the ability to select performance or economy modes.

Both model years are what we have been calling rivet coaches and probably represent the most trouble free chassis years because that model had been produced so long by Prevost and had been converted by the converters for so many years. Good luck in your search. Jim has given good advice. Don't compromise, but instead focus on getting exactly what you want. A well maintained Prevost conversion will provide many miles of reliable use and it is unlikely any of us will wear one out.

is this a 40 or 45??,the one main change would be independant sus.,the 95 could have the burke air valves(when the 45 came out they had engineers that changed the air system ,not for the good, different brand valves,and the function of the tag axle lift)most of these have been changed out in recalls,the first 6 months of the 45 they used the 5 speed trans. then they went to the world,you also bring up the ac system which prevost did not go to the 134a well after it was a law in the us,the 97 to 99 engines, the 470 h got very good mil. and power,before they went to 500 and thru epa req have lost both since,in 95 the converters where still using 3000w inverters,about this time marathon and vantare,went to trace 4000 so they could run 2 house airs off the alt,so not to have to have a bus air,to gain storage space,there,s alot more,when i help people look at coaches i ask questions of life style,how are you going to use the coach ,do you dry camp,or do you stop every nite,so if i can help .rick

dreamchasers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by george frudakis View Post
    I own a 1995 Country Coach, 45', series-60 and the World 6 speed transmission. I am happy with the performance and rate it above the 40' American Eagle I previously owned.

My coach has the R-12 refrigeration systems on both the dash air and bus air. R-12 is available, expensive, but available. I purchased a 30 pound container on EBay. Once I overhauled both AC systems and had a good pressure leak, the engine driven AC have worked great. I have not added any R-12 since the rebuilds. I still have approximately 1/2 of the 30 pound container left. My Country Coach has Country Coach bus air and it works great with R-12.

I had independent suspension on my American Eagle and this coach has straight axle front end. I have not noticed a difference in driving these coaches that would offer any comments on the benefits of the front axle, straight or independent. My straight axle works! Perhaps others with independent front suspension can offer comments.

Hector

I am told that the 2000 to 97 have the best mpg and horse power do to epa regulation on 2000 and after. What is the best year with the fewest problems and give the best service? I believe i leaning toward liberty due to over the road air.

I had a 01 Marathon that had bus air and a Detroit Diesel DDEC 3 and it would get 7-7.5 MPG,I also had a 05 Liberty with a DDEC 4 and it would never get over 6 MPG.Both of those are with a Chevrolet 4 door truck in tow.

We are in favor of the solid front axle on our current coach (a 1992 XL) after the previous 3, all newer, had the IFS. We find the IFS wears the tire edges (outer rib) on either side of tire, rather quickly in as little as 40K miles with VERY noticeable wear. This is with no alignment issues, and tire pressure to spec per Michelin Chart for weight carried by the front tires.
    The 1999 shell/2001 CC, 2001 XLII single slide, 2000 H3-45, all wore the outer and inner tire ribs. After 60000 miles on the H3-45 which didn't have heaviest front axle weight compared to the XL45 and XLII45, the tires needed to be replaced.
    As for mileage, since our H3-45 had crested the magic 100,000 miles, it was like a switch was thrown and mileage rose to the 7.4-8 mpg towing 5700 lb towed. When we sold it and it was delivered to it new owner, uphill from Southern Ca to Nevada, we were told it achieved 8.2 mpg per the DDEC info screen.
    Also, as small as they are, we believe rivets, and rooftop A/C units contribute to overall drag , our H3-45 with cruise airs and flat sides tapered toward the roof line, and windshield rake get better mileage than our other Stainless coaches. Our 1992 Beaver 40 XL has an 8V-92, and it is what it is, a V-8 with an appetite. We just fill the 250 gallon tank and hit the highway with smiles.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 07-09-2010 at 12:51 AM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40