Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roadside assistance

Default roadside assistance

Which company has the best roadside assistance program?

Dan,

It is doubtful unless someone is running a fleet and can compare various providers that anyone here can give you more than anecdotal evidence.

Having said that, there is one thing to remember. If you need roadside assistance you need to be talking to someone who clearly understands the difference between a motorhome and a bus conversion. You clearly will not benefit from the local RV service truck, but instead will need a truck and mechanic familiar with charter buses or large trucks. The greatest concenr you will have is not only getting a wrecker with sufficient reach to get under your front axle and still make sharp turns, or a lowboy trailer with ramps sufficiently sloped so the front end of your bus is not damaged during loading, but that the wrecker will take you to a qualified shop, and not an RV store with expertise in 26 foot travel trailers.

We had Road America for our first few years and have gone without for the last 16 or 17 years. Your insurance company may have a provision to reimburse you for expenses so you may not even need roadside assistance.

Do not overlook the access you have to Prevost, Detroit Diesel and Allison. They all have service facilities or knowledge of service facilities all around the country.

What Jon said. Roadside assistance is one thing, but, it will cost big time if you require towing by a qualified big rig (truck/bus) outfit, to a qualified shop.

We have experienced this the hard way, with just a 35' metal coach.

Over the years (20 and counting) we have had numerous issues. They ranged from a broken bolt that caused our radiator fan to quit, to engine and transmission SEL and CEL, to a fire in the engine compartment. All but the engine compartment fire were fixed on the spot without a tow.

When a tow was required due to the fire, I gave the SC State Trooper my requirements for towing and the first wrecker in the rotation was sent away because his truck was inadequate. He did not have enough reach and I was afraid he would damage the front of my bus when he made turns. The second truck was capable and I had approval from the insurance company (National Interstate) to have it towed to Prevost Jacksonville, and I was reimbursed by them. That tow was a 180 mile distance.

So for 20 years I had no tows or roadside service that would have been reimbursed by Road America if I had continued to pay my $89 costs. I made two of the repairs necessary, Prevost sent a Detroit Allison dealer to me for the problem with the computers and covered the costs because the problem should have never occurred despit the coach being 5 years old with 100,000 miles, and the insurance company covered the tow and repairs on the fire.

Without any roadside assistance membership I am in total control of who is sent to repair or tow my coach, not some person sitting at a computer who cannot comprehend you are driving a bus.

I've been covered by Progressive for the 8 years that I've owned the American Eagle. I've had it towed twice using a a tow company that worked with big rigs and had no problems with either Progressive or the tow company. Progressive worked with me to find the tow company and had the bill sent to them. The first time I blew a turbo and the second time I took a trip through the median at 70 MPH on five good tires and one flat front. Of course now that I own a Prevost I don't expect to have any more pesky problems like I've had in the past but I've kept the Progressive coverage just in case.

To revive a dead thread...

So, no company to call (currently we have Good Sam) and you get a flat on the road. Who tows/fixes?
    Major mechanical. Who tows/fixes?
    Damage from accident. Same question.

I have always had CoachNet " National Motor Club " now. http://nmca.com/services/rv?SourceHo...s/Default.aspx I have only called on them a couple of times, but they have been very helpful and prompt every time.

Gary S.

I also have Coachnet. They are an RV oriented provider although probably not overly familiar with our buses. The one time I almost used their service was when I had an issue with my toad (also covered with the policy) they were willing to tow it on a flatbed truck back to where my bus was located, approximately 60 miles, without hesitation. Ultimately I corrected the issue myself and canceled the truck before it arrived but was impressed with their willingness to work with me.

My only experience with Coachnet was good. I will be perfectly happy if it is my one and only. I was not even in the coach, but in one of my cars. As the previous poster said, they cover them as well.

I used coachnet about 4 times only once for towing they are great.