Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24V Alternator

Default 24V Alternator

My 24v alternator has frozen up , the flywheel will not turn. This caused me to lose 2 belts.

I am told I will need a new one. Any ideas where to look and what I should expect to pay?

Thanks

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_Bradford View Post
    My 24v alternator has frozen up , the flywheel will not turn. This caused me to lose 2 belts.

I am told I will need a new one. Any ideas where to look and what I should expect to pay?

Thanks

Jamie
    Look here, the price is about as reasonable as it gets. Call for price.

http://www.elreg.com/

JIM

is this the engine mounted or the frame mounted,it makes a difference on the reinstall

Here is a pic Rick.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 Chevy Avalanche

I'll jump in here for Jamie. Rick, it's the frame mounted 24 volt chassis alternator that sits under the CC OTR and runs off the same dual belt. The big engine mounted alternator is his 12 volt. Here's a pic..

IMG_2264_1..JPG

Jamie - Did I do good, I want Dear to be happy!!! You may be able to get it rebuilt if your at home with any heavy truck alternator place near by.

Hi Tom

Thanks for the input. We are in Michigan and I am going to try Tuesday to see if I can find anyone up here to rebuilt it. If not , I guess I will have to look for a new/refurbished one or see if it can be sent off somewhere??

Thanks

Jamie

2013 Chevy Avalanche

I found someone up here who can rebuild it. Has anyone taken this off before?? Is there anything "special" that I should know???

Thanks

Jamie

2013 Chevy Avalanche

dreamchasers Guest

Jamie,

I have removed mine to rebuild and replace both main bearings. I shut off 12 and 24 volt power at the Prevost switches in the battery compartment. I do not recall anything special that I did. Be sure and isolate the cables that you remove so that you avoid any major arcs. I removed the case that the alternator is mounted in at the same time. I wanted to repaint it. The alternator has to be slipped out of the case towards the front of the coach. I had a local vehicle electric repair facility be build it.

When I replaced the Country Coach bus air compressor, I reached down and spun the pulley and my bearing were rough. They little check prompted the rebuilt.

Sorry, I took no pictures.

Good Luck,

Hector

Hector

Jamie, That is basically a GM alternator wound for 24 volts. It should not be hard to find or rebuild. Like Hector said tape or protect the wire ends. The large adjistment shaft makes it easy to tighten the belts when completed. Get it out of your way to remove the alternator.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jamie,

Assuming your going to put new belts back on, it's much easier if you remove the idler pulley on your bus.