Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which brand is Best and why

I’ve been doing some extensive research for the bedroom HDTV sound system. You may recall I was leaning to the Bose Cinemate GS for the bedroom of the bus but was pretty leery of the remote control being compatible. I received a tip to research sound bars.

Has any of you audiophiles used one of these yet? Every manufacturer is making these and I looked closely at Sony and Samsung and like the Samsung for many reasons. Sony had a nice HDMI switching network and a lot of utility as I have become accustom to with Sony but the real news in my opinion is Samsung here. Their HT-BD8200 model not only is a great looking sound bar but it is equipped with a wireless subwoofer for ease of installation and many more features. They have incorporated their micro Bluray player in the middle of the soundbar which is another big plus especially since they kept the sound bar to 1” thick to match their new LED HDTVs. As I’m learning, Samsung seems to be incorporating wireless streaming into everything they're producing these days but they have added auto shutoff, multifunction remote function with their TVs, iPod cradle, USB port, and Bluray able to play DVD (upconverted to 1080p), Divix, as well as almost any media format out there.

Reviews are good to great with the biggest complaint being there is only one Digital audio input. I pondered on this and for a bus bedroom application I can’t see any other device needing amplified seperately. The Bluray is built in and the only other thing I can think of that might need sound might be a video game but once connected to a tv input it too would be broadcasted in 2.1 surround through this system.

I’m one to keep things uniform throughout the entire bus but this unit solves a lot of problems with the Bose remote compatability and adds a space savings bluray and wireless sub to boot.

I would love to hear from anyone in the group that has used one of these.

Default Media Server

As far as media servers go, I'm a big fan of the Sony PS-3 game console. Forget about the games, it's a great Blue-Ray, DVD, CD player, plays most digital files, and can play files stored on your PC. It also has USB and SD Card slots so you can pop the memory card out of your camera and put them right on the TV screen in nothing flat. Most of them have a 60GB hard drive, which isn't all that large, but, it's still a heck of a lot of material. For $300, it's a smoking hot deal. Be sure and get the Bluetooth Remote, which is also very nice.

Default New Integrated entertainment system is going in the Royale

Well, the new Samsung LED HDTV, blueray, surround system as well as the HDTV DirecTV satellite system and wireless cellular router system is going into the Royale this next coming week. I’ve been bench testing the system components for the past two weeks and like the incredible amount of streamed media and information that is provided from the wireless cellular router as well as the more traditional means of content from the blueray, XM, and satellite TV. How nice it will be to simply click on an onscreen icon for everyday items of interest like local weather, news and events. The LED HDTV screens are very pleasant to watch with their crystal clear displays and are very compact and light form factor. The integrated sound system is so nice to operate with the AllShare integration using the HDMI (CEC) technology. Simply said, one remote operates all sources of entertainment with a single button selection and an on-screen display. No more bulky remotes and menus to navigate to see all sources in full 1080p and full Dolby Digital Surround.

Speaking of surround, I’ve decided to use an enhanced & integrated Bose system to deliver the sound in the bus. Although Bose doesn’t fully embrace HDMI, Blueray or friendly remote interfacing, they do have a leg up on speaker sound quality and ease of installation since my Royale came with a Bose lifestyle 30 system. I’m converting the existing Bose system to an AM10 Bose system that will use the same jewel speakers currently in place and take the 5.1 surround signal from the integrated Samsung Blueray/surround system and plumb in through the Bose speaker system. This affords me the capability of high quality sound but still uses the sexy Samsung Allshare integration features as well as a single user friendly remote control and onscreen menu.

I'll be posting more detailed results & reviews on my website for anyone how may be interested. Should be a bit of fun to see this fully integrated internet, DTV, XM, Satellite, and blueray entertainment system in action. feel free to come take a look at the POG rally in Kerrville coming up this year.

One thing I can't wait to try in the big rig is our Apple TV. We have bose and my son told me I can hook up my iPhone and my Apple TV to the bose and use it like I do at home. We have access to already recorded movies, tv shows, music, podcasts, family photos and more. I love my apple tv and use it every day.

An Apple TV is a no-brainer, especially if you have a wireless internet in your bus. If you don't, you can pre-load movies etc before bringing the ATV into your vehicle.

If you don't have wireless, but do have a cellular modem for PC, you can use a CradlePoint router to create a wireless system. This is how we setup Ken Z (Bluevost) with ATV in his bus.

ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    An Apple TV is a no-brainer, especially if you have a wireless internet in your bus.
    Ray,

Does your Crestron system work with the Apple TV?

I honestly don't know. I would venture that the crestron could learn the apple remote codes but the apple remote only has about 4 buttons. It would be with a try. You would have the crestron learn the codes and then you have to pair the apple tv with the remote in the atv menu.

I was more concerned about getting content down to the unit so this wasn't something I have tried.

Ray

Thumbs up New entertainment system is in

Well folks the new HDTVs are in and working marvelously!

The Samsung LED HDTVs have great picture quality making the SD content even look like HD. They TVs run cool and can be seen from just about any angle with no degrading of the picture quality. I hinged the Flat Panels to access the theater system, Satellite Reicever, and Media center. I like how the Samsung Bluray/theater system seemlessly integrates with the TVs and provides all internet content like weather, music, video and music. The new Bose AM10 rivals the theaters you go pay to watch. I can't wait to get the Mini Mac media server going so that all wireless internet devices can have access as well as share on all the HD Flat planels.

I used vinyl covered racks for shelves to make the equipment cabinets breath without fan forced air. So far the cabinets don't get over 100 degrees without airconditioning in the bus. I left room for fans if needed but hoping I won't need then.

Thumbs up

That's so nice, I don't know what else to say.

JIM

Gary,
    That is a GREAT looking installation in that vintage Royale! Did you do the cabinetry work? Also, what are you using for HD Sat? I assume a MotoSat. Do you also have an in-motion dish? If so, what about switching between the two? Hopefully I will be looking at some of the same options soon. Please advise.
    John & Janene Browder
    Knoxville, TN
    2008 Marathon H3-3S