Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fuel economy

Default Fuel Economy redux

Okay. Here's the scoop on Peter. As a dear friend and acknowledging that he would give his buddies the shirt off his back:
    1. Peter is a very smart mechanical engineer, entrepreneur and retiree.
    2. For you aviators, he is an A&P, I.A. and one hell of a pilot besides.
    3. He approaches all problems from an engineering standpoint including social, political and religeous issues.
    4. He is almost always right.
    5. His wife and kids (his boys engineers also) are smarter than he is.
    6. He makes Jon look like a piker when is comes to being annal, however out of respect should be referred to as A-2.
    7. He deserves to be kidded, and should always (like JDub and others) be addressed as "whippersnapper".

BrianE
    94Liberty XL

Hey Roger,

We travelled 415 miles home from Santa Fe while towing the Airstream van at a speed of 65, and got 7.5 mpg. Gross combined weight between coach adn van (51,560 lbs and the van 8,560 lbs) 60,120 lbs, we thought was good mileage.

Orren Zook Guest

There are a couple of different types of air filter restriction guages, most are similar to the photo shown in this thread. Wet or rainy operating conditions will cause this type of guage to show excessive restriction and when the filter element dries out sufficiently the guage will then read less restriction when reset. No sense changing an expensive element prematurely. A more accurate reading may be obtained by using a dash mounted vacuum guage and replacing your element when 27 inches of vacuum is reached - you can watch the air filter restriction under actual driving conditions this way rather than reading the Farr type guage when the motor is shut off.
    On the K&N topic, I used one for a while until one day while washing it to re-oil the element I realized that the rubber gasket on the inlet side had compressed substantially.... air cleaners that don't seal properly can't do the job they're designed to do, so I went back to using paper elements.
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 10-21-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Petervs, Very informative post. Probably reminds some of my tire pressure post, HOWEVER we run a MECHANICAL 8V92TA and it gets about 51/2 at ANY speed and although we havent changed the element yet I can tell you my mechanical 3406B Cat in our Pete will go further on a tank of fuel with a clean filter.

This post was not to help most of the members as I know most are computer controled powerplants but to stand by Lew, my newest best friend

Peter,

We will never try to convince you nitrogen improves mileage because we already know the real answer is helium. By lightening the coach via the use of helium filled tires the energy required to go up hills is reduced, and therefore fuel consumption is reduced.

As a contender for the anal award (and probable winner) I expect you will soon realize that with few exceptions you are dealing with folks who believe LEDs will reduce fuel consumption due to the reduced electrical load on the alternator. It is lonely here in anal land

Whatever you do, try not to expect POG members who have the attention span of a gnat to stick to a topic, or understand anything more complex than simple addition or subtraction. Remember, these folks are still struggling with the concept of emptying the holding tank.

Just so there is no doubt as to the mentality of those who frequent this site, (and who are aiming 50,000 pound buses down a highway), an award is given to folks who drive into rocks, and an award is given to folks who think lights and shiny surfaces are more important than having a bus that actually runs. It is lonely here in anal land.

BTW, how much did you pay Brian to write that puff piece? Did you annual his plane for free? Do the annual on my P210 and I will write nicer words than Brian ever could.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Default Too Much of a Good Thing?

While there has been a decades-long struggle to reduce unsprung weight in vehicles for the benefit of handling, weight distribution and stopping distance, the advent of the Bilstein gas-shock was considered to be a real breakthrough.

Recent research has clearly demonstrated that there are wide variety of possibilities in reducing unsprung weight, but the implementation of theoretical strategies has been difficult from an engineering point of view.

It would appear that further R & D will be necessary to enhance tread-to-pavement compatibility.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably the most fuel effecient Prevo on the road.

king_2922.jpg

win42 Guest

Since this topic is leaning toward one upmanship, I can't keep my secret to solving my fuel costs problem away any longer. Since purchasing two oil company stocks 3-4 years ago Chevron is up 91% and Exxon Mobile is up 77%.
    After a long trip such as POG2 I add up my fuel costs, go to the computer and check these two stocks and get a warm fuzzy feeling. So please help this 8V92 owner with his fuel costs by purchasing your fuel at the above companies. I always seem to find some way to piss off the Liberals a little more. Oh Well !!
    Harry

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Win42 - There must be something very important to you to explain your current State of residence.

win42 Guest

Joe: I was just stating one instance of being lucky. It can all go away tomorrow. No I'm not in the habit of blowing smoke. Like you I worked hard all my life to get a little ahead and am not ashamed of it. Try to look at the humorous side of that single situation. I despise the high fuel prices as much as anyone.
    Harry